Where do we think Rugby League will be in 5 years time?

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Look Dave I never said it had to be huge but I jut find it hard to fathom that after all this time those countries couldn`t have had a team or teams.

We`re talking about a professional sporting club here that would pay wages comparative at least with the existing union sides. I`m sure that every young union player coming through the ranks doesn`t get picked up by a pro union team, and in the past there wasn`t even pro union teams to pick them up. I`m just thinking if there had of been a League option perhaps some of the young blokes would have hedged their bets and kept an open mind about both.

I think Johnoco probably expresses it better than I can in his first post, and as far Scotland goes it does seem like a bit of a lost cause, perhaps if they had found a way to admit that Edinburgh team all those years ago.

One thing I have noticed in that Newsnow Rugby League on-line news site there does seem to be a smattering of League news being picked up off Irish news sites. So it can`t be completely invisible in that country if there running news article about the NRL or SLE.

How exactly are you setting up a pro team in Scotland and Ireland? We have in Wales, a fair few times. 

Which Edinburgh team? 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me when Leigh was given the 12th spot in Super League it very much summed it up for me. A competition which has no ambition and is happy to be a a M62 corridor game under the present administratio

Whoever your dealer is, tell him to send some round to ours....

For me it will be concussion which decides the future of the game. We're only at the very early stages of coming to terms with what impact this will have on both codes of rugby. I expect a seismic shi

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not convinced something just being close is a good reason to spend millions on something. 

But if your point is that we should have tried more, then I agree with you. 

I am talking in the past mate, when it certainly might have cost money but not millions. The ship has long since sailed though so maybe focussing on what’s left is the only thing to do.

Some right nonsense on here , the Pacific island teams haven't been ' developed ' by anybody , they're a result of migration from those islands for work , and that those nation's people are ideally suited to Rugby in both its forms 

I lived in NZ in the seventies , the white Kiwi's and some Maori's played Union , the islanders ( I won't use the actual term used as I'm sure it would be construed as rascist ) and the rest of the Maori's played League , at that time League was considered a game for those who enjoyed a good fight 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

For me it will be concussion which decides the future of the game. We're only at the very early stages of coming to terms with what impact this will have on both codes of rugby. I expect a seismic shift in rules within the next five years for both codes. This could mean union looking more like league, league merging with union, or both codes adapting to new rules and retaining their own distinct identities.

Whatever happens, I think any M62 and expansion arguments could well be made redundant by player welfare concerns. It will be how the game is played rather than where the game is played.

I agree that Union will look very different in 5 years

There has been talk about banning any form of tackling above waist. I think it will happen in both codes

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How exactly are you setting up a pro team in Scotland and Ireland? We have in Wales, a fair few times. 

Which Edinburgh team? 

It may have been Glasgow, whatever, the article has been floating around on these forum for ages.

As far as where are you setting up a pro club, the point is it doesn`t have to be fully pro, loads and loads of blokes play League over here because they can add another 5 or 10 thousand to their wages. When your a young bloke trying to get ahead that`s pretty handy.

The NRL are probably in a similar situation with Perth over here, can`t afford or are unwilling to stump up the extra 5 million per year for possibly 10 years that Perth would need to get established. Of course if it was a success the sponsors would climb on board pretty quickly, but that`s the gamble. 

What went wrong with the Welsh ventures ?

Edited by The Rocket
change Irish to Welsh.
5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes the all stars idea right? 

It was me that brought it up in response to the criticism of a possible exiles game , as essentially that is what it is , and of course the use of Netball as a forward thinking sport , they do it = good , we do it = bad 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

There has been no strategic plan for the Pacific teams for years, as a game we are dropping lucky because plenty of players who can represent them live in Oz and NZ. 

As I said in my first post, none of this is suggesting Europe is being done well, but let's not make out the likes of Tonga, Fiji and Samoa are examples of good development.

Perfectly put Dave, the leniency of the heritage ruling in all sports has meant that those countries who could not even contemplate to compete in competitions have been presented with a way to do so and Rugby League is most probably one of the sports that has benefitted more than most, without it this years tournament would simply be a 5 nations competition.

14 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No idea. Not a sport I’m a fan of so I wouldn’t be aware of what’s happening or why it’s happening. 

England are playing an other nationalities 'All Stars' team in a three match series.

The reason England are playing an other nationalities 'All Stars' team is because they have a contractual obligation to put on a three match series and the advertised, tickets-sold, TV contracts confirmed, series versus Jamaica could not go ahead thanks to covid restrictions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

39 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It may have been Glasgow, whatever, the article has been floating around on these forum for ages.

As far as where are you setting up a pro club, the point is it doesn`t have to be fully pro, loads and loads of blokes play League over here because they can add another 5 or 10 thousand to their wages. When your a young bloke trying to get ahead that`s pretty handy.

The NRL are probably in a similar situation with Perth over here, can`t afford or are unwilling to stump up the extra 5 million per year for possibly 10 years that Perth would need to get established. Of course if it was a success the sponsors would climb on board pretty quickly, but that`s the gamble. 

What went wrong with the Western Reds?

49 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It was me that brought it up in response to the criticism of a possible exiles game , as essentially that is what it is , and of course the use of Netball as a forward thinking sport , they do it = good , we do it = bad 

Do you have any idea whether it’s deemed a good idea in Netball, then? 

54 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree that Union will look very different in 5 years

There has been talk about banning any form of tackling above waist. I think it will happen in both codes

Not sure how that would help . Two of the three concussions in SOO1 were Tedesco sliding into Papaali`s knee and Cordner hitting his head on someone`s hip when making a low tackle.

