Favourite RL cliches........

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australian commentators using "stanza" instead of "half" at half time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Live after death said:

Chris Joynt was,  yer know yer know 

Pardon?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

"Every time we come to Headingley there is a dog on the pitch. Why oh why people bring dogs to rugby games, I'll never know!"

"Well, these kicking tees get bigger by the minute. I was up in Humberside the other day, and there was a lad using one which looked like a traffic cone off the M62."

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Dressing sheds.

Going forward.

A game of inches.

Coach-speak: "he's not that kind of player"

Eddie Waring: "The ex-Shaw Cross centre/winger/prop/hooker

EW: "Stevie Pitchford, the pocket battleship"

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Joking aside, when did coach-speak gobbledygook first rear its ugly head? About the mid-1980s? Something else that came over from Australia? Before the mid-1980s, coaches used terminology everybody could understand. 

It isn't just RL, or even sport though, is it? Let's not beat ourselves up again, please.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Yet another Alexism, " now watch how he sells this dummy, just watch, you can't give those away at a corner shop". 😂

and "as long as you keep hold of his head it isn't a foul tackle".

Not a cliche but a comment French would want to forget , on the eve of Wigan v Sheff Eagles CC final the beeb did a preview prog  on the friday night....'' What is your prediction for the game Ray ? ''

'' Wigan will be polishing their medals already ''

Archived