Regular 9s Events

46 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

For community clubs...

I can only think of the London 9s and Rotterdam 9s that happen with any regularity.

Have i missed any?

Plenty in the Southern Hemisphere. Overwhelmingly as off-season summer festivals.

Problem in the UK is that we have to either hold them during our regular season or in the middle of winter.

3 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Plenty in the Southern Hemisphere. Overwhelmingly as off-season summer festivals.

Problem in the UK is that we have to either hold them during our regular season or in the middle of winter.

Always said the only place for a 9s is northern Spain in late January as a pre season with French teams 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know 9s has plenty of fans and I respect that, but personally I have no interest in it, would much rather watch proper RL (i.e. 13 a side). 

Me too , unless I was in Lloret de Mar with a beer in my hands end of January 

The main problem with 9s is unless it's a separate circuit like the 7s in Union its going to be challenging. You firstly need an organiser, as a club we could easily organise it. However the teams involved are another problem as if they are 13s are they going to risk 1st players potentially getting injured or could it be that you have a separate 9s side that were your Reserves team that take part in 4/5 tournaments across the year but those players could play in the first team too for 13s. So rather than having a Super League reserves you have Super League 9s therefore cutting down on the numbers of players needed to 15 extra rather than 17-20?

23 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

The main problem with 9s is unless it's a separate circuit like the 7s in Union its going to be challenging. You firstly need an organiser, as a club we could easily organise it. However the teams involved are another problem as if they are 13s are they going to risk 1st players potentially getting injured or could it be that you have a separate 9s side that were your Reserves team that take part in 4/5 tournaments across the year but those players could play in the first team too for 13s. So rather than having a Super League reserves you have Super League 9s therefore cutting down on the numbers of players needed to 15 extra rather than 17-20?

I wouldn’t replace reserves with a 9s comp in toto but there is definitely scope for an annual Super League 9s comp that largely features Academy/up-and-coming young fringe players. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I wouldn’t replace reserves with a 9s comp in toto but there is definitely scope for an annual Super League 9s comp that largely features Academy/up-and-coming young fringe players. 

That nobody would watch 

40 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There are regular 9’s tournaments in Thailand I believe.
Like 7’s in Union 9’s is easy to pick up for beginners and a good way to introduce new players to the sport.

Go and play there 

Please 😁

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Hold it a week before the SL season at somewhere like the HJ and it would get a respectable crowd. 

I went to a group stage of a virtually unadvertised tournament in 2012 at Headingley with Leeds, Fev, and 2 other teams who's names escape me on a pouring down Wednesday night and there were a fair few hundred.

I think as a tool like that it could definitely be used. In fact I think its probably better (and more sustainable) than full blown reserves.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Barely twelve hours into the new year and we have the first “we need a 9s tournament” shout. Start the new year as you mean to go on Rugby League fans. 

I was more asking what our options were as a community club to participate in some 9s tournaments.

But yes... start as we mean to go on.

Archived