Amnesia in the Sunday Times

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Exactly the correct response , as you rightly say , ' National Newspaper ' 

Not

Your original outrage was that they deserved saving in the face of the alternatives but their lack & treatment of RL shows they are one of the alternatives.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Us older ones remember when there were Northern editions of all the national newspapers (Manchester) and there was some great full time RL journalists John Huxley/John Robinson etc those days have now gone and everything is London centric.

If RL really wants to be taken seriously in London media wise it needs without doubt

* SL team in London

* 1 international played in the capital every year

* Full time press officer in London

Since the BBC moved breakfast to Manchester it has become very localised they struggle to get famous people on (Unless local) and the audience figures for London and the South are awful (Most people I know including myself watch SKY for news) 

31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

does RL genuinely deserve national coverage?

Yes it does.

32 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I never hear about curling in English papers for example

If you think RL is as small as curling in England the I can see why you think it should be invisible.

34 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Why should a newspaper bend over backwards to cover a game that restricts itself to such a small area?

A small area from London to Newcastle?

And papers bending over backwards is an odd phrase to excuse them from doing their job properly.

37 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

But this is in danger of missing the point, they still should have covered the upcoming 2021 RLWC

Well no they shouldn't cover it if it's as small as curling and has a minor footprint and negligible national level of interest. The World Cup of frog hopping no less.

Response to my email - small steps:

Thanks for your email re the omission of the RL World Cup from the 2021 sporting highlights. It was a glaring oversight, as you say, for which I can only apologise.

Nick Greenslade
Deputy editor, Sunday Times Sport

How about a change of tactics?

Why has the Sunday Times been banned from covering the Rugby League World Cup in 2021? 😡🤬

I've noted how well conspiracy theories have spread across the public consciousness in recent years.

Start an online campaign of outrage at how/why the RFL have banned the Sunday Times from covering RL.

I'm sure we can think of spurious reasons why the RFL would do such a thing and then we can spew bile all over twitter about freedom of the press and citizens' rights of access to information. 

Prizes for the best suggested reasons for the Sunday Times ban.

Sow the seeds on 'celebrities' with large followings who are particularly prone to outrage.

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I used to say exactly the same things as you but the reality is that RL is not national, nor shows any sign of wanting to be. Newcastle has a RL team but that hardly makes it an RL region. London has AFL teams and Wigan and Cas have RU teams....doesn’t mean that much.

You clearly have a problem with people don’t like, or are as fanatical about RL as you, often calling them ignorant and misinformed, so I don’t see the point in reasonable debate with such a fundamentalist. 

I was about to say it's been a good debate ....

12 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Us older ones remember when there were Northern editions of all the national newspapers (Manchester) and there was some great full time RL journalists John Huxley/John Robinson etc those days have now gone and everything is London centric.

If RL really wants to be taken seriously in London media wise it needs without doubt

* SL team in London

* 1 international played in the capital every year

* Full time press officer in London

Since the BBC moved breakfast to Manchester it has become very localised they struggle to get famous people on (Unless local) and the audience figures for London and the South are awful (Most people I know including myself watch SKY for news) 

On the whole the shift is is not a natural one and I'm not sure the changes you suggest would be enough any more. They wouldn't hurt though.

6 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

How about a change of tactics?

Why has the Sunday Times been banned from covering the Rugby League World Cup in 2021? 😡🤬

I've noted how well conspiracy theories have spread across the public consciousness in recent years.

Start an online campaign of outrage at how/why the RFL have banned the Sunday Times from covering RL.

I'm sure we can think of spurious reasons why the RFL would do such a thing and then we can spew bile all over twitter about freedom of the press and citizens' rights of access to information. 

Prizes for the best suggested reasons for the Sunday Times ban.

Sow the seeds on 'celebrities' with large followings who are particularly prone to outrage.

Pure bigotry pretty much cuts it. 

4 hours ago, Lyvet domicile said:

And if they're that bigoted about something like a sport how can you trust them with the really important stuff>

19 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I got a reply saying apologies for the over site

Fair enough

At least it would be if they changed their behaviour afterwards, an apology is just words if you carry on as before when people stop looking.

And they will.

On 04/01/2021 at 13:48, Damien said:

Unfortunately this is often the way and not even just the Times, even those organisations that hold RL rights often ignore RL in lists like this.

Yep, I suspect the BBC will only advertise that they will be showing the RLWC the night before the opening game.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Yep, I suspect the BBC will only advertise that they will be showing the RLWC the night before the opening game.

If we're lucky, have you seen the latest recruits to the being in charge department at Aunty?

I doubt we'll be hearing much from the Beeb's a bunch of lefties group for a while.

In fact we might even be saying goodbye to the SL show or if not it'll be on at two in the morning on the red button.

23 hours ago, Oxford said:

Exhibit A in evidence for this case is on the forum, where I even read your posts!

Exhibit A has unfortunately moved over to the prosecution evidence file.

The fact is that The Times is only one paper and by their own admission got it wrong over the RLWC but the truth is also that they downgrade RL consistently both in things they allow in print and the visibility of our sport.

You can agree with them or not, that's part of the story too.

19 hours ago, Pie tries said:

Response to my email - small steps:

Thanks for your email re the omission of the RL World Cup from the 2021 sporting highlights. It was a glaring oversight, as you say, for which I can only apologise.

