Barcelona Dragons

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just got off the phone with Dean Buchan for an interview about España Rugby League.  He certainly has his head screwed on and I'm alot more confident this Spanish League is building for the long term. 

Is he the Euro XIII/Valencia man? Did you ask him about Euro XIII and whether Valencia actually have aspirations for League One (I’m sure it was mentioned)?

On 22/01/2021 at 15:26, ShropshireBull said:

Wales need to get out then.  It is a country or indeed principality,  as is Catalunya.  I dont think with Spain Union with a good chance of getting to the other codes Cup RL has a chance in the interior.  Plus half of Catalunya and País Vasco want fa to do with Spain.  So that's your two most affluent regions next to a rugby league playing country you can write off by saying we are only running under a Spanish Flag. 

The 4 nations of the UK have a far more accepting and liberal nature of their sporting differences and ability to compete internationally either jointly or separately than Spain. That's to say, the most dominant nation, England, has in most non Olympic sports retracted its authority over the others (and in Scotland never really had it anyway).

By contrast, try asking anyone in the comparatively far less liberal Madrid to financially or even legally support a sport that is actively backing a separatist movement in the nation! "What next, the ETA Broncos?" many would ask. Given RLs experience in so many countries (including the recent madness in Greece), annoying governments doesn't seem to be a popular move.

I say all this as someone with a yellow ribbon badge on my backpack in support of Catalan independence, RL needs to be tactful. Even the powerhouse of football waited for Kosovo to get international recognition before it played official games. That doesn't stop Catalans taking a game or two to Barcelona and singing the Catalan anthem before games.

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You dont need to tell me.  I live in Madrid and lived in Catalunya for 2017 election and ref. But I try not to be negative on here.  For now,  just optimistic having spoke with Dean. 

Hi @ShropshireBull . You’re obviously involved with RL in Spain? Do you feel that the game is growing over there, ie are you getting more players each year, and do you have any junior set ups? Thanks

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You dont need to tell me.  I live in Madrid and lived in Catalunya for 2017 election and ref. But I try not to be negative on here.  For now,  just optimistic having spoke with Dean. 

Evidently given you keep saying RL should have a Catalan national team (before they are independent of Spain) you need some reminding!

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just got off the phone with Dean Buchan for an interview about España Rugby League.  He certainly has his head screwed on and I'm alot more confident this Spanish League is building for the long term. 

Did you let him know he was wasting his time trying to expand in all of Spain and to kick out those clubs that aren't in Catalonia?

Another interesting development from the Spanish Rugby League:

In a move believed to be a first for the sport, the governing body of Spain - the Asociación Española de Rugby League – has become co-owners of Bath RL, who play in the West of England competition.

Dean Buchan, president of España Rugby League, commented: “We're excited to be joining Bath and to begin this new chapter. Over the last few years they have created a solid foundation that will allow us to support them as we aim to take the club forward together.

“España Rugby League has been looking to invest in a community club as part of our player development pathway since last summer, and we chose Bath Rugby League due to the work Chris Chatten has already done and his realistic vision and ambitions for the club. Our support will see the sport thrive in the city and surrounding area in the years to come.”

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/1887/espana-rugby-league-become-co-owners-of-bath-club

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Another interesting development from the Spanish Rugby League:

In a move believed to be a first for the sport, the governing body of Spain - the Asociación Española de Rugby League – has become co-owners of Bath RL, who play in the West of England competition.

Dean Buchan, president of España Rugby League, commented: “We're excited to be joining Bath and to begin this new chapter. Over the last few years they have created a solid foundation that will allow us to support them as we aim to take the club forward together.

“España Rugby League has been looking to invest in a community club as part of our player development pathway since last summer, and we chose Bath Rugby League due to the work Chris Chatten has already done and his realistic vision and ambitions for the club. Our support will see the sport thrive in the city and surrounding area in the years to come.”

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/1887/espana-rugby-league-become-co-owners-of-bath-club

Interesting is the word. Why Bath, and are they hoping to send Spanish players over to play for them. Regardless of what the plan is, I hope it benefits both sides. 

Got to be a team in Ibiza next, based on the above logic? You have the Majorca beach rugby tournament each year, get this on to a formal circuit of the Spanish Islands, (possibly Malta too) including Canaries with an event in London Southbank in the summer sanctioned by the IRL and we could start developing the game that way   https://www.majorcabeachrugby.co.uk/

Archived