Best Markets in the North of England

On 18/01/2021 at 21:14, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I see your rubbish Wigan Indoor Market and raise you Trinity Market in Hull, an indoor market that sells only empty shops. 

Seems like a bit of a daft question at the moment but when did you last go? It's improved massively since that hideous bar Rumours moved out. Pre-lockdown it had become a really good place to go and have something to eat and have a beer or coffee. Some great quality food and drink available too.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 18/01/2021 at 21:25, Old Frightful said:

I think they have a market in the car park at Hull KR's ground every week or so but I think it's mostly cheap tat.

Still, it seems to be fairly productive as regards the Robins' first team signings.

For some reason, the legendary film about the Paris-Roubaix bike race springs to mind.

51OkgUyZIKL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

Seems like a bit of a daft question at the moment but when did you last go? It's improved massively since that hideous bar Rumours moved out. Pre-lockdown it had become a really good place to go and have something to eat and have a beer or coffee. Some great quality food and drink available too.

Yeah, to be fair I don't go in much these days, must have been a few years since I've gone in there.

6 minutes ago, Nearenough said:

can i give a mention of dewsbury market, everything u could ever want in there, and some brilliant food.

maybe 20 - 30 years ago but not now 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

20 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah, to be fair I don't go in much these days, must have been a few years since I've gone in there.

In that case I think the only bit you'd recognise is the fruit and veg stand and the butcher's at the Trinity House Lane entrance. It's gone from a place that was dying on its backside to one that's regularly packed out (pandemics notwithstanding of course).

On 22/01/2021 at 18:16, Robin Evans said:

Anybody been to Ludlow Market?

Yes, but not for decades!

Ludlow has a fine wide street called Broad Street, which used to boast a health food shop called Broad Bean.  In Oban, on Scotland's west coast, I once saw a health food shop called Oban Sesame!

On 22/01/2021 at 18:16, Robin Evans said:

Anybody been to Ludlow Market?

Yes, though if I'm honest I can't remember much about the market. Nice town to visit though. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

7 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Its on my must visit list as soon as this sheeite is gaffered enough so that we can travel

If possible, RE, allow time to explore more of Shropshire too.  Shrewsbury is delightful and there is great walking around Church Stretton and the Long Mynd. 

The Clun valley is not to be missed - "Clunton and Clunbury, Clungunford and Clun, the quietest places under the sun" as AE Housman put it, though I guess it has changed a bit since his time. 

I also enjoyed the west of the county, with small towns and villages like Bishop's Castle.

All that said, sadly, it is a long time since I got to many of these places.

1 minute ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Silver jubilee year, Stockport was just up the train tracks from where we were living then. I remember being dragged around Stockport market and shops. 

Get any shoes from Bert?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Get any shoes from Bert?

I wore what me mum clothed me in. I didn't get a say in them days. We were always taken to Clarks for shoe fittings , it was something me mum and aunts all did with the kids. But I do remember finding a £1 note stuffed between some crates at the front of a stall. I was so made up that every time we went to the department shops in the city I'd embarass me mum by kneeling on the shop floors looking under the counters for coins 

Archived