Celebrity you have met

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked at the BBC and the Performing Right Society in the 70s/80s so many in the music business back then.  Nicest I think Stuart Goddard (Adam Ant). Always had time to stay and chat to anyone from Chairman to cleaners.  Often popped in just because he was passing. 

Spent a great evening drinking in a West End pub local to work with friends and David Jason. 

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

One of my close friends (we used to live 5 mins from each other in North Vancouver), is Peter Howitt (he played Joey Boswell in Bread for those old enough to remember that comedy, plus he won numerous awards for directing the movie Sliding Doors, with Gwynneth Paltrow and John Hanna). A really down to earth guy and naturally funny, in fact he earns most of his pay these days script writing for Rowan Atkinson. 

A slightly less good experience happened to me a few years ago in Downtown Vancouver, I was walking past the entrance of one of the city’s more famous steakhouses when I was manhandled to the kerbside by 2 enormous security guys, turns out I was blocking former President Clinton’s path to the restaurant door, let’s just say there was no courtesy shown!

Cardinal Basil Hume. Various classical composers. My dad's met Maria Callas and Bing Crosby, so he trumps me.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I shared a lift with Zeinab Badawi at Broadcasting House and with George Alagiah at the 2012 Olympic news studio

At my wife's workplace I shared a lift with her and Rupert Murdoch.

At a private house party 1 chatted 1 on 1 with Kerry Packer and Ted Heath.

At a venue in Sydney I stood next to and had a chat with Warren Mitchell in a toilet cubicle at a venue where he was performing.

Opened the door for Tony Wilson at a Elvis Costello gig, at the Royal Court, Liverpool.

Let Tim Healy pay for his fuel before me, at petrol station in Wilmslow.

Justin Moorhouse made me a cuppa while I looked at his drains. 

Nicky Butts missus made me a drink as well.

A surprising number by virtue of working for charities in London. Heather Mills was by far the worst human being I've ever met whereas Ferne McCann was one of the nicest. One of the mums at Tiny Ginger's school is properly "wow, blinkin' 'eck" famous but I've literally just nodded to her (she is apparently lovely) - whereas the one who was longterm Observer columnist who then moved to set up a Guest House and now writes for the Telegraph (whilst maintaining a decent chattering class media career) is nearer the Mills end.

The one I'm happiest about is that I set up a radio appeal and was able to negotiate who would present it (they do it for free and don't always get expenses on this one) - and thus not only did I meet Dr Phil Hammond, work with him for the afternoon, but also wrote the script he used.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I shared a table with Chris Akabusi at a Buckingham Palace garden party. He never stopped laughing the whole afternoon.

I have met the Duke of Edinburgh 2 or 3 times.

I was in a cafe in Brussels in 1967and John Cleese came and set next to me. My companions didn't know him, I recognised him from the Frost Report " I look up at him" sketch. He had also just been in the "At last the 1948" show. He said he was waiting for a couple of mates. When they turned up it turned out to be David Frost and Marty Feldman. They apologised to him for being late but they had  been delayed as they had been in a car crash!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Interviewed and videoed Sir Charles Benedict Ainslie, KB CBE (Americas Cup), ditto  Christian Edward Johnston Horner OBE, Red Bull Racing Team Principle, Sat next but one to Eric Cantona on a flight to Paris, Tony Warren lived next door but one to me when I was a yoof, nearly bumped into Jonathan Davies at Old Trafford one day as he was rushing downstairs and I was labouring up the same flight, ditto Anneke Rice but at a hotel in Cambridge, " Eric Pollard" at a birthday party, possibly at Hemwsorth Miners Welfare (?), met and spoke to " Phyllis Pearce"-Jill Summers- in the Midland Hotel, had a evening drink with Michael Jayston at the same hotel (Peter Guillam in Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy), stood behind Albert Tatlock at check in at the Strand Palace ( or possible Regents Palace) around 1969......

Archived