Toronto Wolfpack revival begins as officials line up return this year

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Or, Argyle had major cash flow issues relating to Covid shutting the world down. Super League do not listen to repeated requests for aid from Toronto (Hunter and McDermott whilst critical of Argyle have also highlighted this). Toronto can't complete the season without aid and so withdraw on the eve of the restart. Argyle can only commit to paying the players once he is able. LiVolsi agrees to take the club off Argyle's hands immediately on the proviso of being in Super League 2021. That is not agreed by Super League thus LiVolsi walks away (having never actually taken over) and Argyle at this point is still unable to fund the club due to the impact of Covid on his businesses.

Then, in late 2020/early 2021, Argyle's prime business interests start to come back to life (Australian mining and mineral export) in some sort of recovery as that nation largely has Covid under control. This opens the door of hope for the club to consider its options for 2021 and beyond. 

Naive student!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

The evidence is though, that we see year after year, clubs not growing or making any serious attempt at doing so because they are so reliant on their Sky money - moreover they are happy to take money from other clubs in order to cover their own laziness. 
In truth, they deserve every bit of criticism- and more.

100% agree. The same clubs who only pay lip service to proper junior development and are not go getters when it comes to sponsorship

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

How do the people of Toronto look at the people of Ottawa and vice versa? Is there sporting rivalries there? I genuinely have little knowledge of sport in Canada or how they view each other away from the sporting arena and I’m asking because Ottawa have a place in the game from 2022 so I’m curious whether Ottawa plan on trying to tap into that lost audience at Toronto and whether they’d take a game there. 

Maybe if McDermott is so pro-North America, there may be a role for him at the Aces. 

In the late 90s / early 2000s there was a massive rivalry between the two hockey clubs. I don’t know what that is like these days. 

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Have I got this right?

Argyle does a runner on the eve of the restart having seen the impact of Covid and Toronto’s 0-6 start. He leaves creditors in the lurch, his associate tries (but fails) to get £200,000 out of Super League, then tries to agree a deal to settle his debt and reform the club? How rugby league!

No, you haven't got it right, just half right, but of course you know that.

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Have I got this right?

Argyle does a runner on the eve of the restart having seen the impact of Covid and Toronto’s 0-6 start. He leaves creditors in the lurch, his associate tries (but fails) to get £200,000 out of Super League, then tries to agree a deal to settle his debt and reform the club? How rugby league!

It's pretty standard in the world of rugby league club owners...

It's hard to fathom which is more predictable the hard line approach that will mark any attempt to ressurect TWP or the tone of posts on here about it. I suppose the only surprising thing in all this is that the Canuck posters felt able and welcome enough to return.

I'd argue for a redfinition of expansion but unless we could come to even a small measure of agreement about the terms it would be pointless.

It is nice when things like the disagreement on here can be so reliable though, is has to be said.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Surpassed Toronto's league record? 

Nobody will be more surprised than me if Leigh don't surpass TWP's 0 - 6, in fact I will go as far to say Leigh may equal the season as I expect TWP would have finishing with a 0 - from all league games played, and Leigh don't possess a marketing phenomenon on the field to set up tries and make all the big hits😉

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't really see why the same 2 or 3 posters are intent on getting every Toronto thread locked. This has been evident from page 1. Envy is a terrible thing.

So that's me and Harry in the clear then 👍😁

13 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I wouldn’t mind if clubs tried stuff and it maybe didn’t work or whatever, it’s not always easy. But we just have a lot of clubs happy to take their money and put in zero effort at growing themselves or the game. It shouldn’t be accepted like it is.

The trouble is there is no need for them to do anything else. Artificial measures like the salary cap just contribute to this and allow clubs to do the bare minimum.

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You can try all you want  to shut us down but I'm tellin ya we are going to be back once all of this Covid stuff is over!

I’m not trying to shut anything down. I’m just bored already of the Toronto-Leigh spat this has inevitably turned into from the same handful of people and can foresee, like many Toronto threads in time gone by, this being locked. 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nobody will be more surprised than me if Leigh don't surpass TWP's 0 - 6, in fact I will go as far to say Leigh may equal the season as I expect TWP would have finishing with a 0 - from all league games played, and Leigh don't possess a marketing phenomenon on the field to set up tries and make all the big hits😉

I know, and we agree I think in all likelihood that will happen. 

Watching it happen though, that's a different kettle of fish.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not trying to shut anything down. I’m just bored already of the Toronto-Leigh spat this has inevitably turned into and can foresee, like many Toronto threads in time gone by, this being locked. 

The first reference to Leigh was by Frank ( from NZ ) on page 2 , hardly a mention by anybody else , except non Leigh fans , blame them , not us 

Archived