Folau set to depart the Dragons ?

Davo5

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be a shame to lose him for his ability, because he’s a very good player still. However, if this report is true and I’ve seen it come from The Mole so I’d question its validity, if he’s going about leaving like this, it’s going to leave an understandable sour taste in the mouths at Catalans. 

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Is he not banned in RU?

Just from the national team, I think?

(And there was some settlement a while back so even that may not now be the case)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

That's just life, the Dragons made their own decision on taking this risk, they took the negative press and if he has now left, it is up to them to decide if it was worth it.

I don't think we should stress too much about this kind of thing overall though, sometimes these kinds of signings pay off sometimes they don't sometimes they are only for a year, sometimes long term. 

My personal belief is that this is one that can firmly be put in the 'not worth the effort' category, but last season was a really difficult one that probably hampered what they were hoping his impact would be.

Just wondering if his defence in any court case will be that it was 'an act of god' ?

For the money he was on and his performances in games I saw he will not be any sad loss but shows other clubs (in any sport) how to expect him to behave. 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That's just life, the Dragons made their own decision on taking this risk, they took the negative press and if he has now left, it is up to them to decide if it was worth it.

I don't think we should stress too much about this kind of thing overall though, sometimes these kinds of signings pay off sometimes they don't sometimes they are only for a year, sometimes long term. 

My personal belief is that this is one that can firmly be put in the 'not worth the effort' category, but last season was a really difficult one that probably hampered what they were hoping his impact would be.

I think that is the point and I generally agree, though Rugby League (and Super League specifically) will have taken a reputation hit as a result of his initial signing. It doesn't really help Super League's reputation amongst Australians as a rehab place for NRL badboys and cast-offs. Equally it seems we look like a laundry machine for RU too which I don't think is great.

In the same way that other sports have lower divisions with lower profile to hide their problematic characters in (I'm thinking Ched Evans ending up at Fleetwood Town or Paddy Jackson ironically going to Perpignan RU), it seems Super League does seem to have a bit of a reputation for being a haven for those sorts of characters. I don't think that's good in and of itself, but also because of what it suggests about the status of Super League more broadly.

51 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that is the point and I generally agree, though Rugby League (and Super League specifically) will have taken a reputation hit as a result of his initial signing. It doesn't really help Super League's reputation amongst Australians as a rehab place for NRL badboys and cast-offs. Equally it seems we look like a laundry machine for RU too which I don't think is great.

In the same way that other sports have lower divisions with lower profile to hide their problematic characters in (I'm thinking Ched Evans ending up at Fleetwood Town or Paddy Jackson ironically going to Perpignan RU), it seems Super League does seem to have a bit of a reputation for being a haven for those sorts of characters. I don't think that's good in and of itself, but also because of what it suggests about the status of Super League more broadly.

I don't disagree with the point overall, but I think we need to always keep it in perspective, an awful lot of players from the NRL do a very good job over here, including some of those who have, shall we say, troubled pasts.

I think clubs should always think long and hard about who they sign, I wouldn't have been happy with Wire signing Folau and would have let them know that, but Catalans made that choice and they will live with that. 

I also think we can be guilty of over-analysing some of this stuff, in terms of perception of SL being a dumping ground, we hear this a lot, but then Jackson Hastings come over and wins MoS and it is barely mentioned again. Players will always join other comps for fresh starts, RL's issue here is that there are only really two options!

The followers of Super League clubs continue their bullying.

No more,' the players have a short career they must do what is best and make the most money,etc ' that is applied when other players are involved in transfers.

No consideration given to Covid - the French,who have  a proper lockdown have to travel to England with the worst Covid record recorded.

Or for him,and his family, to remain in a country where the majority of the country can behave, and the politicians take control.

No other player victimised where followers of the ' family sport '  wish him physical harm.

No doubt he will apologise for causing Wigan to alter their Pride fixture in 2021. 

I take it his Life doesn't matter,then?

Only in rugby league;in England...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

5 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

No more,' the players have a short career they must do what is best and make the most money,etc ' that is applied when other players are involved in transfers.

No consideration given to Covid - the French,who have  a proper lockdown have to travel to England with the worst Covid record recorded.

Or for him,and his family, to remain in a country where the majority of the country can behave, and the politicians take control.

No other player victimised where followers of the ' family sport '  wish him physical harm.

No doubt he will apologise for causing Wigan to alter their Pride fixture in 2021. 

I've no problem with him going where the money is. It's his career.

I mean, he's not supposed to want money because he's so deeply religious but maybe his bible misses out those passages or puts in a caveat that you can get through the eye of the needle if you're handy with a football.

But, leaving that aside, the only issue appears to be his absolute behaving to type and not having the good grace to speak to Catalan about his plans. Perhaps he thinks you can catch Covid from an international phone call?

Either way, glad he's leaving the sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Yes, only RL fans in England criticise players.

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't disagree with the point overall, but I think we need to always keep it in perspective, an awful lot of players from the NRL do a very good job over here, including some of those who have, shall we say, troubled pasts.

I think clubs should always think long and hard about who they sign, I wouldn't have been happy with Wire signing Folau and would have let them know that, but Catalans made that choice and they will live with that. 

I also think we can be guilty of over-analysing some of this stuff, in terms of perception of SL being a dumping ground, we hear this a lot, but then Jackson Hastings come over and wins MoS and it is barely mentioned again. Players will always join other comps for fresh starts, RL's issue here is that there are only really two options!

Oh absolutely but it is still harder to clean negative perceptions out rather than have total focus on the positives - as the negatives linger for longer. 

I agree overanalysing is a bit of a concern, but so is underappreciating others perception from brief glances. 

I think we've got to be aiming for Super League to be aspirational for Australians etc rather than last chance saloon and I think we're slowly getting there, but it will take time.

Archived