RL and Wikipedia

Eddie

Wikipedia information about RL in England below the NCL is woeful, in many cases info about leagues hasn’t been updated for 10 years and it’s hard to find out what’s going on. Far be it from me to tell the RFL what to do, but I don’t think it would take much for someone there to update it and make the game look a bit less tin pot. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wikipedia information about RL in England below the NCL is woeful, in many cases info about leagues hasn’t been updated for 10 years and it’s hard to find out what’s going on. Far be it from me to tell the RFL what to do, but I don’t think it would take much for someone there to update it and make the game look a bit less tin pot. 

If you've got time on your hands then you could do it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Eddie said:

Weirdly I couldn’t, because I don’t have the information, but the RFL do. If they sent it to me I would. 

Drop them an email. Let us know how you get on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think The RFL have bigger fish to fry amidst a global pandemic in a year that they’re trying to organise various competitions whilst also helping their professional member clubs survive than setting up a Wikipedia page for the Yorkshire Men’s League Division Four results from 1997. 

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think The RFL have bigger fish to fry amidst a global pandemic in a year that they’re trying to organise various competitions whilst also helping their professional member clubs survive than setting up a Wikipedia page for the Yorkshire Men’s League Division Four results from 1997. 

Not what I saying Wiggy, as you well know. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Have done. 

Good luck with it. I suspect they will bite your hand off if you can give the time to make a difference.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Anyone can update Wikipedia. Anyone. Perhaps you could have go to make it a bit less woeful and tin-pot ? You might be best placed? 

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

Anyone can update Wikipedia. Anyone. Perhaps you could have go to make it a bit less woeful and tin-pot ? You might be best placed? 

Do you really not understand this? I need the info (which the RFL don’t make available online) to do that. Even the 11th tier of football for example, is all readily available online, going back years. 

RL info on Wikipedia is patchy and presentation is all over the place.  That's not having a dig at the people contributing info - its just that there's so much to do because RL as a sport has generally not valued its history (at least in terms of facts and figures) as much as other sports. 

Whilst some clubs have decent online records/heritage sites, others are awful.  Never mind lower league clubs, Leeds don't even have full SL match records on line (they used to but pulled it for some reason), and nothing at all pre-1996.  They have at least put Ken Dalby's marvellous season reviews online (covering 1895-96 to 1978-79) and added more recent ones, but as for facts and figures - zilch. 

The Rugby League Record Keepers Club is currently working to systematically digitise records for all pro games from 1895 onwards. Once that's done (which is an enormous undertaking) it should be possible to find all the facts and figures you want. There's a website (www.rugbyleaguerecords.com) and there's a forum on here as well which anyone can contribute to.  I'd recommend anyone interested join up. 

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you really not understand this? I need the info (which the RFL don’t make available online) to do that. Even the 11th tier of football for example, is all readily available online, going back years. 

Sorry I hadn't read the posts below where people had asked the same question, and youd said as much. 

Honest mistake.

8 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

RL info on Wikipedia is patchy and presentation is all over the place.  That's not having a dig at the people contributing info - its just that there's so much to do because RL as a sport has generally not valued its history (at least in terms of facts and figures) as much as other sports. 

Whilst some clubs have decent online records/heritage sites, others are awful.  Never mind lower league clubs, Leeds don't even have full SL match records on line (they used to but pulled it for some reason), and nothing at all pre-1996.  They have at least put Ken Dalby's marvellous season reviews online (covering 1895-96 to 1978-79) and added more recent ones, but as for facts and figures - zilch. 

The Rugby League Record Keepers Club is currently working to systematically digitise records for all pro games from 1895 onwards. Once that's done (which is an enormous undertaking) it should be possible to find all the facts and figures you want. There's a website (www.rugbyleaguerecords.com) and there's a forum on here as well which anyone can contribute to.  I'd recommend anyone interested join up. 

This is a fair point.  Wiki is an open system and anybody can use it.  Even if all the info was neatly put in, someone else could go in and change it.

I'd have thought something like the Record Keepers would be the best place to safely store it.  Someone should give them a grant... and some marketing push.

16 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Fair enough, but surely Division 3 should be on!

It's easy and no one has to wait for the RFL, SL, NRL, NCL etc. YOU can do it.

Go on Wikipedia, open an account, look at  Wikipedia: WikiProject Rugby league. look at  participants list and you'll see who is contributing content: mainly but not entirely antipodeans.

The essence of Wikipedia is the harnessing of the collective intelligence and collaborative efforts of editors who hold opposing points of view, in an attempt to preserve all serious contributions which are reliably sourced. The aim is the progressive building of more and better neutral point of view (NPOV) encyclopedic content.

IMHO, no-one should be using Wikipedia as a source for stats or the history of competitions, clubs, etc.  I think it's unrealistic to ever expect it will have the accuracy you would want for a minority sport like rugby league.

One of the key drivers behind my motivation to re-start the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club was to create a reliable source that was freely available online to the public, and accessible to anyone seeking out information on the game.  Within the next month we will be releasing data relating to all club games in the UK from the summer era (approximately 14,000 in total) - initially this will be for members only, to test the format, etc.

I would encourage anyone with an interest in supporting our aims to join us - please send me a DM, or contact me on neil.ormston@gmail.com, for further details on how to join.

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

4 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

I'd actually see Wiki pages as a chance to push people interested to the RKC rather than a complete source of information.  Its the first point of call for most people seeking quick facts so I wouldn't dismiss it completely.

That's fair. I often check Wikipedia for superficial information and then, if I'm interested, use links from there or google for the fuller details.

On 20/01/2021 at 12:04, Neil_Ormston said:

IMHO, no-one should be using Wikipedia as a source for stats or the history of competitions, clubs, etc.  I think it's unrealistic to ever expect it will have the accuracy you would want for a minority sport like rugby league.

One of the key drivers behind my motivation to re-start the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club was to create a reliable source that was freely available online to the public, and accessible to anyone seeking out information on the game.  Within the next month we will be releasing data relating to all club games in the UK from the summer era (approximately 14,000 in total) - initially this will be for members only, to test the format, etc.

I would encourage anyone with an interest in supporting our aims to join us - please send me a DM, or contact me on neil.ormston@gmail.com, for further details on how to join.

I can’t agree with this at all. Wikipedia is the go to place for information. Yes some of the details will be incorrect as it can be updated by anyone, but it’s far more accessible to the masses than Rugby League Record Keepers. Both should exist, but Wikipedia is going to get far more hits, even though it is going to be less accurate. I’d like to see Wikipedia updated, and before anyone says do it yourself that’s only possible if you have the info.

Archived