Nick Greenslade
Deputy editor, Sunday Times Sport

Thanks to your provision of the e mail , I also got a prompt reply.

"Apologies for the oversight which you rightly say should not have happened. Hope it didn't detract too much from your enjoyment of the paper.

Regards,

Nick Greenslade,

deputy editor, Sunday Times Sport"

Proves it is always worth all of us highlighting poor media coverage as requested on the original post

1 hour ago, Wirral Warrior said:

Thanks to your provision of the e mail , I also got a prompt reply.

"Apologies for the oversight which you rightly say should not have happened. Hope it didn't detract too much from your enjoyment of the paper.

Regards,

Nick Greenslade,

deputy editor, Sunday Times Sport"

Proves it is always worth all of us highlighting poor media coverage as requested on the original post

It certainly does, be interesting to see if coverage improves because a few people moaned at their poor performance.

Every newspaper makes editorial and content decisions on what their readership will be most interested in.  These are essentially commercial decisions as their commercial success is based on circulation (print), readership (online) and the advertising revenue that they can attract based on these two metrics and the assumed demographic of the audience.

The Sunday Times would never miss out a big event in cricket and RU from their sports coverage and year preview as these are essential to the readership they are catering to.  This is their decision and they will succeed or fail based on it. 

They may have expressed regret that they missed the RLWC but don't expect it to change in the future as I am 100% sure that they won't see this event of being of interest to their target readership - any email reply to complaint etc. is standard placation tactics.

In 2021, Rugby League has many more ways of reaching its audience with messages about our World Cup and these are the things we should be concentrating on. 

The only thing I don't understand about all of this is why people are surprised and think it may change.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 posts deleted. If you're a new member, try not to jump in with both feet making both accusations. Not a great start to forum membership.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

22 hours ago, Lyvet domicile said:

That may be true for a small informed minority, but from my experience for the vast majority of England, let alone the UK, "rugby" is red roses, six nations and Swing Low. People are genuinely shocked in my experience to find out there is a different version played primarily in Yorkshire and Lancashire. 

I don't think you can excuse willful ignorance, but the sport has given no reason for most people to be anything but that either. Its annoying from both angles.

Just now, Lyvet domicile said:

A minority of supposed sports experts? 

Who I'm 100% sure grew up outside of an RL hotbed and for the reasons stated above will generally think Rugby is covered by the lot that play at Twickenham to an even greater extent than they consider football to be the Premier League and nothing much more in these Isles. 

Yes they could be better, there's no real demand for them to be so though.

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Exactly right. There's a tendency when you are immersed in something to think that most people feel similar.... reality is often that they don't. 

I'm of the opinion that many more people would actually quite like RL if they were exposed to it. Not become rabid fans and drop all other interests but like it all the same. Keeping the game where it is ensures that this will never happen though. 

Covid aside, if you were to drive to practically anywhere in the UK at this time of year and go in a pub and ask 'is the rugby on'? People would think you were talking about the 6 Nations. This used to be a source of annoyance to me but it's actually a logical thing. And until RL wants to break out of its ghetto, this won't change.

Absolutely mate I'm of the same opinion given my experience. 

Its actually even more perverse in some ways, as say from my uni experience in Leeds, I'd argue a reasonably high percentage would know the Rhinos were Leeds' rugby team on how it is hard to ignore in that part of the city if nothing else, but only the minority of those that are "rugby fans" would know the rugby they played wasn't the same as the Six Nations. Is that then a win for Leeds Rhinos but a loss for Rugby League?

I think this discussion shows that FTA coverage of Super League, even just 1 game a week, is essential to trying to regain or reaffirm our place in the national consciousness. The cost of being exclusively behind Sky's paywall is beginning to bite and the odd weekends of the challenge cup or rare England games just aren't enough.

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its actually even more perverse in some ways, as say from my uni experience in Leeds, I'd argue a reasonably high percentage would know the Rhinos were Leeds' rugby team on how it is hard to ignore in that part of the city if nothing else, but only the minority of those that are "rugby fans" would know the rugby they played wasn't the same as the Six Nations. Is that then a win for Leeds Rhinos but a loss for Rugby League?

Don`t take this personally. I`m well aware it`s an instance of a general tendency.

If I were an uninitiated objective reader of the above paragraph, I would either find it incomprehensible or draw the conclusion that there was a game called "Rugby".

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Don`t take this personally. I`m well aware it`s an instance of a general tendency.

If I were an uninitiated objective reader of the above paragraph, I would either find it incomprehensible or draw the conclusion that there was a game called "Rugby".

Which is exactly the point I was making, for the vast majority of the population, there is just a game called "rugby".

That does actually work both ways, but for RL to be the "rugby" referred to on far less occasions.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Which is exactly the point I was making, for the vast majority of the population, there is just a game called "rugby".

That does actually work both ways, but for RL to be the "rugby" referred to on far less occasions.

So you were not saying "the Rhinos were Leeds` rugby team", or "the rugby they played". The offending phrases weren`t originally within quotation marks.

If that`s the case, you may consider yourself officially exonerated.

4 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

So you were not saying "the Rhinos were Leeds` rugby team", or "the rugby they played". The offending phrases weren`t originally within quotation marks.

If that`s the case, you may consider yourself officially exonerated.

I am struggling to see the point you are making on this one.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived