Jump to content

Folau set to depart the Dragons ?


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My advice to Israel.  When deciding whether to break your contract, fail to turn up for pre-season training, ignore the attempts at contact from your employer and consider a move to French Rugby Union

Well, this is an entirely unexpected development.

Hard to comment on Folau threads without seemingly like a sympathiser. I'm not to be clear - I completely disagree with his 'beliefs'.  But once again many on here appear to have their moral comp

Posted Images

Not that I'm suggesting his misdeeds are anywhere near as bad as Tetevano's, but Hardaker's been in serious trouble in 2017 (drug ban) and 2018 (DUI) - so actually a bit more recent.

The problem with Folau was that the ARU had a pathetically weak contract that enabled him to continue to spout his nonsense after they'd warned him several times.  If a sport wants to control social media of players, they need to make damn sure their contracts enable them to enforce sanctions.  The ARU talked a big game but in the end folded because their contract was pants.  its also worth remembering that the ARU would have done nothing except a public ticking off if it wasn't for the backlash they got from sponsors which genuinely threatened the viability of the sport.  

Folau was quite happy to take money from a near-bankrupt sport - effectively from all those families who pay memberships to watch and participate in the game - whilst claiming it wasn't about money. That's on top of his warped views.

In theory I don't think I would want to see players banned for having distasteful views (just imagine what horrendous stuff  you'd hear in terms of racism, homophobia and misogyny if all players gave their honest opinions...) but the sport can and should restrict the ability of anyone earning a crust from the game to spout them publicly.

I'm really torn on players who commit crimes. On the one hand I genuinely think that if a player has served time there shouldn't be a form of double jeopardy where effectively they get ongoing penalties for the rest of their career by not being able to earn a living. On the other hand I'm not comfortable with known wife-beaters playing for my club.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nothing to see here then, good chance for people to chat ###### about Folau though. 
 

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12193797/israel-folau-catalans-dragons-rebuff-rumours-of-australians-departure

You don't need to stress about it. I can't remember the details but I heard recently that Israel was cool about chatting ##### about other people on the Internet so he will be ok with us mulling over his life.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You don't need to stress about it. I can't remember the details but I heard recently that Israel was cool about chatting ##### about other people on the Internet so he will be ok with us mulling over his life.

Aye. 

It's a bit odd to stress about members of an RL forum discussing RL news/rumours/gossip that is on the Internet. 

Maybe people should criticise journos if they have an issue with gossip. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye. 

It's a bit odd to stress about members of an RL forum discussing RL news/rumours/gossip that is on the Internet. 

Maybe people should criticise journos if they have an issue with gossip. 

Yesterday it was a fact that Catalans hadn’t heard anything from Folau and how disgraceful his behaviour was. Internet gossip about individuals is just that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Yesterday it was a fact that Catalans hadn’t heard anything from Folau and how disgraceful his behaviour was. Internet gossip about individuals is just that. 

We've already had that link from the day before yesterday, mind.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yesterday it was a fact that Catalans hadn’t heard anything from Folau and how disgraceful his behaviour was. Internet gossip about individuals is just that. 

The discussions here were about stuff released by RL journos, including this website. 

I trust you will never discuss any speculation about anything ever again here Eddie? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember 'freedom of speech' being the main defence of Israel's posts on social media which started all this fuss in the first place.  Whether you agreed with his views or not, we were told by people that it was outrageous if he wasn't able to voice his opinions on the internet (ironically, it was a defence which wasn't required as nobody actually said he couldn't post his views - just he had to suffer the consequences if he did).

Anyway.  In the spirit of freedom of speech, I think it is our right... no, our obligation, to continue to gossip about Mr Folau.

If we don't, then we simply aren't utilizing the cherished freedoms that he fought so hard to protect for us.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to the family issues, I have it on good authority that there is a member of his family who is a complete moron and is forcing him to stay in Australia. Same said family member is keen for him to get a better offer elsewhere. How sad for him to be in such close proximity to such stupidity and selfishness. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

The discussions here were about stuff released by RL journos, including this website. 

I trust you will never discuss any speculation about anything ever again here Eddie? 

Not my point and you know it. Most of the vitriol was because it was Folau, someone else not turning up would have gone by unnoticed. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not my point and you know it. Most of the vitriol was because it was Folau, someone else not turning up would have gone by unnoticed. 

Well, durrrr ...

  • Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Here’s a headline:

Tabloid Trash, Click Bait Article on Channel 9 Website With No Factual Content Draws Hysterical Criticism For Isarael Falou From RL Fans

i know, I know, it’s a bit wordy... I will work on it.

