Toronto Wolfpack revival begins as officials line up return this year

23 hours ago, frank said:

Be great   to see them back

If 4 teams over there get running then that is enough for a series of fixtures and a final

I've said it before the majority of their fans won't be too fussed about the standard.... If they can get going as maybe semi pro? Plenty of decent union players over there they could supplement league players with? 

I know more knowledgeable people like Kayakman will care about the standard.... But I am sure he'll take a lower standard as a begining / steeping stone 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

That would be a completely pointless and expensive exercise.

It is an attempt to gauge the appetite for pro-RL and raise Wolfpack's profile with one eye on a possible permanent future return.

If this goes ahead and they can get 10000 (Covid allowing) people turn up, that would send a massively positive message to the RFL/SL/investors about the viability of the club after all that has happened.

It's a speculative investment by Argyle/Wolfpack and good luck to them, if it happens I hope Sky pick it up so I can watch the game.

McDermott referenced clearly that it may well be a winding down of Toronto, essentially a goodbye in that article. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

McDermott referenced clearly that it may well be a winding down of Toronto, essentially a goodbye in that article. 

That seems to be an incredibly insidious reading of "Toronto Wolfpack aren't dead"

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You have to read the whole article to get the context. This is a reference to one of a number of reasons for pursuing the initiative. However, importantly, Brian McDermott adds:

"...but the main reason is I don’t believe Toronto Wolfpack to be dead".

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That seems to be an incredibly insidious reading of "Toronto Wolfpack aren't dead"

But they are. He’s clearly referenced that this may well just be a goodbye, however, they’re hoping it isn’t. Which is nice but without some other mug, hopefully one without a suitcase of moody face creams, they will continue to be gone. It’s also hugely dependent on a hell of a lot of logistical issues changing pretty dramatically in nine months, so it’s just a bit of a pipedream at the minute. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

But they are. He’s clearly referenced that this may well just be a goodbye, however, they’re hoping it isn’t. Which is nice but without some other mug, hopefully one without a suitcase of moody face creams, they will continue to be gone. It’s also hugely dependent on a hell of a lot of logistical issues changing pretty dramatically in nine months, so it’s just a bit of a pipedream at the minute. 

With respect, I'd rather listen to the thoughts of the vastly experienced Brian McDermott.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You've had literally months to whinge about them being dead and buried. I'm not going to engage further to derail this thread if that is all you intend to suggest here.

16 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

You have to read the whole article to get the context. This is a reference to one of a number of reasons for pursuing the initiative. However, importantly, Brian McDermott adds:

"...but the main reason is I don’t believe Toronto Wolfpack to be dead".

Grieving takes many forms. 

Without someone with an open cheque book, they are dead.

And this whole game thing is dependent on a hell of a lot of non-Rugby League logistical issues let alone before we try and work how, in a condensed year in which we’re trying to complete 27 regular season games, the play-offs, the Challenge Cup AND a World Cup, this game somehow fits in and players are available and/or released to play in such a game. 

It’s a nice idea and a bit of a plea for someone to step forward but at the minute, it’s not a lot more than a filler article and can’t be taken with any seriousness. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And this whole game thing is dependent on a hell of a lot of non-Rugby League logistical issues let alone before we try and work how, in a condensed year in which we’re trying to complete 27 regular season games, the play-offs, the Challenge Cup AND a World Cup, this game somehow fits in and players are available and/or released to play in such a game. 

It’s a nice idea and a bit of a plea for someone to step forward but at the minute, it’s not a lot more than a filler article and can’t be taken with any seriousness. 

This is your own spin on the article, which you are perfectly entitled to proffer. As I said, I will give the benefit to the the person who is incredibly experienced, but also has the benefit of being on the inside. Brian McDermott will be perfectly aware that there is a lot of spade work to be done. In his situation, I would suggest he is anything but naive.

Anyway, nice to see the thread alive and kicking.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

How much was raised in the end?

£10,054 in the end not sure how crowdfunding works as I thought you have to reach at minimum the amount hoped for so wether it ever got paid out is for other people to know.

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

little ray of sunshine...

I wonder if this is a signal of intent from Argyle that he is still around, the club isn't dead in an attempt to flush out investors.

I can't help but feel that any rebirth of pro RL in Toronto should maybe take a different approach, with a longer term view. Maybe TWP remain a thing at a local level and as a community thing and Argyl pumps his money on staging RL events in Toronto, staging SL, bidding for NRL games, and internationals. Maybe an NFL model similar to what goes on in London can keep RL alive there for a few years, with a slightly longer term, more patient approach. 

However this plays out, it would be a shame to not try to do anything to serve the population of people who have been enjoying live RL for the last few years. 

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No, what he says is: "the main reason is I don’t believe Toronto Wolfpack to be dead. I don’t believe that myself. I do believe the game needs to go beyond and I do believe Toronto Wolfpack will come back. When it does, I don’t want it to be a case of the brand not being used in the public eye for such a long period of time. Keeping the brand relevant is key."

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I wonder if this is a signal of intent from Argyle that he is still around, the club isn't dead in an attempt to flush out investors.

I can't help but feel that any rebirth of pro RL in Toronto should maybe take a different approach, with a longer term view. Maybe TWP remain a thing at a local level and as a community thing and Argyl pumps his money on staging RL events in Toronto, staging SL, bidding for NRL games, and internationals. Maybe an NFL model similar to what goes on in London can keep RL alive there for a few years, with a slightly longer term, more patient approach. 

However this plays out, it would be a shame to not try to do anything to serve the population of people who have been enjoying live RL for the last few years. 

Having achieved huge success in business, I can't imagine that failure of the project is palatable to David Argyle'with his undoubted fierce inner drive to achieve. Perhaps taken with a sense of unfairness and an acknowledgement of personal failing, there are burning embers, and so Brian McDermott's revival speech is apt. It may be, as you suggest, that David Argyle isn't the one to see this through, but is the facilitator for a successful conclusion.

34 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Realist. 

Pessimist.

You are wrongly assuming they will want to pick a team of Super League players who have had long Challenge Cup runs and are candidates for World Cups squads. That is clearly not the players they are aiming for. It would be a combination of Championship, League 1, out of contract and recently retired players putting on a game in October, after our grand finals.

45 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Pessimist.

You are wrongly assuming they will want to pick a team of Super League players who have had long Challenge Cup runs and are candidates for World Cups squads. That is clearly not the players they are aiming for. It would be a combination of Championship, League 1, out of contract and recently retired players putting on a game in October, after our grand finals.

Eh? It literally says in the article about “past and present players” which will be those who have played for Toronto. A fair few are still in Super League and some will be, along with some others who are now outside of Super League, involved in the World Cup. 

Archived