Agree, Aberdeen has been used successfully with RU so no reason why RL could give it ago, the central belt could do with a team (Hamilton) Borders and Ayrshire, but as always Scotland RL get no money from the Scottish Government (I don't think so)so it's always difficult. But I'm really hoping the world cup will spark interest (pending a decent performance from Scotland)

A tie up with Newcastle RL could be useful or the Cumbrian clubs for future development purposes

20 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

Agree, Aberdeen has been used successfully with RU so no reason why RL could give it ago, the central belt could do with a team (Hamilton) Borders and Ayrshire, but as always Scotland RL get no money from the Scottish Government (I don't think so)so it's always difficult. But I'm really hoping the world cup will spark interest (pending a decent performance from Scotland)

A tie up with Newcastle RL could be useful or the Cumbrian clubs for future development purposes

They do get money from Scottish government but it’s peanuts really. They’re working closely with Newcastle Thunder foundation, who provide some support and avenues for clubs to play against.

Issue with Aberdeen has always been the travel. There were 2 clubs up there at one time but unfortunately that was when the central belt was at its weakest so they ended up with next to no opposition unless they played English clubs. 

It’s a 2.5 hour journey from Aberdeen to Edinburgh so it even makes it difficult for Aberdeen clubs to play in a regular central belt comp. 

Saw the announcement about Forth Valley but the article was lacking in detail!

Archived