Scotland RL

• 2 weeks later...

35 minutes ago, 2blackrooks said:

So Edinburgh retained the Scottish Cup beating a spirited Vikings 56-16 and enter the Challenge Cup

This weekend see’s Scotland u16’s take on England Community Lions 

KO 12 noon Dalkeith Rugby Club 

Thanks for the info mate. Do you know if Scotland under 16s are generally Scottish based or are they English with Scottish anscestory? 

(‘Thanks for the info mate. Do you know if Scotland under 16s are generally Scottish based or are they English with Scottish anscestory? ‘)

As far as I’m aware all Scottish born and bred or with Scottish nationality, a lot of clubs (laughable I know we only have a handful) have been doing a lot of work with juniors 

Also as part of a double header Edinburgh take on Jarrow in Rd 10 of NERL KO 15:15pm Dalkeith RFC after the U16s International 

Edited by 2blackrooks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 02/08/2022 at 19:51, 2blackrooks said:

(‘Thanks for the info mate. Do you know if Scotland under 16s are generally Scottish based or are they English with Scottish anscestory? ‘)

As far as I’m aware all Scottish born and bred or with Scottish nationality, a lot of clubs (laughable I know we only have a handful) have been doing a lot of work with juniors 

Also as part of a double header Edinburgh take on Jarrow in Rd 10 of NERL KO 15:15pm Dalkeith RFC after the U16s International 

That's good to hear. It would be completely pointless stacking an u16s team full of heritage players and achieves nothing.

Scotland u16 20 - 28 England u16

massive effort from the lads coming from 24 - 10 down 10 mins into the 2nd considering there’s little or no u16 league games in Scotland this is an encouraging performance, brilliant effort to all involved in the development teams. Players coaches n volunteers 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

Scotland u16 20 - 28 England u16

massive effort from the lads coming from 24 - 10 down 10 mins into the 2nd considering there’s little or no u16 league games in Scotland this is an encouraging performance, brilliant effort to all involved in the development teams. Players coaches n volunteers 

Yes. I was wondering about this. Is it a bunch of rugby union kids?

• Like 2

I would expect the lads have a background in RU purely down to the fact RL is as rare as hens teeth but with internationals etc it’s hoped they will continue to progress with RL

Most clubs up here rely on RU players, as the season is so short it’s usually over before the RU season/training starts 

Talking to a good few RU players they do like playing RL the fact is we don’t have the clubs to offer them a regular season but we live in hope 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2blackrooks said: 

Talking to a good few RU players they do like playing RL the fact is we don’t have the clubs to offer them a regular season but we live in hope 

It’s the same everywhere outside the heartlands, union players love it when they try league, but there’s no infrastructure or decent competition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s the same everywhere outside the heartlands, union players love it when they try league, but there’s no infrastructure or decent competition. 

Eddie this lament is so common, and comes up every year.

When we started in the early 80's I wrote to BARLA, to ask them to organise their amateur leagues into odd numbers of teams. Then each week, one team would have a week off. They could choose to rest the players, or better still, organise a game with a club outside their area (local league).

This would enliven and energise the entire amateur game. They would need to plan for it of course and it would mean a bit of extra travel (perhaps to Wales or Scotland) but it could, in time, become the highlight of the season for died in the wool amateur league clubs.

A weekend away, touring another part of the world is something our lads loved and we would start a savings club during the previous season, to ensure the maximum turnout.

I (know) am convinced that the lack of a league structure, and the necessity of ''fixture secretaries'' in RaRa made a huge contribution to the growth of their game.

My advice to the Scottish amateur clubs is to get a BARLA handbook and write to all their clubs and invite them to travel North of the Border to play in friendly fixtures with the Scottish teams.

We did it in our first few years and had loads of clubs come to South Wales to play us.

My point is, we don't need organised leagues, to grow this game, just the willingness of the rest of the game to take part, in the growth of the development areas by just accepting invitations to play them.

We can't wait for RFL, (or BARLA) to do this for us, we've got to seize the initiative and make it work. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 5

Edinburgh hit form today beating Cramlington Rockets 38-24 in the NERL semi final play off round

Meanwhile Scotland withdraw from the up and coming u19 champs in Italy 3/9/22

Scotland Rugby League cited changes in their coaching staff and a lack of player availability at that age group as the reasons behind their decision not to travel.’

• Like 1

Not surprised this is happening. 

Anyone whose sole approach to "development" is to leech off union when their players have a day off is destined for failure. This U19 withdrawal is not a one-off and will happen over and over again. Of course, I am not just talking about Scotland, bit several nations are doing it. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, City RL said:

When I went back to Ireland to work in 2006 and got involved with Tallaght and later Ballyfermot (1st team to have an RL dedicated pitch courtesy of Dublin City Council) , I was shocked that the 'domestic' game was basically RU Summer Rugby, so that Ireland could meet the International criteria set out by the European RL federation. At that time there were a lot of people in Ireland with RL experience who would not get involved in the game due to the way it was set up.

Fast forward to setting up Liverpool City RL circa 2012  'New Team' insurance ran out after three years (club wound up), after making good off field progress. It takes decades to develop a new sport in a new area especially with no money or a Development department within the governing body. 

RL too often cuckoos other sports either for players or facilities instead of looking to itself to develop both.   

What’s new team insurance? Agreed though, the RFL should do more (ie something) to help new clubs, I know they have a huge lack of money but imho it should be a priority. 

This weekend see’s the NERL final to be held in Newcastle Kingston Park Edinburgh take on Jarrow KO 2pm Saturday 

Jarrow are keen favourites winning both league games but hopefully as in the semi final can pull it off

Theres a great pod cast on ‘13 Pro Am community RL show’ 17 Aug show

which speaks to both coaches (starts about 30mins in) and gives an insight into how Edinburgh is fairing with players etc 

The match will be streamed live on ‘Our league app’

• 2 months later...

1 hour ago, 2blackrooks said:

Scotland RL organising Try Rugby league days, first one coming up 20/11/22 10am to 3pm Peffermill Edinburgh u16/u18 + students

Say loads of kids love it - Who would they play for?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas