2 hours ago, langpark said:

Looks like they have announced a 6-team competition for the upcoming season:

Valencia, Barcelona, Alicante, Madrid, Mallorca, Malaga.

I can see logistics being a real issue, especially for the Mallorca team. Best of luck to them though.

https://twitter.com/EspanaRL/status/1347871250849402883?s=20

Will there still be regionalised leagues underneath this league? I think there was a league in and around Valencia

15 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Will there still be regionalised leagues underneath this league? I think there was a league in and around Valencia

I doubt it. I think that league stopped running about 4 years ago.

Valencia, Barcelona and Alicante could play matches more often amongst themselves. My fear though is that they will just be union teams playing during their bye weekends. We shall soon see. 

23 hours ago, langpark said:

I can see logistics being a real issue, especially for the Mallorca team. Best of luck to them though.

If my memory serves me correctly from when I lived in the Baelerics, the local Government subsidises travel to and from the mainland for sports clubs. 

But would a 'novice' sport like RL qualify? 

4 hours ago, Number 16 said:

If my memory serves me correctly from when I lived in the Baelerics, the local Government subsidises travel to and from the mainland for sports clubs. 

But would a 'novice' sport like RL qualify? 

Good question. But even if it is free, would still be difficult. What is the ferry duration and frequency (of departures)? They would probably be forced to stay overnight in many cases. So as I said initially, this will be quite a logistical challenge if it eventuates.

21 hours ago, langpark said:

Good question. But even if it is free, would still be difficult. What is the ferry duration and frequency (of departures)? They would probably be forced to stay overnight in many cases. So as I said initially, this will be quite a logistical challenge if it eventuates.

If the Mallorca team is based in Palma then all travel could be completed in a single day, with the possible exception of Madrid. Other island sports clubs do that with few dramas. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

If the Mallorca team is based in Palma then all travel could be completed in a single day, with the possible exception of Madrid. Other island sports clubs do that with few dramas. 

Are you sure? I know nothing about the area, but a quick google search says that Mallorca to Barcelona is a 6-7hr ferry ride and that they run 7-9 times per week. I think the only way humanly possible to do it in a day would be to fly, and even then it would be very long day, not to mention costly. 

9 hours ago, langpark said:

Are you sure? 

100%. I lived in the Balearics!!! Flights to and from the islands are pretty cheap, at about €50 return, but the local authorities then subsidise that amount for sports clubs. 

Soccer, basketball, rugby union, even cricket and synchronised swimming all participate in mainland comps and do it in a day. I have personal experience of such! 

On 10/01/2021 at 09:18, fighting irish said:

Is the chap from the Euro XIII competition involved in this organisation? 

He's the Spanish president is he not?

new rise.jpg

53 minutes ago, Pulga said:

He's the Spanish president is he not?

I'm not sure Pulga, I'm out of touch really but I admire the bloke for making things happen.

The whole game has been built by people just like him and you.

Sadly, as they say in Ireland shi...ts his thanks.

You know the story of what happened to the fella that first harnessed fire, they burned him at the stake.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2021 at 04:21, Number 16 said:

100%. I lived in the Balearics!!! Flights to and from the islands are pretty cheap, at about €50 return, but the local authorities then subsidise that amount for sports clubs. 

Soccer, basketball, rugby union, even cricket and synchronised swimming all participate in mainland comps and do it in a day. I have personal experience of such! 

You were in the Menorca Synchronised Swimming team? 

• 1 month later...
On 09/01/2021 at 15:01, langpark said:

Looks like they have announced a 6-team competition for the upcoming season:

Valencia, Barcelona, Alicante, Madrid, Mallorca, Malaga.

https://twitter.com/EspanaRL/status/1347871250849402883?s=20

Looks great! Ling way from Barca to Malaga though (haven’t done it on a bus!).

In a fit of boredom I’ve just been doing a bit of internet research into RL in Spain. It’s not easy to come by info, especially as I don’t speak Spanish, but it looks like there are a few clubs in the Madrid area as well as in Catalonia. With enthusiastic leadership (which they seem to have) hopefully the game can grow over there. They’ve even got an online magazine https://cdn.flipsnack.com/widget/v2/flipsnackwidget.html?hash=v1kq9jjd1j&t=&fullscreen=1

There was a team in Madrid for a couple of years, around 2015-16, I think they were called the Custodians.  I have not seen anything recent regarding teams in Madrid, aside from the ad in that magazine you just posted, which shows a jersey of the proposed new Madrid team.

• 4 months later...

Sorry fellas, not been around for a while.  Once again, everything looks to have ground to a halt, with the exception of Wheelchair RL.

On this forum, you can piece together a history of Spanish RL until now.  There was a small Catalan league but it fell apart when they couldn't play as Catalunya.

The next step was the formation of clubs in Madrid and in Valencia for informal and later formal national games.  Madrid Griffons were mostly students and enthusiasts, Custodians de Madrid were the Madrid Police.  Valencia was dominated by Tigres de Torrent, Griffons fell apart due to a lack of local competition (they needed a local league).

When the Valencian teams said they couldn't travel when the three Andalusian teams turned up, teams were doing 16 hours round trips for games.  This is not unusual in minority sports, there are huge travel times for ice hockey for instance and I think American Football is now only 8-a-side.  Custodians got the Malaga Police involved, first named Custodians Malaga and then as Boquerones de Malaga.  Yes, the team was called the Malaga Anchovies.

Those teams wanted their own local league, so we were back to Valencians teams and Custodians.  Valencian teams stopped travelling to Madrid, a couple of the pitches in Valencia were not safe (including Tigres - wrong type of astroturf, pitches being too small etc) and so Custodians rightly pulled out of the league.

And then nothing.  Andalusia split their committee by province, nothing.  New teams formed in Valencia, nothing.  The Griffons tried again under the Roosters name, nothing.  Players can't get insured and the main recruiting tool for any kind of Rugby is universities (every university, public or private, has men's and women's team in Madrid) and RL is not in a single one.  You can't blame them for the season being delayed, every amateur sport has been delayed or postponed.  However, any resources gained in the last 8 years by the RLEF or the years before that in Catalunya have been fully squandered.  It's starting from zero again.

I hope the RLEF gets or has got the insurance situation sorted.  Otherwise, nobody will pay hundreds per season to play.  FER, the union governing body, includes insurance in the club registrations.  It sounds like sacrilege and it's unlikely they'd even get the time of day but if RLEF can't get that sorted, they have to go to the FER, like those rebel clubs did in Italy.

A shame but Spain has always come across to me as a tough one, distances especially. 

RL needs to observe then target countries that have the right people and potential to make things happen. RL resources are limited and a few countries getting the help to improve is better than trying to spread the financial help too wide. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• 1 month later...

Archived