Ben Barba

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes this is no different to any other season what a Championship clubs suffers when they get promoted, they only find out the last game of the season that their campaign has been successful, by then most player's are contracted to other clubs.

Will this year prove to be different though? and not wanting to seem like the vulture circling high above the carrion, but if for reasons beyond anyone's control the Championship does not play because of Covid restrictions there will be some very good player's doing nothing - SL doesn't have 100% of them all - any SL club with recruitment or injury problems will most likely take advantage of the situation, BUT I do hope it does not come to that, the vaccine's work and we can all get back to some normality.

Didn't happen to Hull KR, one of only 3 clubs to have come up since P/R was reintroduced. Didn't happen to Leigh the first time either really?

The championship may be a source some clubs can draw on I agree.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m sure I read the other day that the RFL wouldn’t authorise Barba’s player registration. Has that changed?

I’ve seen nothing that says that it has changed & unless it does this story is merely speculation probably started by either the player or their Agent

53 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I’ve seen nothing that says that it has changed & unless it does this story is merely speculation probably started by either the player or their Agent

This was not stated by the RFL but by a reporter or someone who said that they didn't think he would get a visa because he hadn't played NRL in the last 2 years. But yes I think the RFL have to 'sponsor' the visa.

Here we go again .....

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Didn't happen to Hull KR, one of only 3 clubs to have come up since P/R was reintroduced. Didn't happen to Leigh the first time either really?

The championship may be a source some clubs can draw on I agree.

HKR kept the nucleus from SL in the Championship, our mistake in 2018. It certainly was the case in 2005 for us, the transition from PT to FT was huge with a number of players not wanting it eg Larder, and real desperate recruitment eg  McCurrie, Marshall, Fleary and Ferris to name but a few

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Good signing for Leigh if they get him, he clearly has his troubles but they’ve been dealt with by the law and if he can behave himself now then good on him. 

It would mean that Leigh are even more competitive which will be good for SL.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

How did Inglis get one then?.

I can only assume he met the criteria prevailing at the time. Also hasn’t he played more recently than Barba

And Inglis wasn’t banned from the sport

Bottom line is there is nobody for Leigh to sign 

UK players all tied up months earlier 

Best SH players all signed up and as has been mentioned covid rules out the Euro trip incentive 

Even the lesser NRL , better QC/NSWC players won't be travelling north 

So it's down to the ' bad lads ' who aren't playing anywhere , and then perhaps saving a bit to bring in mid/late season from the bottom of the NRL 

Just the way it is 

26 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I can only assume he met the criteria prevailing at the time. Also hasn’t he played more recently than Barba

And Inglis wasn’t banned from the sport

He played 2 games in 2019 season. I’m not disputing what you say jts just I don’t think Inglis qualifies on the list you gave. The RFL have found a way to get by this so it must be possible. 

42 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

He played 2 games in 2019 season. I’m not disputing what you say jts just I don’t think Inglis qualifies on the list you gave. The RFL have found a way to get by this so it must be possible. 

They can support a request outside the stated criteria in exceptional circumstances eg injury or a “star” player. A player banned from the NRL wouldn’t meet these 

27 minutes ago, LeeF said:

They can support a request outside the stated criteria in exceptional circumstances eg injury or a “star” player. A player banned from the NRL wouldn’t meet these 

Basically the bottom line is if the RFL/SL can find a way to allow some players that do not fit all of the permissible criteria to come to these shores to ply their trade, then it would be totally petty to deny a club the services of an available player, a club who in effect are making up the numbers to enable an even fixture list for SL, a club who are already at a financial disadvantage from all their contemporaries in being awarded a less funding level.

OK it is my club, but whoever had been chosen to fill the 12th spot I would be arguing exactly the same if the powers that be denied the signing of a player when others have been allowed 'exceptional circumstances' to influence the decision. 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Bottom line is there is nobody for Leigh to sign 

UK players all tied up months earlier 

Best SH players all signed up and as has been mentioned covid rules out the Euro trip incentive 

Even the lesser NRL , better QC/NSWC players won't be travelling north 

So it's down to the ' bad lads ' who aren't playing anywhere , and then perhaps saving a bit to bring in mid/late season from the bottom of the NRL 

Just the way it is 

Bingo! The only players available are guys with off field baggage, guys with injury history and guys not known for being good team players. With the former at least you offer a chance at redemption and hope they want to redeem themselves as well, with the second group you take a huge risk that you won’t get a season out of them, not ideal if you have a smallish squad and the latter group can destroy your team cohesion if they don’t get their way so need to be avoided at all costs.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Basically the bottom line is if the RFL/SL can find a way to allow some players that do not fit all of the permissible criteria to come to these shores to ply their trade, then it would be totally petty to deny a club the services of an available player, a club who in effect are making up the numbers to enable an even fixture list for SL, a club who are already at a financial disadvantage from all their contemporaries in being awarded a less funding level.

OK it is my club, but whoever had been chosen to fill the 12th spot I would be arguing exactly the same if the powers that be denied the signing of a player when others have been allowed 'exceptional circumstances' to influence the decision. 

Inglis isn’t or ever was banned from the game. Barba is/ was. That to me is a massive difference in this instance. I would be saying the same if my club was the 12th

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Dead right Harry , if the current situation isn't ' exceptional circumstances ' , what is ?

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

Bingo! The only players available are guys with off field baggage, guys with injury history and guys not known for being good team players. With the former at least you offer a chance at redemption and hope they want to redeem themselves as well, with the second group you take a huge risk that you won’t get a season out of them, not ideal if you have a smallish squad and the latter group can destroy your team cohesion if they don’t get their way so need to be avoided at all costs.

It's usually the second group the promoted ( in normal circumstances ) club gets most of , and then crosses it's fingers 

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Inglis isn’t or ever was banned from the game. Barba is/ was. That to me is a massive difference in this instance. I would be saying the same if my club was the 12th

So who do you think Leigh should sign ? 

12 hours ago, Wire quin said:

He's good in a good team, sadly thats not what he's joining.

Leigh could do with a FB that can defend. 

What he brings in the gold dust of his twinkly toes and vision will more than compensate.... Besides don't recall him making many mistakes at the back evrn against the better teams

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What he brings in the gold dust of his twinkly toes and vision will more than compensate.... Besides don't recall him making many mistakes at the back evrn against the better teams

It is the ability to inspire his fellow players , is a Ben Barba going to singlehandedly keep Leigh in SL ? , No , but his rare skill and quality might ( MIGHT ) inspire and give his fellow players the confidence to believe they can finish higher than 12th , and if there is bonus's to be had ( that is what I'd be putting in front all the players , especially Barba ) 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

It is the ability to inspire his fellow players , is a Ben Barba going to singlehandedly keep Leigh in SL ? , No , but his rare skill and quality might ( MIGHT ) inspire and give his fellow players the confidence to believe they can finish higher than 12th , and if there is bonus's to be had ( that is what I'd be putting in front all the players , especially Barba ) 

Correct, having such rare skill and talent often inspires lesser players to overachieve, evidence Jackson Hastings at Salford. If Barba behaves, stays fit and focused, he is a good signing and may be the difference between 10th - 12th.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

He'll sell plenty of shirts and eventually seats too

Have to say I'm looking forward to seeing him again 

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So who do you think Leigh should sign ? 

Without speaking to every agent & player I don’t know who is available so a silly question. I just very strongly believe that if a player is banned in Australia that he shouldn’t be signed over here

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He did go missing a bit when the intensity went up. 

Archived