NRL “Expansion” delayed

Davo5

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand.

If we're talking per team, I agree.  They'll play 24 games apiece.  Almost certainly.  That'll be true whether they have 17, 18 or a hundred teams in the NRL.

If we're talking per year, 17 teams playing 12 home games is 12 more than 16 teams playing 12 home games.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

No, but there'll be more weeks.

Unlikely as each team don't play eachother twice anyway and already have bye rounds to decrease the number of weeks played.

The major argument in favour of Brisbane 2 is that it will guarantee a Friday night fixture at Suncorp every week, much like how a second French Super League team would guarantee 1 game in France every round. 

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Unlikely as each team don't play each other twice anyway and already have bye rounds to decrease the number of weeks played.

Unlikely ?   It's a mathematical certainty.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

If we're talking per team, I agree.  They'll play 24 games apiece.  Almost certainly.  That'll be true whether they have 17, 18 or a hundred teams in the NRL.

If we're talking per year, 17 teams playing 12 home games is 12 more than 16 teams playing 12 home games.

You are presuming they will extend the season.

Its also a pretty mute point when it comes to the value to the TV deal, which the discussion and point was about. Without extra weekly games it adds nothing. Brisbane2 may add some value as the 17th team regardless but I doubt anyone else will.

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

You are presuming they will extend the season.

Not at all.

They could decide to play 11 home games apiece, though I think that unlikely.

V’landys is a leaguie, through and through, who steam rollered the state governors to get TGG on the field in a very dark hour for our game. I can’t comment on the value of the TV deal, as I lack all the relevant details (eg what cuts the TV companies could require if the games weren’t shown). He got league on our screens, and we were able to watch it over here, and that was pretty much the only thing I had to look forward to for months last year. I can’t see how anyone who follows our game can dismiss him out of hand. And I agree with the sentiments from our friends down under who might question how seriously to take followers of the sport which has concluded that Leigh for Toronto is great news. 

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Firehawks my pick.

Me too, followed by Dolphins if they embrace and incorporate the Brisbane name and identity.

Bombers would have more support if they hadn't used an already well known name. 

5 hours ago, Omott91 said:

They all look pretty solid, I wonder after they let one in how long we`ll have to wait for the next. Damn shame to turn away teams that are cashed up and ready to go.

Surely if these teams are going to result in more Queensland derby`s and games against Queensland teams the TV companies would be on board for this. Fiji Silktails, Pacific Trieze, PNG Hunters and the extra push in to NZ, you wouldn`t think that players will be a problem.

And the beauty of these teams is that unlike NSW all the teams aren`t  basically based out of Brisbane.

I hope they let one in and start making plans for another straight away, if not more.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

Just look at my post immediately above yours. It explains everything.

Other than why Damien thinks that 204 matches is the same as 192.  Still, it's a minor point....

On a lighter note, I do recall a roomful of folk saying you couldn't do a fixture formula for 19 clubs because 19 only divided by 1 and 19 and the only option was to play 36 games. Weren't they surprised when I produced a formula during the debate !

Just now, Griff said:

Other than why Damien thinks that 204 matches is the same as 192.  Still, it's a minor point....

On a lighter note, I do recall a roomful of folk saying you couldn't do a fixture formula for 19 clubs because 19 only divided by 1 and 19 and the only option was to play 36 games. Weren't they surprised when I produced a formula during the debate !

When it is was obvious that you didn't understand the point and didn't read the article, instead trying to be clever and jumping in with both feet, then I'd refrain from making sarcastic comments.

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

Last post before the laptop conks out altogether

Any talk of a new NRL standard stadium in Brisbane anytime soon is a pipedream, i.e. any new club is going to have to use Suncorp for the foreseeable future. Also the Firehawks are Easts. In other words the Firehawks aren't partnered with Easts, they are East's NRL bid.

The Dolphins don't claim to have $100mil in the bank, they claim to have $100mil in assets, and there's a big difference between $100mil in the bank and $100mil in assets. Just because you have assets doesn't mean you are willing to risk them, or the profits, on a failing football business. 

It's also not really that impressive that a rich well run leagues club has been able to build those sorts of assets. In other words the "$100mil in assets" line is a good bit of spin that sounds impressive but isn't really a big deal when compared to other similar leagues clubs.

Given some time to build a team any of the Brisbane bids could pretty much start tomorrow. So again, the Dolphins saying they are ready to go isn't actually all that impressive, it just sounds good if you don't know any better.

He also says Redcliffe has the history, the success, their own ground, and a leagues club, and putting aside the facts that both Easts and Ipswich have their own history, success, and leagues clubs, and Easts owns Langlands park, so again none of that is that impressive, that's all true. However he neglects to mention that Redcliffe are also the smallest, most isolated, and insular club of the three, and that as such they have a small fan base (tiny by NRL standards) and the least broad appeal across the city.

In other words they are basically Brisbane's answer to Manly, and you'd be absolutely mad to give them a license before larger parts of Brisbane with broader appeal get a license. It would literally be choosing to allow a team with maybe 15-18k fans into the comp instead of one with 20-25k.

Anyway, it was pretty fun hearing the opinions of a Pom on NRL expansion.

BTW, his history of the Reds and Rams, and sport in Perth and Adelaide in general, lacks the context of the times, which gives a very warped history of the events. That context of 25 years ago isn't applicable to current times anyway so it's totally irrelevant to any current bids.

The CC Bears bid was (as it folded) a fantasy held onto by old men swimming in misplaced nostalgia whom are incapable of moving on with the times. If they ever get an NRL license over large metro markets like Bris, Perth, ADL, or cities in NZ, I'll give up hope on the NRL's future as a commercial product. And that's coming from an old Bears fan.

On 25/01/2021 at 17:51, Exiled Wiganer said:

V’landys is a leaguie, through and through, who steam rollered the state governors to get TGG on the field in a very dark hour for our game. I can’t comment on the value of the TV deal, as I lack all the relevant details (eg what cuts the TV companies could require if the games weren’t shown). He got league on our screens, and we were able to watch it over here, and that was pretty much the only thing I had to look forward to for months last year. I can’t see how anyone who follows our game can dismiss him out of hand. And I agree with the sentiments from our friends down under who might question how seriously to take followers of the sport which has concluded that Leigh for Toronto is great news. 

It isn't Leigh for Toronto 

Toronto are gone , caput , dissapeared , no longer in existence 

Leigh were picked to make an 11 team comp into a 12 ( personally I believe they should have stuck with 11 , but that would have meant Magic was not happening ) 

As regards our southern hemisphere friends , they should stick to their own issues , just as we should stick to ours , we don't fully understand their problems just as they don't ours 

7 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I'd be happy to see any expansion to the league and once Brisbane 2 is out the way it paves the way for true geographical expansion with the likes of Perth. A huge blocker is gone as there aren't any more areas in Queensland or NSW that make sense and particularly in NSW, which is well catered for, existing teams can move if there is the need or desire.

34 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It isn't Leigh for Toronto 

Toronto are gone , caput , dissapeared , no longer in existence 

Leigh were picked to make an 11 team comp into a 12 ( personally I believe they should have stuck with 11 , but that would have meant Magic was not happening ) 

As regards our southern hemisphere friends , they should stick to their own issues , just as we should stick to ours , we don't fully understand their problems just as they don't ours 

Yes, it is. It is Leigh for Toronto and that was greeted as great news by many. 

Archived