Bronco's best chance.

36 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If a ground is in Tottenham, it can only be in Tottenham and can’t be deemed West London when one team play there and then East London when another team plays there. 

Grimsby don't play in Grimsby.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

The premise is a decent one - and perhaps in the past it might have been an option, but the ship has sailed.

Looking at National League clubs based in London, Barnet is basically a sports/leisure business with a football team attached, Orient's ground is still owned by the Hearns not the club, and Daggenham is way too far out east. Sutton United might have some potential - holds 5,000 and has space for expansion - but would need a complete rebuild and, frankly, is in the a**e end of nowhere. Finally, Wealdstone who were stitched up by a previous owner and then by Barnet council and Barnet FC many years ago. Grosvenor Vale does have the benefit of being on the Central, Piccadilly and Metropolitan lines but it's 4,000 capacity is essentially a handful of small terraces and scattered seating - it would need an entire re-build and the leases only runs for a couple more years.

Below that, in NL South, you've got Dulwich Hamlet who are building a new stadium, but that would mean schlepping right across London to a 4,000 capacity ground (with no space for expansion) which would be too small for a sustainable Broncos.  Otherwise it's Hampton & Richmond which is tiny, hemmed in and a nightmare to get to.

Southern League, you've got Harrow Borough, and Hayes & Yeading. Based on nothing but geography and necessity, I could see Wealdstone moving in with the Boro, who have space to expand to 4,000 (at a pinch). Hayes is an interesting one - a brand new 1,800 seat stand and space on 3 sides for further development - and they're always looking for revenue. The big issue there is it's a 30 minute walk to Southall station (Crossrail if it ever opens, plus other trains) although the massive residential development next door is supposed to include a bridge over the Grand Union Canal which would reduce that to 15 minutes.

Finally, you've got Carshalton (lots of space to expand but, like Sutton, a terrible location) and Tooting & Mitcham (like Barnet is now basically a leisure facility with a semi=pro team attached, plus is another awful location).

All up - there's no chance of it happening. Almost all of the clubs above have sold off land, had it nicked by unscrupulous owners/developers, or changed to the point of being leisure businesses with a small team attached. Only one (Hayes) has the pace needed to get up to 6,000 capacity, and the two biggest (Barnet & Orient) wouldn't be interested in the Broncos moving in. And there are numerous other non-league clubs who have suffered even worse fates. It could have been a viable option, once, but not anymore. The Broncos are in a really difficult position - but I'll say it again, the bigger problem is the club itself not the place they play. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Grimsby don't play in Grimsby.

and St George play in 2 different cities.... all I'm suggesting is that  London Bronco/Skolars needs something permanent so they they can grow the game... people like Hela Wigmen are happy to comment but lack any ideas.

4 hours ago, nadera78 said:

The premise is a decent one - and perhaps in the past it might have been an option, but the ship has sailed.

Looking at National League clubs based in London, Barnet is basically a sports/leisure business with a football team attached, Orient's ground is still owned by the Hearns not the club, and Daggenham is way too far out east. Sutton United might have some potential - holds 5,000 and has space for expansion - but would need a complete rebuild and, frankly, is in the a**e end of nowhere. Finally, Wealdstone who were stitched up by a previous owner and then by Barnet council and Barnet FC many years ago. Grosvenor Vale does have the benefit of being on the Central, Piccadilly and Metropolitan lines but it's 4,000 capacity is essentially a handful of small terraces and scattered seating - it would need an entire re-build and the leases only runs for a couple more years.

Below that, in NL South, you've got Dulwich Hamlet who are building a new stadium, but that would mean schlepping right across London to a 4,000 capacity ground (with no space for expansion) which would be too small for a sustainable Broncos.  Otherwise it's Hampton & Richmond which is tiny, hemmed in and a nightmare to get to.