If all tackles are below the waist we might just see more head clashes as tacklers go in.

If the goal is to eliminate all concussions I think they are going to have to find a different way. Professional players may have to sign waivers.

• Like 1

A lot of desperate sad nonsense talked... starting with page 1.

The game needs to consolidate.  Expansion if it were to come would need a huge dose of investment, not just money, but will power on behalf of anyone who wants to be part of the game.  Really... where is that going to come from? Not from wishful thinking.

People talk about Wales, should it be Glasgow or Edinburgh.  Toronto Ottawa New York, Toulouse...    Where please do the players come from?  Well?  Do they come perfectly formed with all the top edged trimmings ?

In five years if we are lucky we will have maintained the current cut of the outgoing tv deal that was equivalent to SuperLeague.  There will be 12 teams.  We will have invested private equity money wisely.  The SL will have a coherent modern image.  The rest of the part time game will have gone amateur or 'open'.  If we are lucky that part of the game will have a coherent stable organisation.

If SL remains popular and valuable for TV companies then after 5 years it might open up to the best available locations...  assuming that it's investment has been wise.

(and when I suggest above that most of RL will be amateur, that does not mean that it should not get investment from SL.  The point of SL investment is that it needs to be about investing in creating players.  Creating players from schools and amateur clubs)

So ultimately 5 years is not enough, it ought to be recognisable though that we are just starting on the right path.  If we have invested wisely we will create star players and below them, great ones and more of them.  Then we might add to the 12 teams (whoever they have been determined to be).

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Perfectly put Dave, the leniency of the heritage ruling in all sports has meant that those countries who could not even contemplate to compete in competitions have been presented with a way to do so and Rugby League is most probably one of the sports that has benefitted more than most, without it this years tournament would simply be a 5 nations competition.

And Harry , how far will the heretige rules be stretched , in 2 more generations how many actual Tongans,Samoans,Fijians will there be who can claim it ?

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

So this is pretty much the level in Wales now, but I'm not sure there is the demand in Scotland right now, and living in Edinburgh I'd love that not to be the case. 

There is a case to be made that we could have focused on Scotland, but the RFL aren't in the business of setting up clubs, I'm sure if somebody wanted to set up a club they'd likely get a place. 

Im not necessarily disagreeing with the point that we could have done some stuff there, or that we could now do some stuff there, b it t we need to be honest and realistic about these things, Edinburgh is a City in the UK that we could try and spread RL but then so is Bristol, and Nottingham etc. Scotland isn't some hotbed of Rugby that has been crying out for RL and we keep passing up on golden opportunities. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

So this is pretty much the level in Wales now, but I'm not sure there is the demand in Scotland right now, and living in Edinburgh I'd love that not to be the case. 

There is a case to be made that we could have focused on Scotland, but the RFL aren't in the business of setting up clubs, I'm sure if somebody wanted to set up a club they'd likely get a place. 

Im not necessarily disagreeing with the point that we could have done some stuff there, or that we could now do some stuff there, b it t we need to be honest and realistic about these things, Edinburgh is a City in the UK that we could try and spread RL but then so is Bristol, and Nottingham etc. Scotland isn't some hotbed of Rugby that has been crying out for RL and we keep passing up on golden opportunities. 

Oh yes it is Dave , an Aussie said so , so it must be true 🙄

30 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Not sure how that would help . Two of the three concussions in SOO1 were Tedesco sliding into Papaali`s knee and Cordner hitting his head on someone`s hip when making a low tackle.

If all tackles are below the waist we might just see more head clashes as tacklers go in.

If the goal is to eliminate all concussions I think they are going to have to find a different way. Professional players may have to sign waivers.

I agree with this, it would be interesting to know how many concussions are from bangs on the hip, knee, other tackles head or the ground. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree with this, it would be interesting to know how many concussions are from bangs on the hip, knee, other tackles head or the ground. 

While that is true , it's not just one off incidents , it's the constant repetitive nature of the ' slid up off his shoulder ' type of impact , ones that are often defended on TV as accidental , when they are fully deliberate 

If we are honest RL is too dangerous to play , which is why IMO anything after age 18 other than pro is just not viable , I told my own son at 18 , if you play , you get paid , no pay , no play 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

While that is true , it's not just one off incidents , it's the constant repetitive nature of the ' slid up off his shoulder ' type of impact , ones that are often defended on TV as accidental , when they are fully deliberate 

If we are honest RL is too dangerous to play , which is why IMO anything after age 18 other than pro is just not viable , I told my own son at 18 , if you play , you get paid , no pay , no play 

Yes, but if they change the tackle height then we will get more of the things I highlight which could replace the things you highlight. Unintended consequences. 

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Read Ginger John's post above for your answer 

So, that’s a no. Beyond knowing there is/was a Manchester based side, my knowledge of Netball ends there. Do they have a French team in their domestic competition with a series of French players at other U.K. based clubs?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I hope your son was good enough to be paid.

When my kids got to 18 they became free to make their own decisions in life and play which sport they wanted.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So, that’s a no. Beyond knowing there is/was a Manchester based side, my knowledge of Netball ends there. Do they have a French team in their domestic competition with a series of French players at other U.K. based clubs?

Not got a clue what you're on about , have little to no interest in discussing it , quite simply if you hadn't noticed we're in a global pandemic , which means businesses including sports have to make allowances and operate differently , that includes who it is safe to play when trying to put together International type events 

But you please continue the discussion with whoever is interested enough to do so