Barcelona Dragons

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/01/2021 at 17:08, Eddie said:

So a few sly and negative comments to greet the new team, nice. 

Yeah, I was shocked as well, when everyone's normally always so positive about everything on here!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 16/01/2021 at 17:24, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Barcelona Dragons

Valencia Huracanes

Alicante Cruzados

Malaga Bandoleros

Madrid (Bears? Osos?)

Mallorca Goblins

Interesting set of teams.

Some long trips! Hopefully a few English clubs will take the opportunity to tour there like we did back in the day.

This is so impressive. More power to them. Congratulations on a great start, I hope you can continue to grow and improve at the same rate. I can hardly wait for more news. 

56 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Catalunya yes as League can offer a pathway to international game and close proximity to France means they can come up through their pyramid. Spain, not so much. ..

Catalunya is Spain and can be targeted as part of a Spain strategy, if that is deemed beneficial. It is stupid for RL to get involved in complex international issues which are none of its concern. We are certainly not big enough as a sport to meddle in that way and alienated people is not the way to go.

On 16/01/2021 at 22:46, Johnoco said:

Who cares if they are in SL or not? Sounds like a good away day regardless.

Too bloody right. I would love this as I did my Toronto experiences and numerous toulouse visits.

The more the merrier for me if its a good add to the comp..... and on the face of it, it feels that way....

Just what's needed after the demise of Toronto. 

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Too bloody right. I would love this as I did my Toronto experiences and numerous toulouse visits.

The more the merrier for me if its a good add to the comp..... and on the face of it, it feels that way....

Just what's needed after the demise of Toronto. 

A Mediterranean pub crawl of rugby league... sounds good to me

Just need a team from Corsica 

42 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Who is talking about getting involved in international situations?   Wales is part of the UK but they have a seperate team.  It's far more likely that Catalunya being offered a chance to play internationals will grow the game than thinking that expansion in the hole of Spain is going to happen.  

Plus it is more realistic that part timers can travel from Catalunya to the south of france than across Spain. 

If you don't think RL getting Catalunya to play internationals instead of Spain could be problematic for the growth of RL in Spain then we'll just agree to disagree and leave it there.

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Pretty sure I said you arent going to get League expanding into the whole of Spain anyway,  so yes if you are going to be unable to even read my initial response then yes,  let's leave it there. 

Well apart from the fact there are more clubs outside of Catalonia than in it. Let's just ignore that and write off all off all of Spain because we you say so. And yes I did read it the first time but just because you say so means diddly squat.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Madeira would be nice too, get the Funchal Wolf Spiders in League One. 

Have you been to Madeira , one football pitch half way up a mountain , usually cloaked in mist 

Any other pitch must be like Batley ,no wonder Cristiano is so bloody good at footy 

RLEF, in its early days, actually did allow Catalunya to play "international" matches and I think may have regretted it.  Apparently the people behind it were more politically-motivated rather than RL-motivated.

I remember reading a few years ago, someone from IRL or RLEF saying from now on they will only follow international protocol (UN perhaps?) and not stray from that.

Anyone who thinks this sort of thing is a good idea, in order to inflate our international numbers, I have to say, that is not a good idea, and not real growth.  For example, if there are 1000 RL players in Spain, and 20% of those are in Catalunya, if they become independent, then we have 800 and 200.  It's not like it multiplies our numbers suddenly.  You could use the same example with Qld/NSW, or anywhere that people say should play independently.  I also think it's best for international credibility to only have sovereign nations competing.

3 minutes ago, langpark said:

RLEF, in its early days, actually did allow Catalunya to play "international" matches and I think may have regretted it.  Apparently the people behind it were more politically-motivated rather than RL-motivated.

I remember reading a few years ago, someone from IRL or RLEF saying from now on they will only follow international protocol (UN perhaps?) and not stray from that.

Anyone who thinks this sort of thing is a good idea, in order to inflate our international numbers, I have to say, that is not a good idea, and not real growth.  For example, if there are 1000 RL players in Spain, and 20% of those are in Catalunya, if they become independent, then we have 800 and 200.  It's not like it multiplies our numbers suddenly.  You could use the same example with Qld/NSW, or anywhere that people say should play independently.  I also think it's best for international credibility to only have sovereign nations competing.

Indeed and those were some of the issues that I was thinking of.

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Have you been to Madeira , one football pitch half way up a mountain , usually cloaked in mist 

Any other pitch must be like Batley ,no wonder Cristiano is so bloody good at footy 

Ha ha yeah, great place but as I recall not a single square metre of flat ground. There are a few football grounds dotted about the island though, went to see Maritimo play Sporting Lisbon it was great. 

41 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

If I was Elon Musk I'd make a Exotic Super League... here are my clubs.

Monaco, Barcelona, Gibraltar, San Marino, Corsica, Madrid,Venice, Lisbon, Mykonos and Brixton.

Can you imagine Rugby League fans paying Monaco or Venice prices for an ale? 

Archived