Lockdown

1 minute ago, thebrewxi said:

I hope you are right. But there are already quite a few calculators on the internet based on current estimates, all seeming to say they don't start phase 2, I.e. under 50s, until the back end of this year. The Guardians also stating they need to do 2M every week from  this week to keep up with the aspirations. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and Boris and you are right. 

Yes mid Feb is 6/7 weeks , times 2 million is 14 , which is all above 70 and all at risk and risk jobs 

X fingers 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The furlough period currently runs to the end of March, the Championship shouldn’t resume until either the furlough scheme has ended or fans are allowed back in stadiums. A 13 game regular season with teams playing each other once is realistic for the Championship.
The Challenges Cup can be a Super League only competition with 4 clubs given byes in the first round. Super League should start as planned, hopefully it won’t be behind closed doors for too long.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The furlough period currently runs to the end of March, the Championship shouldn’t resume until either the furlough scheme has ended or fans are allowed back in stadiums. A 13 game regular season with teams playing each other once is realistic for the Championship.
The Challenges Cup can be a Super League only competition with 4 clubs given byes in the first round. Super League should start as planned, hopefully it won’t be behind closed doors for too long.

Are you saying the likes of Toulouse and London, and possibly Bradford, Featherstone and York, who are ready to go come the end of February shouldn't be allowed in the C/Cup or commence their Championship campaigns ? The Championship should run as scheduled and the opponent of any club not able to fulfil fixtures should be given the win. As per SL, table based on percentage. 

3 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Are you saying the likes of Toulouse and London, and possibly Bradford, Featherstone and York, who are ready to go come the end of February shouldn't be allowed in the C/Cup or commence their Championship campaigns ? The Championship should run as scheduled and the opponent of any club not able to fulfil fixtures should be given the win. As per SL, table based on percentage. 

Genuine question: have the clubs you mention taken their players off furlough and begun preseason training yet? 

If the public, players and clubs properly followed risk related lockdown rules we could see live Rugby League during the proposed coming season.

In all probability we'll get as far as a fragmented fixture calendar for televised Super League without crowds.

Competitions such as the Championship and League 1 would find it financially crippling to play in empty stadiums.

I can also see foreign governments denying overseas World Cup squads travelling to the UK.

The primary reasons for such pessimism are the plain facts that our Government won't strictly enforce the lockdown rules nor prosecute the non-compliers.

We've all witnessed the stupidity and selfish conduct of those around us who can't be bothered making an effort to beat the virus, this even extends to playboy sports people who simply can't resist a party. 

Until the ignorant Covid Deniers are brought into line the chances of bums on seats watching Rugby League is pie in the sky fantasy island.

Strict enforcement is our only chance, otherwise we'll be be in the same position this time next year.

And good luck with the vaccine roll out logistics, hands up who thinks we'll get that right first time? 🤪📈

13 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Congratulations on surviving* in Super League in 2021, Leigh Centurions. 

* By default of no lower league rugby in 2021. 

I was wondering something along similar to last season, if a full fixture list is superceded by a fragmented season will relegation again be postponed?

Can you imagine the outcry of 'unfair' under the percentage ruling if say any team has more wins than another but amassed a lesser percentage return and is relegated than another who has played fewer games?

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was wondering something along similar to last season, if a full fixture list is superceded by a fragmented season will relegation again be postponed?

Can you imagine the outcry of 'unfair' under the percentage ruling if say any team has more wins than another but amassed a lesser percentage return and is relegated than another who has played fewer games?

Points per game has been used elsewhere.

I think we're all agreed that it's a nonsense season if you don't have the thrills and drama of relegation.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Genuine question: have the clubs you mention taken their players off furlough and begun preseason training yet? 

Fev resumed training in December. I can't comment on any others. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

38 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Points per game has been used elsewhere.

I think we're all agreed that it's a nonsense season if you don't have the thrills and drama of relegation.

Off course I do, but that has to come on the back of a regular fixture list, most people agreed that last season relegation should be scrapped which was fair comment.

I stopped short of stoking the boiler for the Anti-Leigh brigade on these pages by saying that if Leigh was the club who benefitted from the 'percentage' ruling by having played less matches, won less games, avoided the most difficult fixtures against the 'top' clubs and missed relegation because of it, that I doubt it would have gone unnoticed and be void of comment on these pages.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Off course I do, but that has to come on the back of a regular fixture list, most people agreed that last season relegation should be scrapped which was fair comment.

I stopped short of stoking the boiler for the Anti-Leigh brigade on these pages by saying that if Leigh was the club who benefitted from the 'percentage' ruling by having played less matches, won less games, avoided the most difficult fixtures against the 'top' clubs and missed relegation because of it, that I doubt it would have gone unnoticed and be void of comment on these pages.

Points per game is a simple concept. If we have a season (if) with relegation agreed at the start (another if) then it's a fair way of deciding the finishing places.

