Imagining Your Values Are There to be Shared

From the Mail Online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9105595/Nearly-half-Britons-think-BBC-fails-represent-values.html

The headline was

"Nearly half of Britons think the BBC fails to represent their values including a majority in the North of England"

First of all is it likely we as a nation would share values?

If we do, are they largely illusiory in nature?

Do we think we share a value but really share a sentence we all interpret differently?

In't age of T'interweb do we share much at all?

Or is this just defund the Beeb's latest attack?

Best to avoid Brexit or anything political here of course. So what do we share?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, voteronniegibbs said:

There were two tins of quality street in the factory office, we've been sharing them. 

Well the the answer there then is "do you all like the same one and agrue over ownership or do you all have different taste in chocolates.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

From the Mail Online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9105595/Nearly-half-Britons-think-BBC-fails-represent-values.html

The headline was

"Nearly half of Britons think the BBC fails to represent their values including a majority in the North of England"

First of all is it likely we as a nation would share values?

If we do, are they largely illusiory in nature?

Do we think we share a value but really share a sentence we all interpret differently?

In't age of T'interweb do we share much at all?

Or is this just defund the Beeb's latest attack?

Best to avoid Brexit or anything political here of course. So what do we share?

These days the BBC talks to itself and thinks it's far cleverer than what it is.

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

These days the BBC talks to itself and thinks it's far cleverer than what it is.

It must talk to someone because a small percentage in the survey found Aunty had come more to represent them.

Even the idea that a media outlet should represent us a bit of lunacy.

The general feeling of alienation may have more to do with this than anything the Beeb does or doesn't do or say.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

As long as those on the left and right are both critical of BBC news output then it is clearly doing a good job in maintaining editorial balance.

I think that's a bit of a fallacy based on the assumption that both sides criticisms are equally well founded. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The requirement for Impartiality and balance does not operate in content rated as entertainment, as I have been told by the beeb when I've e provided feedback to programme editors. (HIGNFY) For example. 

HIGNFY will always have more jokes at the expense of the party in power, as will any topical entertainment show.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, indeed. No problem. The issue ( political of course) is that the chairmen and vast majority of panel guests are of the leftish persuasion no matter what persuasion the government.

Feeble reasoning: We struggle to find right-wing comics, says Have I Got News For You boss Richard Wilson | News | The Times

As I say, that is a political issue so expect the topic to be moved to the political sub forum.

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes, indeed. No problem. The issue ( political of course) is that the chairmen and vast majority of panel guests are of the leftish persuasion no matter what persuasion the government.

Feeble reasoning: We struggle to find right-wing comics, says Have I Got News For You boss Richard Wilson | News | The Times

As I say, that is a political issue so expect the topic to be moved to the political sub forum.

They have had plenty of Conservative and other Right-leaning guests who aren't comedians. I guess it is an attempt to level things out a bit. Of course, some of them don't really "get" the show and either try to be comedians (which can go badly wrong - see Edwina Currie) or hardly say anything unless asked directly.

While I disagree with Julia Hartley-Brewer's worldview in almost every aspect, she is one who "got" the show and always held her own.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Jim Davidson on HIGNFY would be ..........

interesting

Archived