Ogden commits future to the Broncos

Broncos News

For most London Broncos fans Sunday 1st March 2020 seems like a lifetime ago, our last competitive Home fixture, a defeat to Featherstone Rovers, and a 73rd minute try from home grown product Jacob Ogden proving to be one of only a few highlights that day.

For Jacob is was his 4th appearance of the season and a regular run in the side which he was enjoying, having worked hard to try and establish himself in the First Team for the Championship promotion push that never happened.

“I was really gutted when the season came to a halt so quickly in March.” Ogden said. “I had played in 4 out of the first 5 games and was enjoying my rugby and training well. I was expecting to have played more games in 2020 so the cancelled season came at a really bad time for me.”

PMI_London_Broncos_v_Whitehaven_090220_1

Having come through the Broncos Academy set up with other current first team players such as James Meadows, Dan Hindmarsh and Gideon Boafo the Jamaican International knows many of the current squad well and believes there is a good mix of young players and experienced professionals fighting for places in Danny Ward’s starting 13 for 2021.

Ogden knows 2 of those players better than most, sharing a house with Sam Davis and Ollie Leyland, and he has been grateful for the company during the difficult 10 months since the season ended. He said “I’ve known Sam since I was 15 and it’s good fun living with him and Ollie. We keep each other going and try to stay positive which has been hard without training to go to.” Ogden added “I’ve been doing a lot of running and some home workouts but really missed training with the boys and coaching staff.”

PMI_London_Broncos_v_Featherstone_010320

During the summer Jacob answered a call from John Keyes to assist with the creating of a garden for the children of Woodlands Academy and spent some time there removing bushes and trying to help create a nice space for the kids. As well as this Jacob is studying for a degree in Strength and Conditioning and much of this has been done at home due to the closure of Universities.

The hard work and promise shown by the former Midlands Junior Academy player was rewarded with a new contract towards the end of 2020 and Ogden was thrilled to be staying with the Broncos saying “I was really happy to sign another deal with the club. I know so many of the lads here and I’m really enjoying my time with the London Broncos so can hopefully kick on and have a good season whenever that will start.”

Club CEO Jason Loubser also holds out high hopes for Jacob in 2021 saying “Our production line of talent is the future of the club and along with many of the other young homegrown players in our squad Jacob has the chance now to grasp a chance to make a starting place his own and impress Danny in Pre-Season.”

View the full article

Archived