NRL “Expansion” delayed

Davo5

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reasoning doesn't even make sense. Yes a 17th team may give no more matches but its a step towards an 18th team that would. Brisbane 2 as the 17th team should also be of appeal to broadcasters anyhow. Unless they are going to admit 2 teams then that excuse is always going to be there. 

No names or decision making bodies are quoted so at the moment this is possibly just speculation.

Going to 17 teams is a 6.25% reduction in funding per club, not exactly "slashed" as the article states.

The NRL could always "do a Super League" and bring them in with reduced or zero funding.....

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

It is just a rehash of the original story which included no quotes or statements.

Only a month ago there were rumours that it was going to announced this June to start in '23 with Wayne Bennett in charge. I wouldn't believe that too much has changed in a month given most key decision makers would have been off work over Xmas New year period. 

The $30m AUD reduction that Ch 9 received for Financial Year 2020 combined with the $27.5m decrease for each of FY21 and FY22  combined with a significant reduction for Foxtel in FY20 may have a little to do with any postponement 

It had been reported at the time that V`landy`s haste to lock in an extended deal with Foxtel in May until 2027 at a reduced amount may have been his first blunder. There was talk that he panicked.

Although nothing has been confirmed it was speculated that the Foxtel deal with the afl, which was finalised in December, was worth $150m more per year than the NRL`s for FY22 and FY23.To be fair this included the digital rights which I believe were previously valued at $50m/yr.

The NRL has withheld the digital rights from Foxtel in this extended deal, who had previously been on-selling them to Telstra for $20m/annum.

As an aside, given this was all occurring around the same time that Andrew Abdo had been rumoured to have been communicating with Robert Elstone and the RFL and their subsequent decision to withhold the digital rights from their broadcast deal for the CC with the BBC it makes you wonder if something may be brewing on that front.

5 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I don’t know what would be worse having a Brisbane version of manly as the 17th NRL franchise or not having anything at all?

Brisbane is the second major RL city in the world, there’s no reason for them not to have a second professional club. 

29 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

V'landy's comments on both the 2023 17th club speculation and the revised Fox deal:

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/complete-######-v-landys-comes-out-firing-on-first-day-back-at-work-20210118-p56v13.html

He doesn't sit on the fence and get splinters in his backside that's for sure.

Kudos to the man

27 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

V'landy's comments on both the 2023 17th club speculation and the revised Fox deal:

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/complete-######-v-landys-comes-out-firing-on-first-day-back-at-work-20210118-p56v13.html

Just going to post the same article.  V’landys stating a new club is not out of the running but that the numbers have to stack up (I take that as viability commercially and operationally).  If that ‘due diligence’ proves negative then it is absolutely every reason not to progress.

I struggle to see what the love in for V'Landys is all about. The biggest difference as far as I can see is that he has a lot of friends in the media who give him an easy ride compared to some of his predecessors. I am certain that some of the things V'Landy's gets lauded for that Greenberg or Smith would have been slated.

Just now, Damien said:

I struggle to see what the love in for V'Landys is all about. The biggest difference as far as I can see is that he has a lot of friends in the media who give him an easy ride compared to some of his predecessors. I am certain that some of the things V'Landy's gets lauded for that Greenberg or Smith would have been slated.

If I'm reading it right, he's just overseen a massive reduction in TV money and is now putting fairly significant obstacles in the way of any new teams.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

If Greenberg would have overseen the reduction in the TV deal, Covid or not, he’d have been slated by all and sundry. V’landys doesn’t get that treatment. 

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

You ` struggle to see what the love for V`landy`s is..` given the directionless incompetence that is driving the game in your part of the world into oblivion, that`s priceless. Rugby League southern hemisphere has got a leader who played the game, is passionate about it, made it clear he will fight for it, who`s got a plan and is implementing it. You should try it.

Greenberg was soft and used to brag about ringing the afl boss every week to discuss the pros and cons of running a large sporting organisation while trotting out the line ` there`s room enough for both of us`, meanwhile the afl were spending 10`s of millions trying to win League kids and fans over. V`landy`s has declared war, is rallying League fans out of their complacency and has made it very clear this is a battle for our future, or alternatively we could take a great and popular product, do nothing and end up being like somewhere else we all know. Brilliant.

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

You ` struggle to see what the love for V`landy`s is..` given the directionless incompetence that is driving the game in your part of the world into oblivion, that`s priceless. Rugby League southern hemisphere has got a leader who played the game, is passionate about it, made it clear he will fight for it, who`s got a plan and is implementing it. You should try it.

Greenberg was soft and used to brag about ringing the afl boss every week to discuss the pros and cons of running a large sporting organisation while trotting out the line ` there`s room enough for both of us`, meanwhile the afl were spending 10`s of millions trying to win League kids and fans over. V`landy`s has declared war, is rallying League fans out of their complacency and has made it very clear this is a battle for our future, or alternatively we could take a great and popular product, do nothing and end up being like somewhere else we all know. Brilliant.

