Record 34 million views for Kelsey Gentles tackle

Great clip and great action.

34 million views of Rugby League action is the reason why I am not depressed that the Sunday Times doesn't mention our sport.

It is entirely up to us how we showcase the sport moving forward. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not just the tenacity of performing such a tackle but the bravery of it also knowing full well she was putting her head/face in a collision zone with the attackers raising heels.

The comantater didn't sound too pleased lol. 

She deserves it! Well done! 👏

I still feel bad for her though that they scored straight after that. I appreciated how knackered she must have been, I just wish she could have mustered the energy to her hold her down just a bit longer. Anyway, still takes no shone off her outstanding effort. 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the aussie lass seemed to set off well but was treading water on the last 15m , still though well done ladies for having a go 

I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark here but I am guessing you wouldn't have caught the Aussie 'lass'.

And I don't mean now... I mean ever.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark here but I am guessing you wouldn't have caught the Aussie 'lass'.

And I don't mean now... I mean ever.

i caught garry schofields brother when we played hunslet parkside in very early 80s so i may have done 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ha, would that have been "Pegleg Schofield" then?

prob -am so slow these days  i couldnt catch covid at at the hospital intensive care easter orgy 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

That was brilliant. Those cross field track back tackles that denied a try being scored were my absolute favourite little flavour of the sport, they felt like once per season moments. Two that stick out for me that I saw for Bradford were David Halley on Dimitri Pelo (Catalans, 2009ish) and Shaun Ainscough on Ryan McGoldrick (Hull FC, 2012ish).

24 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

That was brilliant. Those cross field track back tackles that denied a try being scored were my absolute favourite little flavour of the sport, they felt like once per season moments. Two that stick out for me that I saw for Bradford were David Halley on Dimitri Pelo (Catalans, 2009ish) and Shaun Ainscough on Ryan McGoldrick (Hull FC, 2012ish).

One good one last year was Tom Johnstone's appearance from nowhere to wrap up Liam Farrell. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

3 hours ago, langpark said:

She deserves it! Well done! 👏

I still feel bad for her though that they scored straight after that. I appreciated how knackered she must have been, I just wish she could have mustered the energy to her hold her down just a bit longer. Anyway, still takes no shone off her outstanding effort. 

Slight sour note that for me (putting on my misery hat). Fabulous tackle, but went unrewarded as she then had to let her go. Perhaps as I was brought up partially following RU (barely watch it now) but making a tackle and then being able to contest possession is the one thing RU has over RL. When you chase someone down but then can’t dispossess them feels restricted/shackled. You’ve stopped a player, but can’t take the ball. The ball is right next to you but you can’t touch it.  That must be some adjustment for rugger players who move to RL.

Cant think of any other sporting code where you can’t contest possession (perhaps netball, which is ultra restrictive). Even Gridiron (similar to RL in that you have a certain number of possessions) you can strip the ball from a player, though only when upright as I think when the knee touches the ground the play is over. 

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Maybe it's my sick mind but I wasn't sure what the video entailed. 😁

Redundant use of the word "maybe". :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Maybe it's my sick mind but I wasn't sure what the video entailed. 😁

I must admit, when I first read it I thought it said record 34 million views for Kelsey Grammer's tackle!

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Slight sour note that for me (putting on my misery hat). Fabulous tackle, but went unrewarded as she then had to let her go. Perhaps as I was brought up partially following RU (barely watch it now) but making a tackle and then being able to contest possession is the one thing RU has over RL. When you chase someone down but then can’t dispossess them feels restricted/shackled. You’ve stopped a player, but can’t take the ball. The ball is right next to you but you can’t touch it.  That must be some adjustment for rugger players who move to RL.

Cant think of any other sporting code where you can’t contest possession (perhaps netball, which is ultra restrictive). Even Gridiron (similar to RL in that you have a certain number of possessions) you can strip the ball from a player, though only when upright as I think when the knee touches the ground the play is over. 

I can't relate to the RU background you speak about, so I tend to think the rules are fine as they are.

She was far too "generous" and released her almost immediately, I think she could have held on about another two seconds, which could have made the difference.  Worse-case scenario, and if the match is going down to the wire, it might even be worth conceding the penalty and getting sin-binned.  This was a 9s match, so I think sin-bin is only 3 minutes.  Anyway, if I remember correctly, England were beaten comfortably in this match.

A 9 year old at my local playing field probably has a similar number of views from all the YouTube clips combined of him tearing up during some RL games. It was also on sports reports all around the world at the time. 

here’s one of them

6 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

i caught garry schofields brother when we played hunslet parkside in very early 80s so i may have done 

Ahh ha!  Beat you there Johnny.  Played for Redhill at Parkside when Schoey got an intercept near his own line.  Off he trotted down the wing.  I could hear the wise sages in the crowd saying ‘he will go under the posts’ whilst they held onto their beer.  Well I nailed him 10 yards short of the line.  The crowd went so quiet I thought the Queen must have died.

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I assume the 34 million figure is on the England RL Facebook page.

On the Australian Women`s Rugby League Facebook page this clip has 69.4 million views.

Hate to insert a sour note, but judging from the attached comments, most of those viewing do not think they are watching Rugby League. They think they are watching "Rugby".

They are TGG

4 hours ago, Copa said:

A 9 year old at my local playing field probably has a similar number of views from all the YouTube clips combined of him tearing up during some RL games. It was also on sports reports all around the world at the time. 

here’s one of them

Great clip. Mini Lomu.

First time I seen this was from an Aussie who posted it as an example of why Pacific Islanders were putting off Aussie kids from playing. If I recall his post correctly the increase in numbers from the PI in the youth set up was dissuading whites from competing due to the gulf in size at that age. 

Archived