Season Delay confirmed

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Logic answer is a 22 game season, with Challenge Cup to allow the World Cup to proceed as normal.

All rests on whether Sky accept that or demand a rebate for it. 

If they do, then we will probably have to go the full season and delay the World Cup to 2022.

That would be bad, but not as bad as losing a significant chunk of Sky funding.

37 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Logic answer is a 22 game season, with Challenge Cup to allow the World Cup to proceed as normal.

All rests on whether Sky accept that or demand a rebate for it. 

If they do, then we will probably have to go the full season and delay the World Cup to 2022.

That would be bad, but not as bad as losing a significant chunk of Sky funding.

To be fair sky are entitled to a rebate for a shorter season 

48 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

This is painful news because it means that SL clubs will lose even more money.

I'm not sure they have said it will be a shorter season. They may just cram the 2 fixtures into the season. Not saying they should, but on Cup weekends we will probably see SL fixtures. 

42 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

and we won’t have crowds til at least August if not later.

Well we know the vaccine won’t be fully rolled out until the end of the year, but I guess we’ll know over the next couple of months just how effective it is at reducing the mortality and hospitalisation rate to a level similar to the flu. When the vaccinations of the vulnerable will completed I’m not sure, but I expect it to be at least a month after that before there will be the confidence to allow large gatherings. What to do. Wait and see I guess.

After that, realistically we’ll be looking at lower crowds anyway as RL has to ride out the economic hit to the heartlands. If there was a ever a time to be bold and make the sport more open, entertaining and attractive to ‘neutrals’ then this would be it. However, the fact that we all know it will be a long haul means we plan accordingly, and RL has good form for battening down the hatches and holding on.

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m optimistic on crowds. By the time the season starts the most vulnerable oldies will be vaxxed and the winter peak will be a fading memory.

No reason why we couldn’t have restricted crowds by Easter at the latest.

I agree with this.

The Aviation industry is heavily relying on Easter being a bumper time to fly based on a third of our population being vaccinated, and that's not including the 4 million or so who have already had the virus.

I can see some fans being allowed in under strict guidance, and IF NOT, i don't think it will be that longer wait to be honest.

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m optimistic on crowds. By the time the season starts the most vulnerable oldies will be vaxxed and the winter peak will be a fading memory.

I tend to agree. I think we will see a couple of thousand at some grounds relatively early in the season, and the two week delay seems sensible. Whether it is right or not, this government are keen on getting things up and running as soon as is possible, look at the things we were doing last summer, and it was only a month or two back that some crowds were in grounds. 

One thing we saw last year was that a lot changed in relatively short periods of time. In April it looked like nothing would open for the rest of the year, yet as numbers dropped we were soon sitting inside restaurants and bars again. 

I won't go into the politics of this, or whether we were too ambitious, but based on that, plus the presence of a vaccine and additional measures, I think we will see crowds relatively early,

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The first review of the current restrictions is mid February. Easter is the first week in April.

Assuming we maintain the same direction of travel as now, I think you'll see sports being able to have crowds by then but probably at a very similar level to previously. So the 1,000-2,000 maximum for elite sports and lower for the rest. There may be restrictions on travelling support as before as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

It's almost a given that there would be no travelling support with Tier 3-4 restrictions in place.

The next question is who should get first dibs on entry if crowds are restricted to 1-2000? 😁

It will obviously be Corporate first, Season Ticket holders second, the Season Ticket holders will probably have to go into a ballot system where you opt in to it - bearing in mind some ST holders may not be comfortable attending just yet or some may not be allowed if they are shielding 

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It will obviously be Corporate first

I wonder how this will affect the corporate side of things? With any restrictions in place above Tier 2, we wouldn't see corporate boxes allowed would we?

I guess we'd have to get creative with how we present things, like pubs and cafes have done.

Re: the easing of restrictions in Feb...

Haven't the government hinted that schools may not return until Easter? I would have thought the re-opening of schools would be the yardstick by which to plan the relaxing of other things like gatherings.

Assuming we slowly downgrade the tiers over a couple of months after the schools reopen wouldn't we have to wait for Tier 2 before we can let spectators in? That's how I read the restrictions. But knowing me I've probably misunderstood it all.

2 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I wonder how this will affect the corporate side of things? With any restrictions in place above Tier 2, we wouldn't see corporate boxes allowed would we?

I guess we'd have to get creative with how we present things, like pubs and cafes have done.

Can it be classed as 'work'?

17 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I doubt it, but I like it 🙂

Its not a s daft as it sounds - when we were allowed into pubs but only with people from your own household, there was actually an exemption in the rules that said you can meet with people from outside your household is it was for work purposes. such as a meeting.

Archived