coach companies - then and now - memories

for me from the 80s if you were a leeds fan or not the sight of dozens of WALLACE ARNOLD coaches (other coach companies were available) pulling in to town is an iconic memory - once on a trip to wembley  early 90s i think ( cant remember the coach company) the driver did the head count wrong on purpose cos he was sick of waiting for the idiot who had been a pain in the proverbial and left him at the services near northampton - you would get sent to hell for that now - something great about a good old coach trip to and from a game 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Stanley Gath was the 'go to' coach company for Dewsbury players and fans for away games in the 1980s and 90s. My earliest memory was forgetting I'd bought an Aero at Dewsbury bus station before a trip to Barrow, then arriving at Craven Park hours later and realising I'd sat on it and it had melted and leaked out. Lovely.

20 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Stanley Gath was the 'go to' coach company for Dewsbury players and fans for away games in the 1980s and 90s. My earliest memory was forgetting I'd bought an Aero at Dewsbury bus station before a trip to Barrow, then arriving at Craven Park hours later and realising I'd sat on it and it had melted and leaked out. Lovely.

There was also a Stanley Gath coach load of home fans who came to the Wakefield games right into the 70s who I presume were from that way out. Dewsbury or Ossett.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

This is one that always brings back fond memories 

A2471C5D-C2E1-4280-9970-D449F51B81DE.jpeg

You've not ridden a Beaver for a while then?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I got left behind after a Saints v Leeds Grand Final. The coaches were chaotic and people would get left every year. I ended up ringing my cousin who’d got a train into Manchester for the game, met him and his mates and went out with them. I didn’t get home till 5am, failed to turn up to my part-time job on the Sunday and got a written warning for it. 

Funny to see the mention of Stanley Gath. Never had reason to use them given their location, but I do remember them being drafted in for when Bolton at Cardiff in the early 2000s (either the play off final against Preston in 2001 or the Carling Cup against Middlesbrough in 2004, can't remember which) and it being a particularly tense moment as folk waiting to see if they'd be the ones hoping to make it all the way to the game without the coach breaking down, once the drawbridge had been lowered of course.

Turned up early one Sunday morning at Ellen Smith Coaches in Rochdale. Hornets had a Lancashire Cup game up at Workington. It was early 80's, the Nets were going through a rough period and only 11 punters bought coach tickets. The driver announced he wasn't going because they'd lose money on the trek. The lady in the office came out and told him to start the coach, she informed him "this lot turn out for every away game rain or shine so we're not going to let them down now".

Unbelievably Hornets won 11-0, came back down the M6 in disbelief 😄🏆

16 hours ago, DoubleD said:

This is one that always brings back fond memories 

A2471C5D-C2E1-4280-9970-D449F51B81DE.jpeg

Don’t know where you are located, but this bus has never operated in any RL area, unless you count Leicester (final home of this vehicle) as being part of the RL family. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I got left behind after a Saints v Leeds Grand Final. The coaches were chaotic and people would get left every year. I ended up ringing my cousin who’d got a train into Manchester for the game, met him and his mates and went out with them. I didn’t get home till 5am, failed to turn up to my part-time job on the Sunday and got a written warning for it. 

You are Sean Long and I claim my £5.

20 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

for me from the 80s if you were a leeds fan or not the sight of dozens of WALLACE ARNOLD coaches (other coach companies were available) pulling in to town is an iconic memory - once on a trip to wembley  early 90s i think ( cant remember the coach company) the driver did the head count wrong on purpose cos he was sick of waiting for the idiot who had been a pain in the proverbial and left him at the services near northampton - you would get sent to hell for that now - something great about a good old coach trip to and from a game 

Wally's Trollies, they were affectionately known as...

Coventry Bears for a couple of seasons used a company that had a one legged driver. Fortunately for him they had one vehicle that was an automatic

Every time we drove into a motorway service station he would scrape the bus down the side of the pavement whilst moaning that the gap for buses was not big enough. It happened no matter which motorway service station we used. It seems the planner for that ( and every other ) service station was a tawt.

He always seemed to get the bus stuck into the hedge at Hemels Penine Way ground too.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

some of the mini buses without a loo didnt seem to be the ideal transport for 16 rl fans and 8 crates of hoffmeister

A funnel and a piece of plastic tube used to stop any ###### stops being needed. 

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

A funnel and a piece of plastic tube used to stop any ###### stops being needed. 

and tasted better than the hoffmeister 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Once on a Wembley trip we spent too long in the pub and left it late getting to the stadium. On the walk to the tube station we saw a coach got on and said to the driver Wembley mate. He then asked was that all of us so off we went we even got him to stop for cans on the way. Just got to the point were we could see the twin towers when he must’ve got a call on the radio and started to head back. Fair enough to the lads who’s coach it was when we got back they called us cheeky bastards but they did let us stay on. 

Back in the 70's I used to travel on "Yates Tours" coaches to matches.

Invariably the driver had no idea where he was going but the most amusing was at Hull for the 2nd round challenge cup tie in 1975.

Which ever way we turned there was a Widnes coach going in the opposite direction.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Back in the 80s when 'Fax were riding high I went on the coach to St Helens when the car was playing up, they used the local bus company, Yorkshire Rider?, Who provided double deckers often. Crawling in the traffic away from the ground I don't think the couple in their bedroom were expecting a double decker bus to come to a halt outside their house or they might have pulled the curtains on! It got a bigger reaction than anything in the match had.

We had a coach without a toilet for another Saints v Leeds Grand Final, I think we stopped twice en route. Someone also broke the unwritten rule about coach toilet etiquette on the way to Bridgend to watch Saints play Celtic Crusaders. The person in question got dogs abuse for the whole day and was then banned from using the toilet with the door closed. 

one of ellen smiths coachs in these lot, came in handy for a lot more miles once transport companys had done with them. we had a few old coachs over the 8 years racing and were classed a camper so you could drive them on a normal licence so long as they had a cooker and beds in.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj1rvCQyqvuAhX2ShUIHdLXD-cQFjACegQIARAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fyellowaymobilemuseum.co.uk%2FVehicles%20Converted%20To%20Stockcar%20transporters%20P2.htm&usg=AOvVaw1ZYJyfGamLDhoWDWpkEaKR

Archived