Season Delay confirmed

8 hours ago, RP London said:

My point is that i dont really see what else can be done given the situation, therefore i dont see the point in getting annoyed about it.

While it is disappointing there are community clubs that also will not be able to take part in it.. but you're not up in arms about that (or at least not included them in your posts)

Im not looking at this from the point of 2 clubs that I follow, I'm looking at it from the pragmatic point of view that you cant really move it and therefore need to just do the best that you can do.. like any business is doing to desperately stay alive in these situations. "we're all in this together" does not mean that difficult decisions dont have to be made and actually allowing the league one clubs to not have to get going so quickly and therefore take advantage of govt help where they can may be the best thing for them.

Assuming the final cannot be moved there isnt much choice in the matter..

If Sheffield ends up not being able to take part I will not get upset about it either, if Warrington dont then we're in a whole other large amount of trouble.. 

In my first post on this topic I included the absence on non league teams in the cup in my concerns.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

In my first post on this topic I included the absence on non league teams in the cup in my concerns.

You don't appear to mention non-league teams anywhere from a quick skim read of this thread. 

But whilst you complain about others, claiming some weird superiority, asking where people will be on cup final day, you do appear to just be complaining because your team/interests may not be able to participate. 

The sport is doing the best it can in a crazy situation, there will be things that happen this year that will be frustrating but there is no perfect solution that fits every need. 

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You don't appear to mention non-league teams anywhere from a quick skim read of this thread. 

But whilst you complain about others, claiming some weird superiority, asking where people will be on cup final day, you do appear to just be complaining because your team/interests may not be able to participate. 

The sport is doing the best it can in a crazy situation, there will be things that happen this year that will be frustrating but there is no perfect solution that fits every need. 

I’ve never heard the term non-league teams to refer to amateur clubs. It’s a very football term to me

On 16/01/2021 at 11:43, Anita Bath said:

Over 120 years of participation in the challenge cup effectively gone at the stroke of a pen as league one season wont start until two months after the challenge cup starts.

They could quite easily have pushed the start of the challenge cup back to may...if they cared. But assuming crowds are back they will be begging us to buy tickets for the final. More chance of me sending the money to twickers Im afraid. 

This is your first post on the topic 

A distinct lack of mentioning “non league” or even amateur clubs

Over 120 years of participation in the challenge cup effectively gone at the stroke of a pen as league one season wont start until two months after the challenge cup starts.

They could quite easily have pushed the start of the challenge cup back to may...if they cared. But assuming crowds are back they will be begging us to buy tickets for the final. More chance of me sending the money to twickers Im afraid. 

On 17/01/2021 at 00:34, Anita Bath said:

Not arguing against delaying the start of the season. My concern is the the plan for the challenge cup does not accommodate that delay.

On 17/01/2021 at 05:27, Anita Bath said:

No they havent agreed to dropping out of the cup....they can still enter but will have to play two months before the start of their regular season.

Obviously you have little interest in league one...thats fine....the big boys can carry on regardless....but where will you be on final day if your team isnt there.

RFL dont want overseas teams in the comp...worried they might get to final and not bring many fans, and now they dont want league one teams.

Maybe just have Wigan, Saints, Leeds and Wire play for it between themselves.

On 17/01/2021 at 10:55, Anita Bath said:

So were they offered the alternative of a delayed start to challenge cup?  I think not...more like this it how it will be...now you can like it ...or lump it.

All your early posts on the subject.. not one mention of anyone below League one.. but thats ok isnt it?... I've played in the early rounds of the cup 3 times (all of which were either a month after our season had finished or before, while being slap bang in the middle of theres) and they were amazing experiences to be part of, going to the finals those years (no matter who was in it) was great because you had participated at some point... but you're more worried about league one clubs but then castigate anyone who may think its ok because "they support a bigger club" and they're ok.. its a minor point that you are also not looking back down the pyramid but its one just to shine a light on.

Until my kids were born i used to be a regular at the final, i am still a regular at magic weekend and at the grand final and go to as many matches as I can do throughout the year (as other commitments allow)... I was there in 2019 with my son now he is old enough to enjoy it, was going to be there last year and would be there this year regardless.. so if the "where will you be on final day" was aimed at me, Wembley would be my answer.. if that is that important to you. 

I love the fact that lower league teams are able to participate and challenge themselves against the better teams from higher leagues its fantastic. But lets be realistic too the final will be between 2 super league teams. The early rounds help clubs because of the money through the gates and across the bar (a good cup run brings in much needed revenue etc), that isnt going to realistically happen and it could be more costly to put the games on than the money you receive back, can the RFL afford the prize money with no fans at the big events this year? grand scheme of things League one or champ clubs in the challenge cup this year is very low down on the list of things we need to keep sacrosanct.. 

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

Try looking at my post on Rochdale Hornets page...you will need to go down to the league one teams ...i expect that will be new territory for you but you never know, you might enjoy it.

Already explained one option to accommodate all league teams as well as those not in the professional ranks would be play it later in the season.  

Another option would be if all teams cannot be included because of the difficulties of playing games then  cancel the competition (as has been done previously in emergency situations).

