Amnesia in the Sunday Times

I remember a year ago when RL was more in the mainstream media in the UK than it had been for a couple of decades due to Toronto entering SL. Sadly it somehow seems an age  now as we struggle more than ever for relevance in the media, let's be honest 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Pie tries said:

I agree - however have you written to the ST to complain?

We ALL need to this this. I’ve written numerous letter over the years complaining about the Luddite idiot Stephen Jones - with a couple of apologies along the way.

If we don’t complain we won’t get anywhere. Everyone who reads this thread must do so. It takes seconds to dig out the email address

sportletter@sunday-times.co.uk

Yes  - I have - to both David Walsh and ST , both via Twitter. Guess what....no reply. However thanks for the e mail address and complaint number 3 will be soon on its way.

You have nailed my basic point - its no use us whining and wailing about being overlooked , lets all get out there and call them out!

14 hours ago, Hello said:

I remember a year ago when RL was more in the mainstream media in the UK than it had been for a couple of decades due to Toronto entering SL. Sadly it somehow seems an age  now as we struggle more than ever for relevance in the media, let's be honest 

Sadly kicking out a overseas team and replace them from a team in a Wigan suburb tells you all you need to know about BRL and it's ambitions or lack of them

Perhaps the sport needs a patron who actually lives in the country...I like Harry and admire his service to the country but cannot see him doing much to promote RL from LA..

29 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yes it will be a great day when newspapers disappear because we can then rely on things like Twitter or Facebook for trustworthy news. Nothing is ever made up on those sort of platforms. 

You're too late Johnoco people already do that & the legacy media has one legacy it's not trustworthy and hasn't been so for an age or more. This claim that freedom of the press is a democratic protection and holds those in power to account to the public is the funniest joke of them all. But this thread is not about that and it's a bit naughty of you to engage me on this. You know full well that RL is ignored so what should be done about it?

And just to make it clear

image.png.5e51911ddfb65a9b242a743f06252f56.png It's like that film Jules et Jim  ..... "  but it was not allowed."

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Wirral Warrior said:

Yes  - I have - to both David Walsh and ST , both via Twitter. Guess what....no reply. However thanks for the e mail address and complaint number 3 will be soon on its way.

You have nailed my basic point - its no use us whining and wailing about being overlooked , lets all get out there and call them out!

Thank you !

thanks to your post I have too

We have to defend our sport

4 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Sadly kicking out a overseas team and replace them from a team in a Wigan suburb tells you all you need to know about BRL and it's ambitions or lack of them

But that wasn't really what happened , and you know it 

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Is it part of a wider plot against RL? No

Of course it's not a plot, but it doesn't have to be a conspiracy to be a concious decision based on bias.

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Yes it will be a great day when newspapers disappear because we can then rely on things like Twitter or Facebook for trustworthy news. Nothing is ever made up on those sort of platforms. 

The newspapers opened up the niche in the market by becoming overtly, hectoringly and clumsily partisan. They did this instead of continuing to hire people literate enough to make their viewpoints look like grown-up objective journalism and/or persuasive opinion pieces. Then it turned out that a bunch of people (a toxic cocktail of genuine nutjobs and paid fraudsters) on the internet were far better at spreading the new reality of "alternative facts combined with total certainty" than the established press.

Now the print media are looking at the stable door, wondering where they left the keys to that suddenly useful-looking padlock.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

That’s probably an argument for the politics page. 

It isn't just political journalism, though. Witch-hunts against celebs who the papers have decided are ripe for a fall, campaigns against sportspeople who have "got uppity" and started suggesting it might be a good idea for humans to be nice to each other, bogus "nutritionists" pushing actively dangerous exclusion diets, paparazzi leering over fuzzy long-range shots of famous nipples, or just the print equivalent of shock jocks on every subject (great for those all-important clicks).

