TRL helpdesk: Switching from pay monthly to pay as you go

Hello all, I've just rung up ee and got my sim-only contract changed to a pay as you go one. They've told me i will keep the same number and it will take about a month to process. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and what happens next. 

Will I get a letter through the post confirming this? The woman on the phone wasn't clear about this. She did say that I could ring them again in 30 days and just ask for the changes to be confirmed so I might do this if I'm not clear on it by then. 

How will I know when the change has taken effect? I read online I will get a text when this has taken effect, can anyone confirm what happens? 

How will I top up my phone for the first time seen as I won't have any credit? I asked how to top up my phone and whether I get a card through the post. Apparently I won't get a card through the post like I had with my last PAYG about 10 years ago but I can top up online, by calling or by buying a voucher. The first option would of course be free but the myee website is rubbish so don't know if I'll do it that way. The last two options would cost wouldn't they? Making a call or sending a text and I won't have credit to do that. I know you can top up a phone from a different phone so might have to do that the first time round if it doesn't work any other way. 

Can anyone just let me know what happens next now I've changed from contract to PAYG and kept the same number? 

Thanks! 

I know this is slightly different, but when I moved out of our house, because of difficulties inside, I moved to PAYG keyed electric, and have found it much more manageable. If I find a new place, I hope it is also PAYG, as there is less reasons for credit companies to be involved.

Archived