Scotland RL

I do see the madness in the method of holding trials in Bradford, in the 90’s loads of Scots families moved south especially into Yorkshire for the mines, I’m sure (hopefully) SRL have done there homework to see if the interest is here, having a group of Yorkshire/Lancashire heritage lads playing regular RL down south bringing them through the ranks is a good thing, we just don’t have the numbers yet up here. We’re virtually starting from scratch again and got to start from somewhere, it’s a gamble down in Bradford but worth a shot asking as it’s supplemented by and action plan up here to bring in local lads. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2blackrooks said:

I do see the madness in the method of holding trials in Bradford, in the 90’s loads of Scots families moved south especially into Yorkshire for the mines, I’m sure (hopefully) SRL have done there homework to see if the interest is here, having a group of Yorkshire/Lancashire heritage lads playing regular RL down south bringing them through the ranks is a good thing, we just don’t have the numbers yet up here. We’re virtually starting from scratch again and got to start from somewhere, it’s a gamble down in Bradford but worth a shot asking as it’s supplemented by and action plan up here to bring in local lads. 

I'm sure there will be interest and players attending but that really isn't the point. Relying on English lads playing RL in the heartlands does zero to grow Scottish RL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm sure there will be interest and players attending but that really isn't the point. Relying on English lads playing RL in the heartlands does zero to grow Scottish RL.

I bet you can't even get Scottish youth playing Rugby Union these days.

5 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

in the 90’s loads of Scots families moved south especially into Yorkshire for the mines, 

Did they?? The vast majority of mines in Yorkshire were on their way out, or had closed by the late 1990s. By 2000 there were only half a dozen or so left 😄

15 hours ago, Madrileño said:

It is a ridiculous option. 

Because of? Gretna got decent crowds when they were on a good run. (Totally unsustainable but proved a crowd can be drawn) the ground is only about 900 so a good stating place for a team only issue is the artificial pitch might not suit.

Edited by Midlands hobo

1 hour ago, Midlands hobo said:

Because of? Gretna got decent crowds when they were on a good run. 

The total population of Gretna is about 3000 people. The area has zero history of ANY interest in League. Out of these 3000 people, how many do you think are keen to start playing League?

I have no idea what you mean by "Gretna got decent crowds" they have never even had a team to my knowledge! Are you talking about a local football club or something? Or a rugby union team?

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

The total population of Gretna is about 3000 people. The area has zero history of ANY interest in League. Out of these 3000 people, how many do you think are keen to start playing League?

I have no idea what you mean by "Gretna got decent crowds" they have never even had a team to my knowledge! Are you talking about a local football club or something? Or a rugby union team?

Football club. Zero history of any interest sort of exactly makes it an expansion area. Annan has a population of about 9k plus surrounding villages gives a viable base to start a small team and test it out.

• Haha 1

What makes a country unattractive for Rugby League expansion.

1. small country (unfair, but true)
  2. soccer dominates
  3. Rugby union already has a significant share of public attention 

So why invest in Scotland? Becaus Cumbria is close

Wales, Serbia, Italy and Greece only fail two questions...Spain only one...

6 hours ago, Madrileño said:

They were a soccer team.They reached the Scottish cup final in 2006 and also the Premier league. However they couldn't sustain it due to the ill health of their backer. 

8 hours ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

2. soccer dominates

Union is growing quickly in Spain. They would have qualified for the last 2 Union World Cups but they were disqualified each time for fielding ineligible players.

• Like 2

Think this is a bit of a sidebar discussion tbh.

If England picks the best U16 from the Heartlands, no one says "well they're not growing the game in London/Midlands" etc. Your U16 team is to identify and develop your future talent. Scotland is not going to have a pro league any time soon, so the best thing they can do is cast their net wide to find players. Where are they going to end up playing if they're any good? Super League/Champ/League 1.

Yes, there's a responsibility on Scotland RL to grow the game but things like this talent dev day have to happen AS WELL AS growing the game in Scotland. Additionally, it's probably a couple of volunteers or per-session coaches who are running it rather than being some big investment. If it identifies Scottish Qualified players who are already playing RL that's only going to help their performance.

14 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Did they?? The vast majority of mines in Yorkshire were on their way out, or had closed by the late 1990s. By 2000 there were only half a dozen or so left 😄

Don’t know if 2blackrooks hit the wrong number button but many families from Scotland and the North East descended on Castleford in the 70’s and early 80’s because of employment in the local collieries.  We had two ‘Geordie’ lads in our class and when they spoke to each other it was like listening to the old Smash potato ads on TV.

In Knottingley - or Knottla to the locals - just outside Cas there was a working mens club called the SYD club.  It stood for Scottish, Yorkshire and Durham miners.  It had a reputation as a tough pub.  Only went in there once.  Halfway through the night someone lobbed a beer glass towards the dance floor.  The glass hit the floor and smashed into pieces.  All those dancing just ignored what had happened.  Good job I wore my shin pads that night!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

2. soccer dominates

Good point and I agree, though I’d argue against 3, hardly anyone in Scotland is interested in Union. 

9 hours ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

2. soccer dominates

Apart from soccer you described NZ

7 hours ago, Niels said:

They were a soccer team.They reached the Scottish cup final in 2006 and also the Premier league. However they couldn't sustain it due to the ill health of their backer. 

They didn't play in Gretna for most of that time.

They are 'back' as a phoenix club now playing the Lowland League.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

Thank you

I am always wondering about ireland...soccer is small in comparison to many countries, but does Gaelic Sport takes too much place?

Ireland is surely already saturated with three big codes of football and hurling also. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They didn't play in Gretna for most of that time.

They are 'back' as a phoenix club now playing the Lowland League.

I think they played at Fir Park, Motherwell, season 2007/8 as Raydale Park didn't meet requirements. 

The other seasons they played in Gretna though.

20 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think they played at Fir Park, Motherwell, season 2007/8 as Raydale Park didn't meet requirements. 

Yes. The only season they had in a full time professional league was the one where their ground was unsuitable so they played 76 miles away.

Leeds to St Helens is 64 miles.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

41 minutes ago, Niels said:

Crowds at Fir Park were down to double figures and the club was in administration by the end of the season, prior to going bankrupt.

They were basically a fictional club completely funded by a benefactor in Brooks Mileson.  As soon as he became unwell and his family got cheesed off at their inheritance being squandered the club went bankrupt with almost immediate effect.

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2023 at 10:13, 2blackrooks said:

The 1890s?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. The only season they had in a full time professional league was the one where their ground was unsuitable so they played 76 miles away.

Leeds to St Helens is 64 miles.

You’re making a weak case for Gretna not being an ideal site for expansion. 

• Haha 1