Plus horoscopes, which can go to hell too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/01/2021 at 00:45, Wirral Warrior said:

Eventhough I am not totally suprised, but I was disappointed not read any mention of the 2021 Rugby Leage World Cup in their preview of the '2021 Sporting Bonanza' either in the article or the accompanying chronological table of 2021 events.

The article was actually penned by David Walsh who has a good reputation for investigative sports journalism. In my opinion his lofty reputation took a dent yesterday with this omission.

There will be a pent up demand to view regular events such as Wimbledon, but to omit the RL World Cup to be played on home soil, is lazy jounalism at best.

This is a global tournament that will draw upto 3/4m spectators and will be covered on terrestrial television

Some initial Twitter reaction suggested that 'its the sports fault' for not pusuing a more aggressive PR campaign so Walsh et al could not ignore the sport.

This is probably true, but my view is that it is incumbent on everyone involved in the spot ( fans, administartors, journalists etc) to publically and consistently call out such poor quality media reporting

I am sure when we had Maurice Lindsey and Richard Lewis in Charge of the RFL it would have been in

As someone outside the inner circle of Rugby League I've seen zero promotion of the 2021 RLWC outside of this forum and draw day, which indicates that while the 2021 campaign may be engaging pre-existing supporters well, it's sorely lacking otherwise?

3 hours ago, frank said:

Explain.

The 2 events aren't connected , it wasn't a conversation " let's dump Toronto and bring Leigh in " 

Toronto's owner couldn't carry on , nobody was willing to provide enough evidence they could finance them 

Once that happened then and only then did they decide they needed a 12th team , then they had to look who could provide them with the most competitive team likely to be able to complete a season , that being ' a ' season as whoever it was is massive favourite to be relegated , this isn't a licence or franchise long term 

So Lucky 7 assertions that it is a declaration of future ambition is nonsense , as us any insinuation as this is the reason a newspaper haven't included the RL WC in its ' year of Sport ' 

It's just moaning for moanings sake 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

The 2 events aren't connected , it wasn't a conversation " let's dump Toronto and bring Leigh in " 

Toronto's owner couldn't carry on , nobody was willing to provide enough evidence they could finance them 

Once that happened then and only then did they decide they needed a 12th team , then they had to look who could provide them with the most competitive team likely to be able to complete a season , that being ' a ' season as whoever it was is massive favourite to be relegated , this isn't a licence or franchise long term 

So Lucky 7 assertions that it is a declaration of future ambition is nonsense , as us any insinuation as this is the reason a newspaper haven't included the RL WC in its ' year of Sport ' 

It's just moaning for moanings sake 

The reason Toronto dropped out was because SL deprived them of their share of Sky money and for  no other reason.

Leigh will add no interest what so ever to SL ,even they are not getting there  full  share of the money so only one ending there.

Lucky 7 is bang on  in regard to ambition ,if it wasn't for introducing second rate Aussies and those over the hill the game would be in a worse state than it is now.

I did receive a response to my email:

you are right to highlight the omission of the RL World Cup from the 2021 sporting highlights. It was a glaring oversight, as you say, for which I can only apologise.

Nick Greenslade
Deputy editor, Sunday Times Sport

7 hours ago, frank said:

The reason Toronto dropped out was because SL deprived them of their share of Sky money and for  no other reason.

Leigh will add no interest what so ever to SL ,even they are not getting there  full  share of the money so only one ending there.

Lucky 7 is bang on  in regard to ambition ,if it wasn't for introducing second rate Aussies and those over the hill the game would be in a worse state than it is now.