Personally, I'd not have relegation next season but would make that clear before the season kicks off. I don't think it's realistic to expect a trouble free year. But Super League did say there would be relegation so I'm just saying what I think is the fairest way of doing that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A key factor will be infections within playing groups and forced isolation that could result from this. Whilst not wishing to bring other sports into the discussion the outcomes from changes in testing protocols in the EFL will be illuminating. To date non-PL players have only been tested when exhibiting symptoms but now they are to embark upon a full screening programme of all players. this is likely to throw up a host of asymptomatic carriers with consequent fixture cancellations and disruption.

RL will be able to learn from the outcomes from this programme and make decisions appropriately, I hope.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On the pro sports testing and playing.

Do we know of any players across sports who have tested positive and subsequently not been able to resume playing because of the seriousness of their condition or long term effects?  And if so, how many.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

57 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Points per game is a simple concept. If we have a season (if) with relegation agreed at the start (another if) then it's a fair way of deciding the finishing places.

Personally, I'd not have relegation next season but would make that clear before the season kicks off. I don't think it's realistic to expect a trouble free year. But Super League did say there would be relegation so I'm just saying what I think is the fairest way of doing that.

Fully understand that Ginger, but SL has a bit of previous in respect of sidestepping intentions should the goalposts be moved, as you state there are a lot of 'if's' that may have to be taken into consideration as the season progresses, IF infact it does start at all on time.

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

My understanding of the rules would be that training is ok to do while on furlough because you are not adding to the company's profit/sales etc You can be on furlough at work but still do training courses etc but you cannot do anything that adds to the commerciality of the business.. therefore training would be ok but the minute they play a game and get some money for doing so (either gate receipts, sky money, rfl money etc) then you must come off furlough.. 

If the champ cannot get people through the gates then i cannot see them starting while furlough is around.. there is not enough money to gain

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah we're about due for that discussion after such a lengthy absence and scarcity on threads.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

39 minutes ago, RP London said:

My understanding of the rules would be that training is ok to do while on furlough because you are not adding to the company's profit/sales etc You can be on furlough at work but still do training courses etc but you cannot do anything that adds to the commerciality of the business.. therefore training would be ok but the minute they play a game and get some money for doing so (either gate receipts, sky money, rfl money etc) then you must come off furlough.. 

If the champ cannot get people through the gates then i cannot see them starting while furlough is around.. there is not enough money to gain

That's interesting. It would imply that clubs could get their players right through what would be an extended preseason (given the build up needed after such a long layoff) with the govt picking up most of the tab. 

But as you say, without fans very few championship clubs could afford to play games, a minority at best. Which is basically the same situation that put an end to the championship last year. 

Championship/L1 clubs are going to have to sit tight until around Easter, and only if there is a path to fans returning at that point should they set a schedule. 

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

That's interesting. It would imply that clubs could get their players right through what would be an extended preseason (given the build up needed after such a long layoff) with the govt picking up most of the tab. 

But as you say, without fans very few championship clubs could afford to play games, a minority at best. Which is basically the same situation that put an end to the championship last year. 

Championship/L1 clubs are going to have to sit tight until around Easter, and only if there is a path to fans returning at that point should they set a schedule. 

thats how i would interpret the rules that are in place for work being translated to sport anyway.. i may be wrong but it would make sense.. Although there is the added issue that elite sport can carry on but can sport underneath? the level of RU club i coach the juniors at is League 2 north and they have been locked down again by the RFU which includes no training for the senior teams.. not sure how that then translates to Champ level RL and what the rules will be there.

1 hour ago, RP London said:

thats how i would interpret the rules that are in place for work being translated to sport anyway.. i may be wrong but it would make sense.. Although there is the added issue that elite sport can carry on but can sport underneath? the level of RU club i coach the juniors at is League 2 north and they have been locked down again by the RFU which includes no training for the senior teams.. not sure how that then translates to Champ level RL and what the rules will be there.

All professional rugby league was allocated to elite last year so they’re the rules all three divisions should follow.

15 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Sure, it's a fair question, but I assume the answer is the same as last year - if they don't play the TV income is forfeited and the situation gets even worse. The players are contracted and if the clubs don't pay them they'll void the contracts. They can shed as many players as they can legally and will have to borrow money from the govt to bridge any remaining gap. Most haven't tapped the bailout loan as far as I'm aware. 

Yeah I think a further loan will be necessary, especially with no return to full crowds before the summer at least.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fully understand that Ginger, but SL has a bit of previous in respect of sidestepping intentions should the goalposts be moved, as you state there are a lot of 'if's' that may have to be taken into consideration as the season progresses, IF infact it does start at all on time.

I agree I think Toronto's demise saved Super League a real quandary over relegation last season. RU were in a similar de facto scenario with a guaranteed relegated side.

On the other hand, Football at the levels that have continued has maintained P/R regardless of crowds - though probably this season with the expectation of them.

I still think we'll have P/R come September though.

Have all the overseas players returned now for training?

If the borders close we’ll be stuffed. I can also envisage a few players delaying arrival or reneging on contracts. What to do. Squads can (generally) cope as we saw last season.

As a Warrington fan, I’m sort of expecting Inglis to fall through, at least until later in the season. Apparently Widdop actually has returned though, which surprised me as his family are understandably staying put down under.

Archived