2021 TV coverage

giasf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

"A total of 61 games shown live on BBC One or BBC Two, with highlights shows in the evening and coverage across BBC Sport online and BBC Radio 5 Live and Sports Extra."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54623157

2 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

" 61 games shown live on BBC One or BBC Two"

Bloody hell! Fair play BBC, that's all the men's, women's and wheelchair's  games is it? All live on BBC1 or BBC2 terrestrial?

I must admit, that is the first time I have seen that quoted, and I don't believe it matched up with previous claims around the coverage. I thought it was claimed that all games would be shown across all of their platforms, I certainly expected the odd lesser game to be online or red button.

1 hour ago, Jack Russell said:

No no no, this link half way down states all 61 are on bb1 and 2 live...

However, I share your reservations and think many of the games will actually be online or red button, but I'd be happy with that too.

But you can see why many have cynicism re the bbc when that promise grand things and then deliver watered down, albeit still to be applauded, output

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I must admit, that is the first time I have seen that quoted, and I don't believe it matched up with previous claims around the coverage. I thought it was claimed that all games would be shown across all of their platforms, I certainly expected the odd lesser game to be online or red button.

Yes, I was actually looking for the quote which said they would cover all the games (but didn't specify where) because I remembered that. Saying they will all be on BBC 1 or 2 puts the RLWC ahead of pretty much any other sporting event the BBC covers ... so I think it's safest to assume they don't mean that.

But all games covered live on a BBC platform is a brilliant result.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, I was actually looking for the quote which said they would cover all the games (but didn't specify where) because I remembered that. Saying they will all be on BBC 1 or 2 puts the RLWC ahead of pretty much any other sporting event the BBC covers ... so I think it's safest to assume they don't mean that.

But all games covered live on a BBC platform is a brilliant result.

Yep, I expect that article is inaccurate, but as you say, having all access to every game for free on a BBC platform is excellent.

3 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

No no no, this link half way down states all 61 are on bb1 and 2 live...

However, I share your reservations and think many of the games will actually be online or red button, but I'd be happy with that too.

That looks like an error in the article. On https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/contracts it says this about the men's World Cup:

16 Matches will be on BBC ONE or BBC TWO and 15 Matches will be on BBC Red Button Service.

That's still fantastic and unprecedented, even before we find out about the other World Cups, which I expect will mostly be streamed or on the red button.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

That looks like an error in the article. On https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/contracts it says this about the men's World Cup:

16 Matches will be on BBC ONE or BBC TWO and 15 Matches will be on BBC Red Button Service.

That's still fantastic and unprecedented, even before we find out about the other World Cups, which I expect will mostly be streamed or on the red button.

So I think, by my count, there is 31 matches in the Men's WC, I think 17 in the women's? And some unspecified in the wheelchair and PDRL. So it may be that not all the men's are shown on the red button, and certainly guessing not all the Women's... and will be hard pressed to watch the others? 

Unfortuanatley I feel deflated as this morning I had read that BBC 1 and 2 would be a RL feast this autumn. If I'd read the coverage the other way around I would have been over the moon

5 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

So I think, by my count, there is 31 matches in the Men's WC, I think 17 in the women's? And some unspecified in the wheelchair and PDRL. So it may be that not all the men's are shown on the red button, and certainly guessing not all the Women's... and will be hard pressed to watch the others? 

Unfortuanatley I feel deflated as this morning I had read that BBC 1 and 2 would be a RL feast this autumn. If I'd read the coverage the other way around I would have been over the moon

Given that the red button channel is still SD, the more non-BBC1/2 matches that get streamed the better, as iPlayer picture quality is much better than RB with all but the slowest internet connections.

Expecting all 61 matches to be shown live on BBC1 & BBC2 was wholly unrealistic, but the BBC as a whole will be a RL feast this Autumn.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Expecting all 61 matches to be shown live on BBC1 & BBC2 was wholly unrealistic, but the BBC as a whole will be a RL feast this Autumn.

indeed, but there is an article on the BBC sport site that still says 61 matches. I guess they meant 16. It's not the Guardian though so I can't be expected to assume everything is a typo

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

It will make it very difficult for the BBC to ignore the Tournaments across their channels

I'm sure certain presenters and programmes will be fully prepared to put in that effort.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

indeed, but there is an article on the BBC sport site that still says 61 matches. I guess they meant 16. It's not the Guardian though so I can't be expected to assume everything is a typo

The original deal was 31 matches, 16 on BBC1 and BBC2, the others across other platforms. 