I won't disagree that it was wrong for Toronto not to receive their fair share of the central funding , I stated as much on here at the time , BUT , that was the deal put to them , by the SL clubs , of which Leigh were not one , so I don't understand how anybody can criticise a club that didn't make any decisions on Toronto's inclusion and subsequent refusal of readmittance 

All Leigh have done is offer to fill in for the coming season with as you say less money than the other 11 ( personally I think all the Championship clubs should have told them to shove it ) , now you are in NZ , and believe me the world is very different for you right now compared to us in the NH , the bottom line is ( and don't take this the wrong way , I've lived in Aotearoa ) NZ is at the ###### end of the world out of the way which has allowed your PM and govt to deal with the pandemic much better than us 

So I truly believe if the pandemic had been in recession the SL clubs would have picked Toulouse , but quite simply having another intercountry fixture right now given the choice isn't sensible , do they've gone with the sensible choice , as strong a squad as was available , local matches to reduce potential travel issues , and an owner committed to investing to possibly make it interesting 

But don't blame Leigh for being ambitious , tell me , what do you think Leigh should have done when SL decided the ' Wolf grooming man ' didn't provide the necessary guarantees ? 

Oh and yes Leigh being in SL will provide interest , mine , and indeed my brother's , so even in NZ somebody will be interested in Leigh being in SL 

20 hours ago, Johnoco said:

People, whether they are newspaper editors or just the average person in the street aren’t obliged to like RL. They don’t owe it anything. Not liking it or not even being aware of it is not a crime. Most people are pretty much unaware of RL, it impacts very little on their lives so don’t assume they attach as much importance or reverence as you do.

I expect if *you* were a newspaper editor, you would be unlikely to give rugby union much coverage or respect, so it obviously works both ways. 

Okay, I am not asking them to like RL I'm demanding they do their job which is to report sport on the sport pages and other things on the other pages. I expect freedom of the press to be reporting without bias and a fundamental basis of this is not to just report what they prefer. If I were an editor I would reluctantly cover sports and stories I wouldn't agree with written by people whose views I can't stand.

Exhibit A in evidence for this case is on the forum, where I even read your posts!😉

14 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Some papers do cover RL but generally it's never been that great anyway.

IMO the ST should have mentioned the RLWC but it's not a requirement for anyone and not some fundamental right. 

I suppose if you accept it the next thing is coverage will be a bit less next year diminishing finally to nothing because papers don't do their job properly and the world thinks that's acceptable. No wonder they get away with far worse things then they've been practising on RL. It's never been about fundamental right but the basic purpose of a newspaper to cover events sporting and otherwise. And the numbers through the turnstiles marginally smaller than cricket should be enough to guarantee reasonable roughly "cricket size" coverage if they just pick and choose with sport because it's not popular on Canary Wharf then they're not a national newspaper. And they have no right to expect any kind of help, privileges or support on their way to the eternal dustbin of history.

8 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I suppose if you accept it the next thing is coverage will be a bit less next year diminishing finally to nothing because papers don't do their job properly and the world thinks that's acceptable. No wonder they get away with far worse things then they've been practising on RL. It's never been about fundamental right but the basic purpose of a newspaper to cover events sporting and otherwise. And the numbers through the turnstiles marginally smaller than cricket should be enough to guarantee reasonable roughly "cricket size" coverage if they just pick and choose with sport because it's not popular on Canary Wharf then they're not a national newspaper. And they have no right to expect any kind of help, privileges or support on their way to the eternal dustbin of history.

Exactly the correct response , as you rightly say , ' National Newspaper ' 

The Times has done slightly better today in that it has listed about eleven major sporting events or cluster of events scheduled for 2021 under the headline "Can year's highlights survive virus?"  Our world cup is one of them.  For each of them the same three questions are asked, namely "What is current thinking?", "Are organisers prepared to hold the event without fans, or with restrictions on international travel?" and "Most likely scenario?"

For the RLWC, the replies given are that current thinking is that the RLWC could be the first major, international event staged in England with full attendances after the pandemic; to the middle question, yes; and that there is real hope that full stadiums look the most likely scenario.

If there is one slightly odd thing about this, it is that the person expressing these views is the RFL chairman, Simon Johnson.  It doesn't look as though he is on the board overseeing the event, unless the RLWC website is out of date in that respect.

Archived