Rugby league players don’t receive knighthoods - do we care?

28 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Rupert the award system which is essentailly favour and patronage from times past dressed up with tradition. It's all we have because people's awards carry little or no weight.

And if we looked for fewer awards we'd have none at all.

Other countries of course have awards.  Too be honest I am not sure how all wide ranging they are compared to ours.

We should separate out political honours.  Political patronage is in the end how honours began.   After that we should have due reward for mere mortals who have done some good.  I don't see why rich people should just get an award for being rich or even just giving money away.  Fair doos I they do, and they should, but virtue should be it's own reward.  

But we dole out too many Sirs and peerages and CBEs. I do not see why an actor should get a knighthood just because he lived to 60. But if that's the criteria then Sean O'Loughlin should get an MBE.   The argument being put forward I suppose is that he should get a CBE.

But our RL lives in a small pond, we get overlooked.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Commonwealth Citizens are allowed to British titles, I wonder if any Aussie RL players have been knighted?  Don Bradman was certainly knighted.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

11 hours ago, Trojan said:

As Commonwealth Citizens are allowed to British titles, I wonder if any Aussie RL players have been knighted?  Don Bradman was certainly knighted.

Have any AFL players been knighted?  Any RU players?

The point is Bradman was a genius, so its no surprise he got it.  But im not sure too many sporting knights deserve it.

Rugby League receives the odd crumb of positivity from the establishment, usually when a media story makes it unavoidable. Take the Burrow/Sinfield coverage for instance. It never gets near to dishing out a worthy award though.

This is especially unfair when showboat sporting circuses like the Olympics come around. Somebody you've never ever heard of in a sport that's completely off the radar gets a knighthood for coming third. Both the recipient and the sport are never heard of again.

Bizarre and utterly unjust when Rugby League has been beamed into the media machine since goodness when, with a plethora of famous clubs, players and milestones in abundance.

Let's face it if Rob and Kevin didn't get one what the hell does this sport need to achieve to qualify?

Ridiculously unfair. 😠

10 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Rugby League receives the odd crumb of positivity from the establishment, usually when a media story makes it unavoidable. Take the Burrow/Sinfield coverage for instance. It never gets near to dishing out a worthy award though.

This is especially unfair when showboat sporting circuses like the Olympics come around. Somebody you've never ever heard of in a sport that's completely off the radar gets a knighthood for coming third. Both the recipient and the sport are never heard of again.

Bizarre and utterly unjust when Rugby League has been beamed into the media machine since goodness when, with an abundance of famous clubs, players and milestones in abundance.

Let's face it if Rob and Kevin didn't get one what the hell does this sport need to achieve to qualify?

Ridiculously unfair. 😠

Its just NOT FAIR (stampy emoji) And people say RL does not have a chip on its shoulder! 

So who is this you are referring to?

Somebody you've never ever heard of in a sport that's completely off the radar gets a knighthood for coming third. Both the recipient and the sport are never heard of again.

#RLgetswhatitdeserves!

#we'reeversograteful!

#wecan'texpectanymore

The sad small mentality of acceptance of the judgement of others is the root of lack of progress and decline.😪

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Bizarre and utterly unjust when Rugby League has been beamed into the media machine since goodness when, with an abundance of famous clubs, players and milestones in abundance.

Ridiculously unfair. 😠

If just being good at your job til your mid 30s and/or doing charitable work for 12 months qualifies for an award from the NYHL, then I know sh it loads that would qualify.

I know loads in industry, public service etc that have devoted their lives to the cause.

My old tutor Jill.  A lifetime in nursing. At the end of the Nicolae Ceaușescu regime she went over to Romania, helped set up care, education and basic human rights for children who suffered terribly under that regime.  She continued to work tirelessly for the vulnerable whilst working in nurse ed. She was worthy of national recognition.

Deborah Bone.... (disco 2000 deborah) .... she was awarded an mbe  .... read her back story. A lifetime of public service way beyond the normal.

Whilst I'm happy for sports and entertainment luvvies to get awards....for heavens sake.... just make it more than just being good at their jobs in their early adulthood

59 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Whilst I'm happy for sports and entertainment luvvies to get awards....for heavens sake.... just make it more than just being good at their jobs in their early adulthood

For the very top awards such as Knghthoods for Sportsmen and Women it almost always is that.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

And the mere suggestion that Eddie should receive any kind of award would be met with derision in some quarters.

She is at least equally as deserving as Sinny..... 

She ? 🙁

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

She ? 🙁

Yes. Eddie wishes to be identified as female. Im happy enough to address anyone by however they wish to be addressed.

I have worked with transgendered colleagues. Again, no big deal to me to address them however they wish to be addressed Steve.

Let's leave this here Steve. Its a massive derailment of the thread....

16 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

For the very top awards such as Knghthoods for Sportsmen and Women it almost always is that.

And usually international success too. We're somewhat lacking in that department. Hell, we're somewhat lacking in international games, never mind success...

Archived