Season start could be delayed (Merged threads)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Another reason why relegation may be completely impractical is that it looks less and less likely that a full Championship season is going to be possible so we're back to not being very clear how you promote anyone.

take a lead from womens football (the growing popular game) and toss a coin? 

or 

appeal to young fans (and a fair number of the players) and have a fortnite competition? 

:kolobok_ph34r:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

What will happen if all fixtures cannot be fulfilled with the League tables, surely consideration must be given for cancellations due to Covid?

The RFL have already said that the Championship and C1 tables will be based upon percentage success instead of points, in case of an incomplete season. What view SLE would take of this is unclear.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

28 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The RFL have already said that the Championship and C1 tables will be based upon percentage success instead of points, in case of an incomplete season. What view SLE would take of this is unclear.

Theoretically a team could play 10 fixtures win every one and have a 100% record, whilst another could play 15 fixtures win 12 of them and return 80% so be behind the 100% team on the league ladder, that doesn't seem correct to me.

Taking it a step further supposing the 100% team who in a normal season would be expected to be a "mid-table" team has avoided all the stronger teams in their respective divisions, In League 1 finishing top would mean automatic promtion, in the Championship it could be denying a team who has spent a lot in speculating for success and a top 5 finish therefore qyalifying for the playoffs, OK I have probably suggested an extreme situation but I think this decision by the RFL could rise to some consternation by the seasons end.

40 minutes ago, RP London said:

take a lead from womens football (the growing popular game) and toss a coin? 

or 

appeal to young fans (and a fair number of the players) and have a fortnite competition? 

:kolobok_ph34r:

Don't.

Just don't.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Theoretically a team could play 10 fixtures win every one and have a 100% record, whilst another could play 15 fixtures win 12 of them and return 80% so be behind the 100% team on the league ladder, that doesn't seem correct to me.

Taking it a step further supposing the 100% team who in a normal season would be expected to be a "mid-table" team has avoided all the stronger teams in their respective divisions, In League 1 finishing top would mean automatic promtion, in the Championship it could be denying a team who has spent a lot in speculating for success and a top 5 finish therefore qyalifying for the playoffs, OK I have probably suggested an extreme situation but I think this decision by the RFL could rise to some consternation by the seasons end.

So please propose a better one that is robust under all circumstances then, Harry.

There are plenty of things besides the RL Championship that may cause more than consternation at present, I reckon.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

if its like the super league last year there will, no doubt, be a minimum number of games to play to make the season work, this would potentially eliminate this possibility. Super League and the NFL extended the number of teams in the play offs as well which helps to negate for clubs that find themselves in a hole if too many players are isolating due to it etc.. the beauty of a play off system is you can still win the league from 5th/6th so even if the teams are all in the wrong order the best team is likely to win the league. 

potentially lots of ways to negate the issues here of using a percentage. 

There is also a certain amount of making the best out of a bad situation. I dont think there can ever be a perfect answer so go for the least bad option? not sure if this is it though. 

if clubs can get games played or, more importantly, NEED to get games played then perhaps you go for something that isnt perfect so that you dont just lose all the clubs anyway. 

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Don't.

Just don't.

thought you would have a particular gripe on this one knowing your love for the womens game... bloody ridiculous suggestion!

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

So please propose a better one that is robust under all circumstances then, Harry.

There are plenty of things besides the RL Championship that may cause more than consternation at present, I reckon.

Honest answer Johnny is I just don't know. But from the examples I suggested I would say that this system is far from being robust.

As for your second sentance, totally agree.

Just now, RP London said:

thought you would have a particular gripe on this one knowing your love for the womens game... bloody ridiculous suggestion!

[Quick digression to state the obvious]

JUST PAUSE THE COMPETITION UNTIL YOU CAN PLAY IT PROPERLY.

[Digression over].

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

[Quick digression to state the obvious]

JUST PAUSE THE COMPETITION UNTIL YOU CAN PLAY IT PROPERLY.

[Digression over].

Now you know better than to suggest common sense solutions to the people running sport in the country surely!!! 

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What about promoting the team that finished the last complete season in 4th. How does that seem correct to you?

25 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What about promoting the team that finished the last complete season in 4th. How does that seem correct to you?

Forget it , its history , any of the six contenders would have had their critics , let's move on to a better 2021 for all.

8 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Forget it , its history , any of the six contenders would have had their critics , let's move on to a better 2021 for all.

That’s not the Rugby League way. We moan and advocate change but once there’s change, we moan about that change and advocate something else but once there’s change, we...

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Championship have a play off dont they so its quite easy for a team to finish 4th and get promoted.

This is why reluctantly I have to say to Championship fans that they are mostly coming up with a lot of self serving comments.  

13 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The Championship have a play off dont they so its quite easy for a team to finish 4th and get promoted.

This is why reluctantly I have to say to Championship fans that they are mostly coming up with a lot of self serving comments.  

It’s fine when his team win the league from 5th or 6th but god forbid they promote a team from the league below from 4th. 

54 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It's quite easy for a team finishing 5th to win SL too !

14 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Who would that be M'lud?  you read something that someone with absolutely no knowledge writes and you believe it then write it yourself without checking, I bet you think they sell Hovis bread on buses because they advertise it on the side posters, do grow up. 

Now I don’t know if Championship and Championship 1 clubs have had an injection of cash during this period.

But once again I ask the question how can these clubs afford to play games behind closed doors where there will be no money coming from ticket sales or the turnstiles along with probably no sponsorship?

The players will have to be paid as they will no longer be on furlough.

Or have Championship and Championship 1 clubs because of this had last year’s central funding paid in full and not had to pay last year’s wages(ie furlough)which I would assume has made them financially better off?

14 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

It's quite easy for a team finishing 5th to win SL too !

So what?  All I am saying is that the moan or comment coming back is that Leigh happened to be 4th, but this was just after a few games.  It's irrelevant as to who was picked for the 12th SL spot.

It's anyway irrelevant to talk about what the quality of the 4th team is... because even in a full season there is a playoff and with a bit of luck the 4th team could easily be promoted.    This is why P&R does not give the game any favours.

Archived