Keep working on it... especially the spelling of his surname. :kolobok_wink:

  • Haha 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not my point and you know it. Most of the vitriol was because it was Folau, someone else not turning up would have gone by unnoticed. 

I'm still not sure of your point.

If it emerges that he may not return this year, that is news - even this forum's owner thought so.

This guy is unpopular with plenty of people, I'm not sure why it is a problem that people portray negative opinions here. It's up to mods to moderate if it oversteps the mark. Apart from one or two silly posts it hasnt, and certainly not to be categorised as vitriol.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I seem to remember 'freedom of speech' being the main defence of Israel's posts on social media which started all this fuss in the first place.  Whether you agreed with his views or not, we were told by people that it was outrageous if he wasn't able to voice his opinions on the internet (ironically, it was a defence which wasn't required as nobody actually said he couldn't post his views - just he had to suffer the consequences if he did).

Anyway.  In the spirit of freedom of speech, I think it is our right... no, our obligation, to continue to gossip about Mr Folau.

If we don't, then we simply aren't utilizing the cherished freedoms that he fought so hard to protect for us.

😆 indeed, I did nearly go down the free speech route, but you have done it very well.

But apart from somebody wishing his willy would fall off I hardly see anything for anyone to get upset about here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2021 at 13:37, Sports Prophet said:

Here’s a headline:

Tabloid Trash, Click Bait Article on Channel 9 Website With No Factual Content Draws Hysterical Criticism For Isarael Falou From RL Fans

i know, I know, it’s a bit wordy... I will work on it.

 

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Keep working on it... especially the spelling of his surname. :kolobok_wink:

Both names in fact.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Don't think Hardakers done too much wrong recently? 

Nope he’s been pretty good, but was a big risk and fair play to wigan for the work/support they have given him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, gawd bless Wigan. Those nasties at Fev, Leeds and Cas just let him act like a total tool without intervening at all. Leeds tried for years and eventually gave up. At Cas he seemed back on track then the drugs, and then the DUI after having signed for Wigan. Its nothing to do with support or lack of it - if he's cleaned his act up its because he's finally grown up after years of acting like a spoiled kid.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Yes, gawd bless Wigan. Those nasties at Fev, Leeds and Cas just let him act like a total tool without intervening at all. Leeds tried for years and eventually gave up. At Cas he seemed back on track then the drugs, and then the DUI after having signed for Wigan. Its nothing to do with support or lack of it - if he's cleaned his act up its because he's finally grown up after years of acting like a spoiled kid.

Not sure how this turned into going at Hardaker, but you have no idea if the support that Wigan gave him after joining was the support he needed to finally "grow up", or if he just realised that he needs to start smartening up before he ends up without a career.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Click said:

Not sure how this turned into going at Hardaker, but you have no idea if the support that Wigan gave him after joining was the support he needed to finally "grow up", or if he just realised that he needs to start smartening up before he ends up without a career.

The support Wigan gave him was no more than Leeds already had tried.

The difference was the timing. The complete disintegration of his career after  2017 you'd have thought may well have had a sobering effect. Although judging by his continuing social media misadventures maybe not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2021 at 14:12, Dave T said:

Without going into the individual cases, that absolutely does highlight an awareness issue. I still know little about Tetevano but know plenty about Folau because of his far higher worldwide profile.

More people will see a thread about Folau and go on and give their view about that than they did about Tetevano who is somebody many people won't even have heard of. 

Had you complained about media inbalance, that is a worthy discussion - but I don't follow the thought that people don't have their own moral compass. It doesn't make sense. Once you also start using the label 'liberals' I'm afraid it sends some warning signals. I'll wait for the word 'woke' to pop up before I leave the thread alone.

 

is their not also an underlying aspect of modern days views of some maybe niche Christian religion teaching or perception of that teaching and hence views that clash with modern society..

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, M j M said:

The support Wigan gave him was no more than Leeds already had tried.

The difference was the timing. The complete disintegration of his career after  2017 you'd have thought may well have had a sobering effect. Although judging by his continuing social media misadventures maybe not.

I have no idea if the support from Wigan was more or not - and neither do you. That's all I am saying on it. There are a lot of factors in play when someone "grows up" as some people like to say. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2021 at 23:12, Gooleboy said:

He was no trouble at Featherstone.

indeed, but once he had fallen (and more than once) i would have been worried as a club and he becomes a risk to take on, which was the point i was making in a comment relating to my feelings towards folau.

I agree he has "grown up" potentially but equally sometimes it takes some people talking to them well and supporting them to help them see that that is what is needed and sometimes the support to help them to actually "grow up". Anyone with any experience with addiction or depression would realise that it is rare that you just "snap out of it" or "grow up" there is often so much more behind it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...