Scotland RL

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And I may be wrong but even Edinburgh are not a particularly strong club, they do just seem to have a group of players who are interested and they manage to play games. There is no youth rugbyeafue anywhere that I know of apart from some kids sessions in some schools out Glasgow way. 

I'm sure 2blackrooks will keep us right if that is incorrect. 

You're right, but Edinburgh have plans for youth setup

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It's a perennial problem of relatively large distances and not enough clubs. But they should be focusing on youth age development to bring a conveyor belt through to sustain open age clubs. That creates more sustainable clubs which are actually built on foundations rather than a bunch of guys thrown together. Sadly only Edinburgh seem to be setup with any semblance of longevity

Who should be focusing on youth development? Clubs who are lucky to get 15 blokes together to play a match aren’t going to be funding youth development. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who should be focusing on youth development? Clubs who are lucky to get 15 blokes together to play a match aren’t going to be funding youth development. 

Ultimately it doesn't come down to one individual or body. It requires a holistic 360 degree approach, bringing together support from the governing body, clubs, public bodies, private companies, volunteers 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

It's a perennial problem of relatively large distances and not enough clubs. But they should be focusing on youth age development to bring a conveyor belt through to sustain open age clubs. That creates more sustainable clubs which are actually built on foundations rather than a bunch of guys thrown together. Sadly only Edinburgh seem to be setup with any semblance of longevity

The trouble is in Scottish RL there doesn't seem to be much of this 'they' you refer to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edinburgh do have and building a good sustainable set up and their next step is to build a youth set up. 
Strathmore recently did youth coaching sessions in RL but they are predominantly a Union squad

Scottish RL just last weekend held an u16 development session but then what, there’s nothing for these kids to go to 

I could probably get a dozen or so kids together this weekend play a bit of league then say goodbye thanks for turning but there’s absolutely nothing to follow this on, no clubs to go and play for

I know it’s not fair to constantly bash Scotland RL I’m not privy to any plans they have or have in place but they never release anything they certainly haven’t supported the clubs on Social media but they will post about sending a U19 team to Ireland to play in an international tournament, but where are these guys going after this ??? No clubs to play for, Nigeria can muster 8 teams Ghana 7 teams even put the games on YouTube. Scotland nothing

There are a lot of Union players out there to tap into, many union clubs have packed in, it just needs some proactive action. We’ve in essence lost  4 teams this season, they say they will be back but will they I just fear for Glasgow and Forth valley now

• Like 8

20 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Ultimately it doesn't come down to one individual or body. It requires a holistic 360 degree approach, bringing together support from the governing body, clubs, public bodies, private companies, volunteers 

Why don’t you offer to help Scotland RL do that? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Predominately because I have 2  young children and spend quite a lot of time travelling for my job so free time is at a premium. Also, I believe you really need to be based in Scotland to effectively undertake this. 

FWIW I’m sure the governing body knows what is required but just doesn’t have the resources or a particularly receptive audience. 

It is interesting that the Irish seem to be making more traction in a more congested sporting market though (also up against GAA and hurling) 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 16:08, 2blackrooks said:

Edinburgh do have and building a good sustainable set up and their next step is to build a youth set up. 
Strathmore recently did youth coaching sessions in RL but they are predominantly a Union squad

Scottish RL just last weekend held an u16 development session but then what, there’s nothing for these kids to go to 

I could probably get a dozen or so kids together this weekend play a bit of league then say goodbye thanks for turning but there’s absolutely nothing to follow this on, no clubs to go and play for

I know it’s not fair to constantly bash Scotland RL I’m not privy to any plans they have or have in place but they never release anything they certainly haven’t supported the clubs on Social media but they will post about sending a U19 team to Ireland to play in an international tournament, but where are these guys going after this ??? No clubs to play for, Nigeria can muster 8 teams Ghana 7 teams even put the games on YouTube. Scotland nothing

There are a lot of Union players out there to tap into, many union clubs have packed in, it just needs some proactive action. We’ve in essence lost  4 teams this season, they say they will be back but will they I just fear for Glasgow and Forth valley now

It is fair to bash them and more people should be bashing them and the people in charge of the game as a whole. The game is a rudderless shambles!

On 02/07/2022 at 10:55, Eddie said:

Give me some money and i'll do it.

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

6 hours ago, MattSantos said:

It is fair to bash them and more people should be bashing them and the people in charge of the game as a whole. The game is a rudderless shambles!

Give me some money and i'll do it.

So you won’t do it voluntarily to help the game then? If not why should anyone else? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

So you won’t do it voluntarily to help the game then? If not why should anyone else? 

Im not saying they should.

The governing bodies, international, whomever should be funding something. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Bloody hell, this constant “why don’t you volunteer, then?” anytime anybody has an opinion on the sport and how it’s run anywhere is painful. 

