Inglis arrives. Or does he?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former Australia international Greg Inglis will be motivated by the fear of failure as he prepares to come out of retirement in Super League and warns it will take him "five or six rounds" to get up to speed.

Let's hope we can get five or six rounds in before his contract expires in October then! 🙂

8 hours ago, frank said:

More money down the drain  signing Inglis . Great player  in his day but really. No wonder SL is a second rate competition.

He's not on a marquee salary though, so hopefully the Inglis branded merchandise will cover most of his pay. And I doubt he'll turn out to be a complete flop, since we aren't exactly blessed with world class centres across the competition in this hemisphere. Put it this way - his centre partner is a up and coming international who made last year's dream team... yet that's someone you probably haven't even heard of down under! 

Ergo, Greg Inglis probably isn't a bad addition to this team and this league. 😁

On 14/01/2021 at 12:25, BrisbaneRhino said:

It will be interesting to see how he goes.  He did look shot to bits when he "retired" from the NRL, and there were stories that he couldn't raise one of his arms above his head because his shoulder was gone.  If he gets fit and is motivated he could be awesome, but we'll see.

He's had a good rest from the game, plus what is no doubt the best treatment money can buy.

And if he doesn't reach his former heights, I just hope he can finish his great career at least respectably and on his own terms, not invalided out with a recurrence of an old injury.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

40 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

2021 man of steel- get yer brass on it down at ladbrokes 

I think that Sam Tomkins, Israel Folau, James Maloney, Bevan French, and perhaps even Ben Barba, could all have some say in that outcome. Punters should all hold your wallets for now.

Warrington habitually hang around in the Super League aisle that offer those dodgy sell-by-date yellow label goods.

Sometimes you end up with a bargain, often it's something you don't really need and wish you'd never bought.

Let's hope Mr Inglis doesn't end up in their expanding remnant pile in the non conforming area.

21 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I think that Sam Tomkins, Israel Folau, James Maloney, Bevan French, and perhaps even Ben Barba, could all have some say in that outcome. Punters should all hold your wallets for now.

at 26-1 before the season starts i reckon inglis could be a good punt - like another poster said we are hardly flush with quality centres in sl at the min - even at fb he will attack the outside edges of the opposition 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

at 26-1 before the season starts i reckon inglis could be a good punt - like another poster said we are hardly flush with quality centres in sl at the min - even at fb he will attack the outside edges of the opposition 

Maybe you are right. But  we just don't know how good he will be having been out of thee game for so long. He will probably be a slow starter. But who knows?

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

James Maloney 😂😂😂😂

the only one who really knows is GI himself, am sure he wouldnt have flown to the other side of the world in to snow bound, covid rife northern england if he wasnt confident in his own ability to do himself justice on the field- plus hes hardly on sonny bill money and i bet he makes a bigger return to the game than dollar bill did by a long chalk.

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

the only one who really knows is GI himself, am sure he wouldnt have flown to the other side of the world in to snow bound, covid rife northern england if he wasnt confident in his own ability to do himself justice on the field- plus hes hardly on sonny bill money and i bet he makes a bigger return to the game than dollar bill did by a long chalk.

I agree with that. I would imagine that Greg Inglis will start off underwhelming. But after approximately round 6, assuming that he has no injury, he might start to take off back to his form of the Melbourne Storm and early South Sydney years. At that point,  Inglis will make a strong run to catch up with Sam Tomkins, Israel Folau, Bevan French, and maybe James Maloney and Ben Barba, in the Man of Steel points ladder.  

All of this speculation depends on Inglis's physical and mental health. If he has both, he can do anything, and will definitely score and assist a lot of tries that will win many games for Warrington. As for the mental health aspect, I am sure that he is not used to the lack of sunlight in England, so that will be a bit of a test for him psychologically. However if the Warrington fans treat him like a great celebrity, which he surely deserves to be treated as, then that will probably perk him up a bit.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

I agree with that. I would imagine that Greg Inglis will start off underwhelming. But after approximately round 6, assuming that he has no injury, he might start to take off back to his form of the Melbourne Storm and early South Sydney years. At that point,  Inglis will make a strong run to catch up with Sam Tomkins, Israel Folau, Bevan French, and maybe James Maloney and Ben Barba, in the Man of Steel points ladder.  

All of this speculation depends on Inglis's physical and mental health. If he has both, he can do anything, and will definitely score and assist a lot of tries that will win many games for Warrington. As for the mental health aspect, I am sure that he is not used to the lack of sunlight in England, so that will be a bit of a test for him psychologically. However if the Warrington fans treat him like a great celebrity, which he surely deserves to be treated as, then that will probably perk him up a bit.

A 34 yr old with a dodgy knee & shoulder will get back to his Melbourne & early Souths form,give your head a wobble.

Lets hope for his & Warrington’s sake he is better than Maloney.

20 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Warrington have a history of taking gambles on nrl stars recently retired or in their latter years, some pay off Alfie langer and les boyd were positive examples but im sure people can quote less positive outcomes. Hopefully for the game he lights up the stage. 

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

At that point,  Inglis will make a strong run to catch up with Sam Tomkins, Israel Folau, Bevan French, and maybe James Maloney and Ben Barba, in the Man of Steel points ladder.  

I think you are getting a little confused. Despite playing in the NRL, Tomkins is actually English and so you need to take him out of your Man of Steel contenders list.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

59 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Warrington have a history of taking gambles on nrl stars recently retired or in their latter years, some pay off Alfie langer and les boyd were positive examples but im sure people can quote less positive outcomes. Hopefully for the game he lights up the stage. 

I don't think many of the 'stars' that came with big reputations have flopped at Warrington. I'll give Widdop an easy ride on that one as COVID happened within a couple of games of his debut and his family went home.

There have been plenty of disappointments with 'run of the mill' players who were hyped up and were expected to perform better, but that's no different to any other club. Occasionally you find a gem out of an 'average-reputation' NRL player, like a Coote or a Hastings or an Austin, but more often than not you get a dud. 

just watching where inglis scores for aus against eng in the 2009 four nations final (both inglis and the eng defender slid heavily in to the advertising boards)- a dubious try that took an age to decide on the replay-with aus behind on the scoreboard at this point- inglis 1st reaction wasnt to celebrate or go running to the ref or touch judge waving his arms- it was to make sure the eng defender was ok - a great measure of a man in my eyes 

Archived