Lockdown

If Scotland lockdown is anything to go by then this time around training and playing rugby and football will continue when the inevitable restrictions are announced.

If so this will be a relief as our preseason is about to start.  I think the restrictions on training may be more strict than when we last played. 

We have had a lull.  In the meantime Cricket, Football and Union have been getting getting caught up with various cancellations and silly antics from some players. It shows how difficult it is to keep things going.

Fingers crossed we can start on time and all clubs can weather the storm to be ready for the season.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Fingers crossed we can start on time and all clubs can weather the storm to be ready for the season.

I imagine the first half of next season will be a similar story to the second half of the last one. Hopefully by summer we'll have all of the vulnerable and the over-50s vaccinated. Hopefully. It would be great if fans could get some live action by mid-summer.

13 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I imagine the first half of next season will be a similar story to the second half of the last one. Hopefully by summer we'll have all of the vulnerable and the over-50s vaccinated. Hopefully. It would be great if fans could get some live action by mid-summer.

Well according to some on here if the over 50s get vaccinated first then all RL fans will be good to go next season.

Onwards and upwards.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well according to some on here if the over 50s get vaccinated first then all RL fans will be good to go next season.

Onwards and upwards.

Well my wife tells me that based on the calender proposed, we ought to get ours at the end of March !!  I'll have to get my best flat cap sent to the dry cleaners (If they are open).

Tonight's news of no end date being placed on lockdown measures does impact us significantly. We may be tempted to delay the season further to maximise the prospects of fans in stadiums / clubs being able to make money. Even if that means delaying RLWC until 2022.

These are incredibly tough times for rugby league clubs. Let's hope we can get through.

47 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Semblance of a coherent strategy. Vaccinate oldies then lift restrictions. Question is when. Surely by Easter fans will be back in some capacity?

Due to the highly transmissible nature of the varient, I think the poster who suggested June for fans to return is probably more accurate. 

The aim should be for Superleague to start on time, and go without fans as they did last year, hopefully with more games on TV. 

Given that the furlough scheme currently runs until end-April at the earliest, I don't see the Championship restarting until May/June. 

1 minute ago, Chris22 said:

Tonight's news of no end date being placed on lockdown measures does impact us significantly. We may be tempted to delay the season further to maximise the prospects of fans in stadiums / clubs being able to make money. Even if that means delaying RLWC until 2022.

These are incredibly tough times for rugby league clubs. Let's hope we can get through.

Superleague can and should start on time, as will the NRL, so cancelling the World Cup should be avoidable as long as the vaccine rollout goes to plan. 

Moderating note

if you want to discuss the impact of lockdown on Rugby League, you can do so here. 

If you want to discuss the merits or otherwise of the lockdown itself, or the vaccination policy, or your own personal choices with regard to vaccinations, do it in the existing coronavirus thread in the political sub forum.

if you do the latter in here, your posts will be removed. 

Thank you for your co-operation. 

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Moderating note

if you want to discuss the impact of lockdown on Rugby League, you can do so here. 

If you want to discuss the merits or otherwise of the lockdown itself, or the vaccination policy, or your own personal choices with regard to vaccinations, do it in the existing coronavirus thread in the political sub forum.

if you do the latter in here, your posts will be removed. 

Thank you for your co-operation. 

Some of us can ? 🙁

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Semblance of a coherent strategy. Vaccinate oldies then lift restrictions. Question is when. Surely by Easter fans will be back in some capacity?

After Johnsons latest tv appearance id be amazed if any fans see live action before may/June time at best

I think we will be very lucky to see any live rugby league in the Championship/Championship 1.

I don’t think fans will be allowed back in until June at the very earliest(if we are lucky)and it is going to be the same problem as last year will clubs in these divisions be able to afford to play?Will employers allow their full time employees to play part time rugby league?

Or will they allow Championship and Championship 1 clubs to stream their matches on a Pay Per View basis at say for argument £10-£15 per game?If they do then that I think will be a game changer in one way. And I would pay my club £10-£15 willingly to watch on my iPad or iPhone-and you get quite a good picture.

And for reasons that the moderator probably will not let me say I don’t think I will ever attend another game(Just heard most of you cheer🤣🤣)so if the Championship and Championship 1 clubs do stream their matches on their own channel then count me in.

56 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Superleague can and should start on time, as will the NRL, so cancelling the World Cup should be avoidable as long as the vaccine rollout goes to plan. 

Can Super League afford to start without fans or the prospect of fans? I'm not being obtuse mate I'm just very doubtful of that.

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It all boils down to the vaccine 

It does but id say this even if the vaccine is rolled out in good time say by march (which is where the news was saying the lockdown would last to)things won't go back to normal quick smarted assume it'll be back to the tier system first and see from there, ok live sport can have a couple of thousand in but thats about it.

Id be more wary and say June at best before we can even think about crowds being let in even with the vaccine.

Its a nightmare whatever the outcome.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Can Super League afford to start without fans or the prospect of fans? I'm not being obtuse mate I'm just very doubtful of that.

Sure, it's a fair question, but I assume the answer is the same as last year - if they don't play the TV income is forfeited and the situation gets even worse. The players are contracted and if the clubs don't pay them they'll void the contracts. They can shed as many players as they can legally and will have to borrow money from the govt to bridge any remaining gap. Most haven't tapped the bailout loan as far as I'm aware. 

3 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

For the majority of professional rugby league clubs in England there wasn't a second half of last season.

I dont mind the wait until its safe for everyone to get out to games, but if all the over 50s are vaccinated wont it be very unsafe for those fans/players /staff under 50 to be anywere near us all,or have i got it wrong.?

8 minutes ago, Eddie Waring's Dog said:

For the majority of professional rugby league clubs in England there wasn't a second half of last season.

Yeah, I know, It’s really bad. I hope they get through this. The key will be when the effects of the vaccine are reflected in the hospitalisation rates. Anyway, it’s happening, so we have to find a way to deal with it in RL.

56 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It all boils down to the vaccine 

But most people under the age of 50 are unlikely to be vaccinated this year. How do we open up gatherings and the community game again until most of the population is jabbed. I really feel this summer's championship and below, all levels, may not happen. 

1 minute ago, thebrewxi said:

But most people under the age of 50 are unlikely to be vaccinated this year. How do we open up gatherings and the community game again until most of the population is jabbed. I really feel this summer's championship and below, all levels, may not happen. 

1 minute ago, thebrewxi said:

Considering they're hoping ( yes I know ) to push out 14 million have by mid February , then 3 months later the vast majority of the adult population should ( yes I know ) have had one dose of it 

2 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Well, the theory is that 95% of under 50s (without underlying health condition) don't get COVID badly even if they catch it, and there will be capacity to treat the small minority that do.

Whether people want to take that risk to watch a rugby match we'll have to wait and see. Clearly some will, whether it will be enough to make Championship viable I just don't know. 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Considering they're hoping ( yes I know ) to push out 14 million have by mid February , then 3 months later the vast majority of the adult population should ( yes I know ) have had one dose of it 

I hope you are right. But there are already quite a few calculators on the internet based on current estimates, all seeming to say they don't start phase 2, I.e. under 50s, until the back end of this year. The Guardians also stating they need to do 2M every week from  this week to keep up with the aspirations. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and Boris and you are right. 

Archived