That or just complete rejection any idea which expands the sport. I think some people on here are happy for the sport to be confined to the M62 + Cumbria.

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Hence my comment, "the game is a rudderless shambles"

Yes you could put it that way.

In the absence of a pot of cash, we are dependent on the capabilities of those great ''can-do'' people like those from Oxford Uni, currently touring Ghana (and those in Ghana) and Bob Brown et al, from Hemel Hempstead and the myriad others who run amateur sporting clubs the length and breadth of the country and increasingly (as far as Rugby League is concerned) right across the world.

I regularly say a silent prayer of thanks, to those heroes, of indomitable spirit, who really love our game and who offer their spare time and effort, labouring away at what are always complex and usually thankless tasks, just for the pure joy of being involved. Sadly, they are too few and far between.

I think it is grossly unfair, and very disrespectful to refer to them as a ''shambles''.

My fondest wish is that we had more of them, rather than the shoddy bunch of know-alls we regularly seem to attract, standing there with their hands out waiting for someone to grease their palm, before they will deign to enlighten us all with their boundless wisdom and limitless energy. Sadly, they are ten a penny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Yes you could put it that way.

In the absence of a pot of cash, we are dependent on the capabilities of those great ''can-do'' people like those from Oxford Uni, currently touring Ghana (and those in Ghana) and Bob Brown et al, from Hemel Hempstead and the myriad others who run amateur sporting clubs the length and breadth of the country and increasingly (as far as Rugby League is concerned) right across the world.

I regularly say a silent prayer of thanks, to those heroes, of indomitable spirit, who really love our game and who offer their spare time and effort, labouring away at what are always complex and usually thankless tasks, just for the pure joy of being involved. Sadly, they are too few and far between.

I think it is grossly unfair, and very disrespectful to refer to them as a ''shambles''.

My fondest wish is that we had more of them, rather than the shoddy bunch of know-alls we regularly seem to attract, standing there with their hands out waiting for someone to grease their palm, before they will deign to enlighten us all with their boundless wisdom and limitless energy. Sadly, they are ten a penny. 

Are you ok?

Not once are Bob Brown and the ilk referred to as shambolic; it's the governing bodies and folk in charge who derserve that. 

My fondest wish is not that we had more, it's that they would not be needed in the 1st place to drive the sport forward.

4 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Are you ok?

Not once are Bob Brown and the ilk referred to as shambolic; it's the governing bodies and folk in charge who derserve that. 

My fondest wish is not that we had more, it's that they would not be needed in the 1st place to drive the sport forward.

No you didn't mention Bob Brown.

You referred to Scotland RL as a rudderless shambles. 

I defended the people who are making it work in Scotland, however modest their achievements to date. They are of the same ilk as Bob Brown and all the others.

Your fondest wish, is a naive pipe dream, the game will always depend on countless amateurs, players and administrators to run the game week in week out.

Dream on.

Oh by the way, I'm very well thank you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

No you didn't mention Bob Brown.

You referred to Scotland RL as a rudderless shambles. 

I defended the people who are making it work in Scotland, however modest their achievements to date. They are of the same ilk as Bob Brown and all the others.

Your fondest wish, is a naive pipe dream, the game will always depend on countless amateurs, players and administrators to run the game week in week out.

Dream on.

Oh by the way, I'm very well thank you.

I would defend them, too. Sadly, i only see the challenges becoming more difficult. 

Scotland RL is a rudderless shambles, the best team has to play in England... It's important to differentiate between a strategic (or lack of) plan which is the shambles and the folks who are trying their hardest. Semantics of course, but important nonetheless.

Solutions? Christ knows, but again, it wont be individuals on a volunteer basis, it needs a proper strategy which has to come from the RFL and/or International RL.

Scottish Cup semi final time Glasgow taking on Forth Valley today at Nethercraigs KO 2pm

Scottish RL giving the teams some much welcome and needed (about time) coverage 

Winners take on Edinburgh in the final on 23rd July

https://www.scotlandrl.com/2022/07/07/scottish-cup-semi-final/?fbclid=IwAR3wWHBnlIKtC1AwZVQ9v4KuVaGG4kmtZIWAa7z41EB7JgpmkqYQckBG97U&fs=e&s=cl

On 09/07/2022 at 12:26, 2blackrooks said:

Scottish Cup semi final time Glasgow taking on Forth Valley today at Nethercraigs KO 2pm

Scottish RL giving the teams some much welcome and needed (about time) coverage 

Winners take on Edinburgh in the final on 23rd July

https://www.scotlandrl.com/2022/07/07/scottish-cup-semi-final/?fbclid=IwAR3wWHBnlIKtC1AwZVQ9v4KuVaGG4kmtZIWAa7z41EB7JgpmkqYQckBG97U&fs=e&s=cl

Nothing on the website... shock!

What was the score? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...