Southern League, you've got Harrow Borough, and Hayes & Yeading. Based on nothing but geography and necessity, I could see Wealdstone moving in with the Boro, who have space to expand to 4,000 (at a pinch). Hayes is an interesting one - a brand new 1,800 seat stand and space on 3 sides for further development - and they're always looking for revenue. The big issue there is it's a 30 minute walk to Southall station (Crossrail if it ever opens, plus other trains) although the massive residential development next door is supposed to include a bridge over the Grand Union Canal which would reduce that to 15 minutes.

Finally, you've got Carshalton (lots of space to expand but, like Sutton, a terrible location) and Tooting & Mitcham (like Barnet is now basically a leisure facility with a semi=pro team attached, plus is another awful location).

All up - there's no chance of it happening. Almost all of the clubs above have sold off land, had it nicked by unscrupulous owners/developers, or changed to the point of being leisure businesses with a small team attached. Only one (Hayes) has the pace needed to get up to 6,000 capacity, and the two biggest (Barnet & Orient) wouldn't be interested in the Broncos moving in. And there are numerous other non-league clubs who have suffered even worse fates. It could have been a viable option, once, but not anymore. The Broncos are in a really difficult position - but I'll say it again, the bigger problem is the club itself not the place they play. 

A good overview. There are a few more in the outer reaches - like Bromley, Beckenham etc - but there's not going to be any new observations. I'd add that Sutton already have tenants in the form of Sutton Common Rovers. Going on how non league works these days, especially in cities, I'd imagine more than a few of the others do too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

and St George play in 2 different cities.... all I'm suggesting is that  London Bronco/Skolars needs something permanent so they they can grow the game... people like Hela Wigmen are happy to comment but lack any ideas.

My idea is that London Broncos and London Skolars don’t play out of North London and claim that they’re from West London and East London, respectively. 

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

Is rushman and diamonds ground still uninhabited?

That was a total scandal from top to bottom. 

Max Griggs built that stadium and club up from nothing for the people and once he'd released control charlatan after charlatan ran them down. 

The ultimate insult being George Rolls moving their arch rivals Kettering Town in there.

It would have been a brilliant facility for rugby league and only a few minutes drive from Northampton and then Peterborough. 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

4 hours ago, guess who said:

What a great idea. Spend 2 years building a fan base.

Then move to a new venue. Then expect those to travel to a new venue. Maybe a long and difficult trip on a Fri night.

Thats one way of losing fans. What a stupid idea.

This is one of the things Broncos are really good at.

13 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Good post and informative.

Thank You

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 07/01/2021 at 17:14, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not sure why buying out a football club would help London Broncos in any way at all or why any non-league club would be enthused by Broncos buying their club. 

Having been to a few of the London based lower league/non-league grounds, the two better ones are Orient and Barnet, two venues Broncos have played at before. Beyond that Dagenham is not great at all for stadium reasons, location and travel reasons. Beneath the National League, places like Dulwich Hamlet and Hampton & Richmond (I’ve not been to these, admittedly) do not look up to Super League standard and beneath that, I’d be shocked if any London based teams in the Ryman Premier would be anything better than Ealing, going on comparisons to the Northern Premier League. 

Yeah, few people speculated Orient's ground. It's not great though... Also, the food and ale is by some distance the worst I have ever had at any sporting event

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yeah, few people speculated Orient's ground. It's not great though... Also, the food and ale is by some distance the worst I have ever had at any sporting event

Their Supporters Club is very good if you’re an ale drinker. I can’t say I ate or drank (alcohol wasn’t available, as they put us in what is their Family Stand) in the ground when I went. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Their Supporters Club is very good if you’re an ale drinker. I can’t say I ate or drank (alcohol wasn’t available, as they put us in what is their Family Stand) in the ground when I went. 

4 of us got food poisoning from thier burgers... We shouldnt have eaten them as we knew it tasted rank. The lager was warm and tasted of detergent - we still drank loads of it as we were desperate....freezing cold and the stand arrangement offered zero protection.... And its in Leytonstone which is a dump even for East London.... The 'Mighty Os' also lost the soccer game.... Was not a great day H 😁

Archived