Your post is quite frankly ridiculous. The first paragraph is irrelevant. The administration in the UK is nothing to do with V'landys or my post. If your defence of him is because the administration in the UK is bad then that is pathetic. There are plenty of other threads to slate the administration of the game in the UK and I am happy to discuss how the game in the UK is run on them.

Your second paragraph is a lot of unquantifiable, meaningless, opinionated waffle. Again typical of the love in I spoke about without any foundation.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Your post is quite frankly ridiculous. The first paragraph is irrelevant. The administration in the UK is nothing to do with V'landys or my post. If your defence of him is because the administration in the UK is bad then that is pathetic. There are plenty of other threads to slate the administration of the game in the UK and I am happy to discuss how the game in the UK is run on them.

Your second paragraph is a lot of unquantifiable, meaningless, opinionated waffle. Again typical of the love in I spoke about without any foundation.

It's okay. We now know what his strengths are.

As long as he loses money and blocks expansion *whilst shouting about how great the NRL is* then it is absolutely fine and he's our kind of guy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Peter V'landys is a News Ltd man.

If you look at the way the Murdoch press have treated RL leaders in Australia since Gallop was punted out, it is clear to see that.

Dave Smith, Todd Greenberg and John Grant were steering the game in a direction that threatened Murdoch's interests thus they were driven out mercilessly by constant media pressure. V'landys comes to power a quick deal (thanks to Covid) to extend the TV deal and save Murdoch's Foxtel is signed until 2027, suddenly we have media fawning all over him calling him Saint Pete.

It's standard Murdoch tactics, instead of sports administrators, compare it to the people in politics who threaten his interests and how they are treated by his media.

Dave Smith had the potential to be a great leader for the NRL.

2 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Peter V'landys is a News Ltd man.

If you look at the way the Murdoch press have treated RL leaders in Australia since Gallop got the punted out, it is clear to see that.

Dave Smith, Todd Greenberg and John Grant were steering the game in a direction that threatened Murdoch's interests thus they were driven out mercilessly by constant media pressure. V'landys comes to power a quick deal to extend the TV deal and save Murdoch's Foxtel is signed until 2027, suddenly we have media fawning all over him calling him Saint Pete.

It's standard Murdoch tactics, instead of sports administrators threatening his interests compare it to the people in politics who threaten his interests and how they are treated by his media.

Dave Smith had the potential to be a great leader for the NRL.

V`landy`s is certainly close to the News Corp media and the Murdochs, but you only have to look at the coverage that League gets in the Daily Telegraph and especially compared to the other two codes to see that it is ridiculously one-sided, I`d go as far as saying nearly 90% League news. Starving the afl and union out of the pages of NSW`s main daily tabloid is crippling to those other two codes. You`ve also got to remember he has run a nice little duopoly with NSW Racing and the Tele for years that has worked very nicely for both parties. Who on earth could ever have believed that NSW Racing would create a race, i.e. The Everest, to compete with the Melbourne`s Caulfield Cup, to the point where V`landy`s said to Vic. Racing that they might want to think about moving the timing of that 140 year old race. Say no more about V`landy`s competitiveness and ruthlessness.

One other thing that is very important to note before we make accusations of him being in Murdoch`s pocket is that in the recent extension with Foxtel he held back the digital rights, most people seem to think this is where the real future value of broadcast rights lie. Not so totally subservient after all.

I agree that he is close to the Murdoch`s, especially Lachlan, apparently now the one most likely to succeed Rupert, but please don`t underestimate where ultimately his priorities will lie. Really smart operators know where the power lies and they work with it, that is absolutely essential, that`s how you get ahead. But where it comes to the competition, this blokes a goer and he takes no prisoners.

If the economic situation in Australia was not so difficult, because of Covid, we might be able to think of two new NRL teams, which would make more sense in terms of upgrading the value of the TV contracts, by giving one extra game each week to sell. Obviously, the one extra team plan does not increase the number of games each week. If we can achieve a better economy in Australia in the next three or four years, then it may become possible to get an 18 th team in time for the next TV contract, and thus boost that TV contract sufficiently to not cut into each existing club’s existing grant.

An 18th NRL team would have to be in Perth. But it should not be the end of expansion . New Zealand is crying out for a second club, probably in Wellington. And Adelaide, which has been the site for many NRL club games “on the road,” could be a viable 20th NRL club, thereby completing the truly national identity that the AFL achieved long ago, and which the NRL is now glaringly lacking.

The main obstacle to all these expansion plans other than the economic situation, is the availability of sufficient player numbers to fill these teams. It serves no good purpose to destroy Super League by having the NRL poaching all SL’s best players to enable NRL expansion. So hopefully grass roots expansion in Australia and New Zealand, as well as in Papua-New Guinea and Fiji, will provide the players needed for all future NRL expansion.

On 17/01/2021 at 10:14, Damien said:

Yes a 17th team may give no more matches but its a step towards an 18th team that would. 

Just run that by me again .....

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived