Scotland RL

I’m interested in the make-up of the Eagles squad.

How many are local (Scottish) ‘league first’ players? Or are most union and league players, or league players from the traditional heartlands?

I’d imagine it is a mix, but would be interesting to have a rough breakdown

• Like 1

Edinburgh have a free weekend but travel to Newcastle this Thursday to play in the North East League 9’s tournament KO 12:30pm at Kingston Park

Scottish National League returns this weekend Rd 2 which see’s Glasgow take on Forth Valley at Glasgow club Nethercraigs KO 2pm

Scotland RL announced new development days for our U16’s on 5th June at Dalkeith rugby club

Meanwhile recent good turnout for the U19’s and Students prior to a tri nations event in Ireland in June

• Like 2

Glasgow 26 - 52 Forth Valley Vikings 

Vikings make it 2 in a row with Glasgow making progress with every game played, well done to all the players 

The Vikings travel north to Aberdeen next Saturday to take on the Warriors 

Warriors taking this last year 84-10 but the Vikings are a year older wiser smarter so should be a good game 

KO 2pm

Some highlights of the Eagles Catterick game

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

NERL RD 4
Cramlington 44 - 22 Edinburgh 

SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP RD 3

Aberdeen 70 - 22 Forth Valley 

The Aberdeen v Forth Valley game was apparently fairly close for an hour and then Aberdeen ran away at the end with 5 unanswered tries. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Edinburgh are back in action this weekend away to Jarrow Vikings 1330pm Monkton Stadium Jarrow

Sadly due to lack of games and I’ve no doubt little support Aberdeen Warriors have called it a day for 2022 but hope to be back in 2023, basically making this season virtually a non starter now 

Hopefully Glasgow and Forth carry on with some games 

Victoria Hogg has been appointed the new chair of Scotland RL hopefully this appointment will spur interest and support for the domestic game, which it badly needs 

The game in Scotland always seems to struggle to progress beyond a few clubs to then have any chance of growing into anything more meaningful. It just highlights how difficult these things are when it is all reliant on well meaning volunteers doing their best.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

The game in Scotland always seems to struggle to progress beyond a few clubs to then have any chance of growing into anything more meaningful. It just highlights how difficult these things are when it is all reliant on well meaning volunteers doing their best.

It'd be interesting to compare the size of the game there to when they received the RFL funding, plus we played various major events at Murrayfield. 

If we are serious about wanting to support the other Home Nations I think we should be looking at staging an event or two annually in each of them. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It'd be interesting to compare the size of the game there to when they received the RFL funding, plus we played various major events at Murrayfield. 

If we are serious about wanting to support the other Home Nations I think we should be looking at staging an event or two annually in each of them. 

I think there is only any point in playing events there if there is some sort of joined up, cohesive approach with funding behind it. Scotland matches in Scotland should be a no brainer though.

I seem to recall that RL was doing quite well at one time in schools in Glasgow when the funding was there for development officers. It takes time and effort and as we have seen time and again there is little point doing these things unless you are in it for the long haul because the game just withers back to what it was, or worse as people are just left disillusioned and alienated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I think there is only any point in playing events there if there is some sort of joined up, cohesive approach with funding behind it. Scotland matches in Scotland should be a no brainer though.

I seem to recall that RL was doing quite well at one time in schools in Glasgow when the funding was there for development officers. It takes time and effort and as we have seen time and again there is little point doing these things unless you are in it for the long haul because the game just withers back to what it was, or worse as people are just left disillusioned and alienated.

Yeah that's what I refer to really, if we think back to 2000 to maybe the mid 2010's we had finding via the RFL, then we played Challenge Cup Finals, Magic Weekends, on the road games, Scotland played games in Scotland. 

It's all concerted effort but really without costing the earth. It's this kind of thing I think we should be doing with targeted areas. We seem to be doing this with Newcastle, should be doing it with London, but are now ignoring any other population centres. 

• Like 1

To be honest, this will be the second RLWC in a row where Scotland have participated despite not meeting the IRL's membership criteria. It should be the last. If they can't find 4 teams to play a domestic competition that lasts a minimum of 1 round of fixtures (the - frankly pathetic - minimum requirement for an affiliate member, their current status) then they shouldn't be playing in the World Cup. There really does have to be a minimum standard enforced. 

• Like 5

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Your right since funding from the RL stopped, RL in Scotland has really been a struggle. Fortunately the volunteers do a massive job in keeping it going.

Im unsure what help Scotland RL give to the likes of Forth Valley etc but I suspect it’s negligible if anything. What is frustrating Scottish RL do development days at u16 u19 level etc which is great but what the hell for when there’s nothing for them to play for, no development league no u19 league, just a bunch of lads playing a few games then they disperse. Recently spending cash on sending a U19 team to Ireland to play some international matches when the money could be spent on the domestic game.

Also what I’ve noticed especially this year is the total lack of social media coverage the national body gives the league where Wales and Ireland are all over this. 
we've a WC coming up, bunch of guys representing Scotland but who knows apart from maybe a couple of thousand will even know this, and with  no real domestic league out there to highlight that RL is played here I really don’t see the point anymore. 
Maybe they expect the WC will be the golden chalice of cash and will see an injection of money into the game. 
In a recent article pst players bemoaned that the game isn’t what it was, well maybe these guys who drew with NZ should come up and give something back and help with coaching, getting people interested, 

the total lack of international’s don’t help but I guess it’s down to cash which appears to be scarce. If action isn’t taken soon what scraps of RL Scotland have will just go 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

To be honest, this will be the second RLWC in a row where Scotland have participated despite not meeting the IRL's membership criteria. It should be the last. If they can't find 4 teams to play a domestic competition that lasts a minimum of 1 round of fixtures (the - frankly pathetic - minimum requirement for an affiliate member, their current status) then they shouldn't be playing in the World Cup. There really does have to be a minimum standard enforced. 

Agreed, I’d love to see a strong domestic scene in Scotland but as there isn’t, and as their national team are almost exclusively from other countries, I’d much rather see a country like Serbia in the WC. 

It's a perennial problem of relatively large distances and not enough clubs. But they should be focusing on youth age development to bring a conveyor belt through to sustain open age clubs. That creates more sustainable clubs which are actually built on foundations rather than a bunch of guys thrown together. Sadly only Edinburgh seem to be setup with any semblance of longevity

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It's a perennial problem of relatively large distances and not enough clubs. But they should be focusing on youth age development to bring a conveyor belt through to sustain open age clubs. That creates more sustainable clubs which are actually built on foundations rather than a bunch of guys thrown together. Sadly only Edinburgh seem to be setup with any semblance of longevity

And I may be wrong but even Edinburgh are not a particularly strong club, they do just seem to have a group of players who are interested and they manage to play games. There is no youth rugbyeafue anywhere that I know of apart from some kids sessions in some schools out Glasgow way. 

I'm sure 2blackrooks will keep us right if that is incorrect. 

• Like 1