22 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Try looking at my post on Rochdale Hornets page...you will need to go down to the league one teams ...i expect that will be new territory for you but you never know, you might enjoy it.

Already explained one option to accommodate all league teams as well as those not in the professional ranks would be play it later in the season.  

Another option would be if all teams cannot be included because of the difficulties of playing games then  cancel the competition (as has been done previously in emergency situations).

you specifically said your first post on the topic... yet it isnt we have to go digging around other threads.. 

The final is in position with Wembley ready to go, Wembley is (at the moment) rather busy over the summer with the re arranged Euro 2020 so there isnt much room for it later in the summer. There is also the knock on to general league fixtures, weekends the BBC already have earmarked for coverage and so on there is much more to consider in all of this than simply "move it".. it would have huge implications. To think the RFL would not have considered this I would say is probably wide of the mark. 

Cancel the cup and do what exactly.. pay the BBC back money that we dont have because they have nothing to show on the channel? Cancel Wembley (and potential contractual obligations and costs of doing that), not have a show piece event on free to air television giving much needed air time to the game? talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

There is no perfect solution under the current circumstances but there are massive implications of both of your suggestions, cancelling has to be a last option and only if Super League clubs cannot compete.. to cancel it just because lower league clubs cannot compete, with all the costs associated with that, would be ridiculous. To move it has other implications all of which may well be too much just to try and keep the lower league and community clubs involved for no major gain (perhaps a loss) to them. 

39 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The old “I’m a better fan than you because the club I support is in the lower leagues” approach from Anita there, the font of all the finer details of the 2021 season for everyone, right down to under-6 tag. 

I would say that a person supporting, having the passion and keeping up the enthusiasm for a team in the lower leagues with not a lot expected of them each season, is far harder and deserves more of a mention than supporter's of the high flyer's who contest for the trophies each season.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would say that a person supporting, having the passion and keeping up the enthusiasm for a team in the lower leagues with not a lot expected of them each season, is far harder and deserves more of a mention than supporter's of the high flyer's who contest for the trophies each season.

A teams onfield results does not define their fans and the mythical league table of how great a fan you are. Anyone who supports their club, year in, year out is on par with each other. There are no Willy measuring tactics that make people better in my eyes. 

Over 120 years of participation in the challenge cup effectively gone at the stroke of a pen as league one season wont start until two months after the challenge cup starts

On 17/01/2021 at 05:27, Anita Bath said:

No they havent agreed to dropping out of the cup....they can still enter but will have to play two months before the start of their regular season.

Obviously you have little interest in league one...thats fine....the big boys can carry on regardless....but where will you be on final day if your team isnt there.

So no different to what the amateur clubs face every season then or do you have little interest in them.

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As long as your from that teams home town though Harry,isn’t that how it works ??

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

As long as your from that teams home town though Harry,isn’t that how it works ??

I think we have to accept that, by the definition of True Fan, that West Wales supporters are the greatest rugby league supporters in the country.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

I have no desire to go to a Rochdale Hornets message board. I don't know why you think I should be interested in that. But you crack on with this weird mentality and thinking it makes you better than others.

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Absolute claptrap.

38 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

A teams onfield results does not define their fans and the mythical league table of how great a fan you are. Anyone who supports their club, year in, year out is on par with each other. There are no Willy measuring tactics that make people better in my eyes. 

There just is no ranking, even the point about being on par with each other, its an odd made-up ranking to make some men feel good about themselves.

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

So in your world due to Rochdale agreeing to a later start of the league knowing full well the schedule of the challenge cup, they then expect the competition to shift with them, regardless of the other clubs competing in the competition who have not delayed their season by as much. Then if this is not possible the whole competition be cancelled?  That’s just bizarre

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

In your eyes be it Hela, funny how attendances raise and lower based on any particular teams 'onfield results' unlike any other theory we as individuals have attendances ARE effected by how well or otherwise a team is doing it not there are hundreds of examples of you care to look.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

In your eyes be it Hela, funny how attendances raise and lower based on any particular teams 'onfield results' unlike any other theory we as individuals have attendances ARE effected by how well or otherwise a team is doing it not there are hundreds of examples of you care to look.

Did you miss the bit where I said “year in, year out”? It seems you did.  

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Quite true Harry , but given the current situation it just isn't practical , it's about getting through this with as few casualties as possible 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

having the passion and keeping up the enthusiasm for a team in the lower leagues with not a lot expected of them each season, is far harder

I think you should apologise to Warrington fans. We've just had to endure 'Primrose and Blue' Monday, the day of the year on which we realise it's not our season, before a ball has even been kicked. Then we get psychological abuse over it for another 12 months, with occasional respite on a weekend in August. Snowflake!

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think you should apologise to Warrington fans. We've just had to endure 'Primrose and Blue' Monday, the day of the year on which we realise it's not our season, before a ball has even been kicked. Then we get psychological abuse over it for another 12 months, with occasional respite on a weekend in August. Snowflake!

And this year you won't even get that respite , as it's Leigh's year to win the cup , as we do every fifty years 

Archived