Since then there was an announcement that the women's and wheelchair games will be shown live too. That may bring it to that 61.

I think the correct claim is they will show all 61 games across the three comps across their platforms. A minimum of 16 mens games will be live on 1 and 2.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The original deal was 31 matches, 16 on BBC1 and BBC2, the others across other platforms. 

Since then there was an announcement that the women's and wheelchair games will be shown live too. That may bring it to that 61.

I think the correct claim is they will show all 61 games across the three comps across their platforms. A minimum of 16 mens games will be live on 1 and 2.

Its unprecedented levels of coverage and pretty staggering for a RL fan. This is the sort of coverage we see other sports get. I can't wait and its going to bring the sport to a whole new audience and remind others that the sport still exists.

49 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its unprecedented levels of coverage and pretty staggering for a RL fan. This is the sort of coverage we see other sports get. I can't wait and its going to bring the sport to a whole new audience and remind others that the sport still exists.

Yep. You know the BBC is capable of this type of coverage. Although Sky are good at what they do. I doubt they’d do this 

13 hours ago, Damien said:

I’m not sure how it compares but the 2013 World Cup had great coverage too.

It’s good so many games are going to be on the bbc and shows how important the international game is, it’s going to be very disappointing if this World Cup is cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’m not sure how it compares but the 2013 World Cup had great coverage too.

It’s good so many games are going to be on the bbc and shows how important the international game is, it’s going to be very disappointing if this World Cup is cancelled. 

2013 had the majority of games on Premier. Some absolutely epic games were shown to around 5 to 10k people. 

This is miles ahead of 2013.

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

2013 had the majority of games on Premier. Some absolutely epic games were shown to around 5 to 10k people. 

Indeed. A shame they bbc couldn't be bothered to show the home nations' games iirc.  All the ireland games were brutal. And scotland Samoa was amazing albeit a dead rubber. Think Tonga v nz was on premier too? I accidentally get into nascar then too because that's on Premier as well, I didn't meant to it just happened. 

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

2013 was a great World Cup but unfortunately much of it was hidden away. What was shown on the BBC got very positive reactions and we had epic games like the semi final against NZ. I am certain that the positive feedback and good viewing figures was fundamental in getting the greatly extended coverage we are seeing from the BBC for 2021.

49 minutes ago, Damien said:

2013 was a great World Cup but unfortunately much of it was hidden away. What was shown on the BBC got very positive reactions and we had epic games like the semi final against NZ. I am certain that the positive feedback and good viewing figures was fundamental in getting the greatly extended coverage we are seeing from the BBC for 2021.

Yep, I 100% believe 2013 set us up for this time, and tbh that's all we can ask, growth each time. 

As much as 2017 was a disappointment in parts, it was bigger than their 2008 wc. 

I’ve only seen one game of Wheelchair  RL but it was that epic France-England game that was brilliant sporting drama and skill.

I think the link for it was posted on here remembering back.

It was much more enthralling than the other wheelchair code or wheelchair basketball - would hope this World Cup could be a breakthrough moment for it.

53 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve only seen one game of Wheelchair  RL but it was that epic France-England game that was brilliant sporting drama and skill.

I think the link for it was posted on here remembering back.

It was much more enthralling than the other wheelchair code or wheelchair basketball - would hope this World Cup could be a breakthrough moment for it.

I watched a couple of matches and really loved it. Plus it is far more like Rugby than the Olympic version of Wheelchair Rugby. Oval balls, no forward passes allowed, touchdowns, penalty/conversion "kicks" etc. Very much looking forward to the World Cup.

For those who have seen neither, here's a bit of each.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 15/01/2021 at 13:32, DI Keith Fowler said:

Just had a look, says at least 16 of the mens on BBC 1 or 2, nothing about Women's or wheelchair. I don't know if somethings changed or the writer of the new article got carried away!

There'll be plenty online. Nothing wrong with that. As long as the big games are on TV, which they will be, that's all that matters.

Being on the BBC website is better than hiding on Premier Sports being watched by very few.

Most of the snooker isn't shown on proper telly these days, for example.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I’d forgotten half the games were on premier sports, I was just remembering a lot of games been on the bbc in 2013. The BBC red button is certainly preferable to been on a pay tv channel like premier sports. 

Archived