Folau set to depart the Dragons ?

Davo5

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Oh absolutely but it is still harder to clean negative perceptions out rather than have total focus on the positives - as the negatives linger for longer. 

I agree overanalysing is a bit of a concern, but so is underappreciating others perception from brief glances. 

I think we've got to be aiming for Super League to be aspirational for Australians etc rather than last chance saloon and I think we're slowly getting there, but it will take time.

Aye, we are getting there, but ultimately money will be the driver here. The marquee rule will help to an extent, but the last time we had a consistently higher standard of player (particularly Kiwis) was when the NRL had a far lower cap and  the exchange rate was great. 

If we end up back there financially I expect we would see the quality of players return.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, we are getting there, but ultimately money will be the driver here. The marquee rule will help to an extent, but the last time we had a consistently higher standard of player (particularly Kiwis) was when the NRL had a far lower cap and  the exchange rate was great. 

If we end up back there financially I expect we would see the quality of players return.

Absolutely, and the reputation of Super League with it!

My advice to Israel.  When deciding whether to break your contract, fail to turn up for pre-season training, ignore the attempts at contact from your employer and consider a move to French Rugby Union for more money, always ask yourself... what would Jesus do? 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The sad element out of this fiasco is going to be the Dragons who backed him and stuck with their desire to have him against a lot of hostility (rightly so). 

Bernard and Steve will look pretty daft if he doesnt come back. 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The followers of Super League clubs continue their bullying.

No more,' the players have a short career they must do what is best and make the most money,etc ' that is applied when other players are involved in transfers.

No consideration given to Covid - the French,who have  a proper lockdown have to travel to England with the worst Covid record recorded.

Or for him,and his family, to remain in a country where the majority of the country can behave, and the politicians take control.

No other player victimised where followers of the ' family sport '  wish him physical harm.

No doubt he will apologise for causing Wigan to alter their Pride fixture in 2021. 

I take it his Life doesn't matter,then?

Only in rugby league;in England...

You have no idea, have you. No one was saying his life didn’t matter. It is the easiest thing in the world to communicate. When he was spewing hate filled bigotry into the e world, he had no trouble at all getting his message across. As for your insight into a pandemic, I am not sure how your ill informed opinionated nonsense squares with your role as a self appointed occupier of the moral high ground. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

My advice to Israel.  When deciding whether to break your contract, fail to turn up for pre-season training, ignore the attempts at contact from your employer and consider a move to French Rugby Union for more money, always ask yourself... what would Jesus do? 

My money is on Jesus saying to Israel “I never knew you, depart from me.” (Matthew 7ish)

Catalans have put out a statement, in the literal sense.

The club and Israel Folau have been in constant dialogue since Christmas regarding a personal family situation. This along with Covid restrictions are currently preventing his return to France.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Plenty of people slagging Folau off here, when nobody knows his reasons for not reporting back yet etc. 

The report says he’s been ignoring messages from Catalan so unless he’s died I think people are well within there rights to be critical. It doesn’t take much to answer a text/email from your employer. 

Not really sure if I should post this in here or not.. But was just reading this story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51734341 

And it mentioned the Folau coming to RL in the UK and the RL fans reactions to him as one of the inspirations to get back to making his movie.

On the Folau leaving scenario - Hopefully he will be gone from RL. Personally, I struggle to like people that can't accept homosexuality, especially if you are screaming about it, and if you are someone that holds those views then you shouldn't be allowed to be role model. But oh well 🙂 

I reckon the club are seeing what happens with the start of the season and if crowds are allowed back before deciding if they can afford to keep him or not. He's on big wages and theyre stuck with Kasiano who is now fully paid by the dragons and not helped by the storm. 

6 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I reckon the club are seeing what happens with the start of the season and if crowds are allowed back before deciding if they can afford to keep him or not. He's on big wages and theyre stuck with Kasiano who is now fully paid by the dragons and not helped by the storm. 

That... and I bet he's shopping around for some NRL clubs

I think he'll go to french rugby union but only with the ok from guasch if he can't afford him. He'll definitely go the season after. He took a massive pay cut to sign for the catalans. Although i don't think he had much choice. 

9 hours ago, bobbruce said:

The report says he’s been ignoring messages from Catalan so unless he’s died I think people are well within there rights to be critical. It doesn’t take much to answer a text/email from your employer. 

As I said, you don’t know the situation. Let’s face it, the criticism is mainly from people who despise him because of his views, and they can’t wait for an opportunity to wade in. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As I said, you don’t know the situation. Let’s face it, the criticism is mainly from people who despise him because of his views, and they can’t wait for an opportunity to wade in. 

I dont despise him for his views... I just don't wont him to leave rugby league... especially Catalans gave him a chance (loyalty)...  and if he does leave for French Union.... I hope his d..k drops off...

14 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Catalans have put out a statement, in the literal sense.

There are no restrictions on travel between France and Australia (according to the French government advice website I just read) as it is regarded that Australia is one of several countries (others include South Korea, Taiwan etc) to have successfully controlled the virus. (Essentially it's an 'air corridor' in line with the UK government's previous approach).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

I think he'll go to french rugby union but only with the ok from guasch if he can't afford him. He'll definitely go the season after. He took a massive pay cut to sign for the catalans. Although i don't think he had much choice. 

Who was paying him before Catalans got involved?

16 minutes ago, Click said:

Who was paying him before Catalans got involved?

I think you already know he was sacked from his contract by Aus RU and ended up with circa £4m for unfair dismissal.  

He was on a 4 year deal with RU done in early 2019 that was reported as £1.2m a year.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think you already know he was sacked from his contract by Aus RU and ended up with circa £4m for unfair dismissal.  

He was on a 4 year deal with RU done in early 2019 that was reported as £1.2m a year.

I think we need to be clear here.  Folau did not win an unfair dismissal claim as he reached a settlement with the ARU before the case was heard.

The part I liked best about all of this is that $2M was raised through crowd funding Christian groups for Folau to fight his case and speak up for 'religious freedom' and then he settled the case with an apology for all the hurt he caused and kept all the settlement money.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are no restrictions on travel between France and Australia (according to the French government advice website I just read) as it is regarded that Australia is one of several countries (others include South Korea, Taiwan etc) to have successfully controlled the virus. (Essentially it's an 'air corridor' in line with the UK government's previous approach).

Read the statement first. They say that he has family issues a disingenuous regular contact with the club.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived