Brett Dallas (Merged Threads)

43 minutes ago, JIMMY MAGNETS said:

Have a look on twitter february 8th 2018 I think his rants go on and on .. sl@gs everyone off and also has a pop at billy Boston and mike Gregory!!

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

HAve looked on his social media. Cant find anything out of the ordinary. What I find strange is people on relatively good wages need to turn to crime. I assume he must have been on near 100k a year.

And then pop on his Instagram and tell me that’s normal!

6 hours ago, JIMMY MAGNETS said:

It's actually disturbing when you see him and how he is . His eyes say it all very scary . Complete opposite to when I watched him at wigan . Very sad really needs help

To be fair I think Saints used to chain Vince Karalius up under the stands inbetween matches and only fed him on raw meat.

Otherwise, should this not be on the Australian forum?

21 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

HAve looked on his social media. Cant find anything out of the ordinary. What I find strange is people on relatively good wages need to turn to crime. I assume he must have been on near 100k a year.

£100k a year for 10 years isn’t that great. Especially when you hit your early 30s and you have to go and get a normal job. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • John Drake changed the title to Brett Dallas (Merged Threads)
On 11/01/2021 at 08:07, Mark S said:

£100k a year for 10 years isn’t that great. Especially when you hit your early 30s and you have to go and get a normal job. 

I don’t know anyone who earned £100k a year in their 20s, or anywhere near it. You must have some rich friends if you think that isn’t a lot of money. 

Sports people have an inverse relationship with money.

Most professional people would expect to be earning the most in their careers in their 40's and 50's but with sportspeople it is in their 20's.  Some manage it really well and some go off the rails with gambling, spending, addictions etc.

If I were earning $1M a year in my 20's knowing what I know now about compounding returns and reinvesting dividends, I would have a fortune.  But that's because I am a thoroughly boring middle age man who reads about ISA's, VCT's and Enterprise Investment Schemes for enjoyment.

But giving $1M to me when I was in my 20's could well have killed me cause I was an irresponsible idiot.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I still am!

I admire you.  Wish I was, I am a very boring man these days!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I admire you.  Wish I was, I am a very boring man these days!

would rather die regretting what i have done rather than regretting the things i never did, them care homes look very unforgiving and your a long time dead- as long your happy and not hurting anyone - do it

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

as long your happy and not hurting anyone - do it

100%

23 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Sports people have an inverse relationship with money.

Most professional people would expect to be earning the most in their careers in their 40's and 50's but with sportspeople it is in their 20's.  Some manage it really well and some go off the rails with gambling, spending, addictions etc.

I think age is probably just one factor in it to be honest. 

It's only relatively recently that this has changed, but it was pretty common for RL clubs to identify talent at a very early age, divert the attention of these kids (who, to be kind, have not necessarily come from the "brightest" backgrounds) from mainstream education and towards rugby - and basically train them in an industry where the eminent skill has been to get back up from a pretty big knock to the body. Once we're done with them, these kids are thrown out into the big wide world, often with little skills, life experience, prospects, support groups and, in the case of RL, not an awful lot of money either. Is it any wonder that some ex-players go off the rails? 

I'm not necessarily saying that this is what has happened with Dallas or that it is in anyway a defence for his behaviour, and I know that clubs are now a lot better at things like tie-ups with local colleges and universities to help players develop skills to prepare them either for retirement nor not making the grade, but it's asking a lot for those players to transition from the RL field to "Civvy Street" that easily. 

It's not a problem unique to RL or even sport - the armed forces have a similar problem when you consider the prevelance of drug and alcohol abuse in ex-squaddies. But it is one of those situations that comes under the banner of "player welfare" - something that I think the sport doesn't take seriously at the best of times, let alone when it comes to the welfare of players once they're off the club payroll.  

Archived