Sky - please learn from BT sports

I watch a lot of the BT Sports Union coverage (don't bother making boring comments/'jokes' pleasešŸ˜)Ā 

For those who don't know I am first and foremost a league fan

I like the way SKY have supported RL and clearly want it to succeedĀ 

But..... BT's coverage hasĀ 

- 6 really good main presenters plus their commentatorsĀ 

-A plush/large set for their 'discussions' bits plus the weekly 'Rugby show'.Ā 

- Adverts for thier coverage across BT sports with them all on - the most recent one is funny/quality /enticingĀ 

Why can't SKY do the same for SL? Instead we get Carney (who I like) every time with one or two others at pitch side on a 'set' that has a dirty wrinkled black matting on the floor and looks cheap and terrible.Ā 

I don't know for sure but the TV deals are comparable for the Gallagher Prem and Betfred SL I think? . Viewing figures similar too (I think? ). Why can't SKY pump the same resources into thier coverage?Ā 

Should we demand more? I for one would love BT sports to have a go at SL - refresh the whole thing

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

The TV deals are not really comparable though, this report says that BT is paying 110 million Ā£ for a three year extension, or more than 35 million Ā£ per year.Ā  Then again the Gallagher Premiership is a national league, not a regional M62 league.

That is comparable to the current SL deal. We'll have to wait and see what the new deal is.

I know exactly what you mean, you really get the sense they want to sell and show off the sport, which is perhaps my main criticism of Sky. You feel like BT treat it as a premium product and it does have echoes of how sky were with Super League originally, so it may fade over time but for now it is very good.

Naturally you could say "well why should Sky do that" etcĀ and I'd have a lot of sympathy for that position given the nature of top flight RL as an essentially small regional affair. But equally you don't feel that support and enthusiasm from Sky towards RL in the way RU has from BT. Given the new American ownership of Sky I doubt we'll see a resurgence either

The union competition doesn't rate as well as Super League.

It's fair to say Sky's coverage is now sadly lacking. Eddie and Stevo held it together for so many years but there just hasn't been top quality replacements in either role.

17 minutes ago, M j M said:

The union competition doesn't rate as well as Super League.

It's fair to say Sky's coverage is now sadly lacking. Eddie and Stevo held it together for so many years but there just hasn't been top quality replacements in either role.

I was a big advocate of getting rid of Eddie and Stevo, but in hindsight the whole production has been lost without them.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I was a big advocate of getting rid of Eddie and Stevo, but in hindsight the whole production has been lost without them.Ā 

That shouldn't be a surprise though.Ā  It was evident the times before Eddie Hemmings retired when Bill Arthur filled on commentary that he wasn't as good at it.

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure if you've seen the most recent BT coverageĀ 

It feels premiumĀ 

It feels important and big

It feels the broadcaster loves the game and knows it has a great future

Let's get London Broncos in a 13 team super League this year and stick it on BT

100% with you but can't see it happening.

23 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Glad it is not just me

It's ironic that Union feels fresh, fun and modern in the coverageĀ 

I think its just the undercurrent of confidence and enthusiasm they seem to have for it. They advertise it loads, they recruit top former pros for their team, they produce regular additional content, they've bought more of it to suppliment their coverage.

Sky do the same but for Football, the occasional cricket international and golf major.Ā 

57 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Sky own and govern SL.

We are stuckĀ with them sadly.

This is just rubbish, sorry.

We've a longstanding commercial relationship with them but it doesn't mean our product can't be taken elsewhere.

BT have been pretending, god knows why, that soccer and union are equals since their launch.

You're seeing a lot of adverts selling union because BT can't sell advertising right now and they need to fill the breaks directing people to watch something they wouldn't watch without repeated adverts.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Ā (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The TV deals are not really comparable though, this report says that BT is paying 110 million Ā£ for a three year extension, or more than 35 million Ā£ per year.Ā  Then again the Gallagher Premiership is a national league, not a regional M62 league.

It's mostly regionally a M5 league.Ā  The Northern Union broke away from the RFU, so its no wonder we are regional.Ā 

(and not every club turned to RL)

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It's mostly regionally a M5 league.Ā  The Northern Union broke away from the RFU, so its no wonder we are regional.Ā 

(and not every club turned to RL)

Gloucester, Worcester, Bath, Bristol are on the M5. The rest aren't.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Ā (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Gloucester, Worcester, Bath, Bristol are on the M5. The rest aren't.

Do not let people pretend that the top RU professional game is national. It central and western. The best you can say about London is its western London.

We, the north, broke away from the RFU... and then in the next breath people moan that we areĀ northern game!!

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Do not let people pretend that the top RU professional game is national. It central and western. The best you can say about London is its western London.

We, the north, broke away from the RFU... and then in the next breath people moan that we areĀ northern game!!

Blackheath is in west London, is it?

Rugby union is a national game. You making up nonsense about an M5 corridor is irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yeah, it's just the west, and the middle, and the south east, with a couple of clubs in the north. It's just a parochial little regional competition šŸ™‚

Archived