11 Free Agents: Looking for a chance to shine

Surely some on that list would be of  interest to Leigh, on the recruitment side nothing is coming out of the club, Mr Beaumont's aim he says is to be in SL in '22 at this rate of team strengthening he must be banking on P&R for whatever reason being scrapped this year. I never had much hope that we could survive the drop, but I will be bitterly disappointed if the club doesn't make the effort to give it a go.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Surely some on that list would be of  interest to Leigh, on the recruitment side nothing is coming out of the club, Mr Beaumont's aim he says is to be in SL in '22 at this rate of team strengthening he must be banking on P&R for whatever reason being scrapped this year. I never had much hope that we could survive the drop, but I will be bitterly disappointed if the club doesn't make the effort to give it a go.

There are surely some more high-profile signings on the way at Leigh. Somebody on the Leigh forum put out a potential 17-man line-up saying they thought it was the strongest Leigh team they had put out for a very long time. My thoughts were that it was a very strong team if challenging for promotion, but as far as SL was concerned, I wasn't so sure. In fact, given the fact that strength of Leigh's squad was the main reason cited for their getting the nod for the vacant SL spot, I must admit I'd fancy a potential Fev squad to give them a game, at the very least.

1. Ryan Brierley
2. Matty Russell
3. Iain Thornley
4. Junior Sau
5. Lewis Tierney
6. Blake Wallace
7. Joe Mellor
8. Mark Ioane
9. Liam Hood
10. Ben Flower
11. Ben Hellewell
12. Nathaniel Peteru
13. James Bell
14. Matty Wildie
15. Adam Sidlow
16. Nathan Mason
17. Jordan Thompson

1. Craig Hall
2 Gareth Gale
3 Thomas Minns
4 Kris Welham
5 Ben Blackmore
6 Nu Brown/Tom Holmes
7 Dane Chisholm
8 Craig Kopczak
9 Connor Jones
10 James Harrison
11 Brett Ferres
12 Brad Day
13 James Lockwood
14 Junior Moors
15 Jack Bussey
16 Dean Parata
17 Josh Hardcastle

6 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Yup..you can follow the link. Désolée ... it's in French but you get the giste of it all 

Cracking signing for TO..... love the club. Love visits there. 

Young Ben Reynolds is jammy little bug ger getting that gig. What a place to live and work. Fabulous

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Cracking signing for TO..... love the club. Love visits there. 

Young Ben Reynolds is jammy little bug ger getting that gig. What a place to live and work. Fabulous

Rémi is a massive signing. Not just because he is a top player, but what he can bring to the club from a "lets get the kids playing" point of view. A top french international player who should be helping push the club onwards and upwards.

Let's just hope he gets to play this year !

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

There are surely some more high-profile signings on the way at Leigh. Somebody on the Leigh forum put out a potential 17-man line-up saying they thought it was the strongest Leigh team they had put out for a very long time. My thoughts were that it was a very strong team if challenging for promotion, but as far as SL was concerned, I wasn't so sure. In fact, given the fact that strength of Leigh's squad was the main reason cited for their getting the nod for the vacant SL spot, I must admit I'd fancy a potential Fev squad to give them a game, at the very least.

1. Ryan Brierley
2. Matty Russell
3. Iain Thornley
4. Junior Sau
5. Lewis Tierney
6. Blake Wallace
7. Joe Mellor
8. Mark Ioane
9. Liam Hood
10. Ben Flower
11. Ben Hellewell
12. Nathaniel Peteru
13. James Bell
14. Matty Wildie
15. Adam Sidlow
16. Nathan Mason
17. Jordan Thompson

1. Craig Hall
2 Gareth Gale
3 Thomas Minns
4 Kris Welham
5 Ben Blackmore
6 Nu Brown/Tom Holmes
7 Dane Chisholm
8 Craig Kopczak
9 Connor Jones
10 James Harrison
11 Brett Ferres
12 Brad Day
13 James Lockwood
14 Junior Moors
15 Jack Bussey
16 Dean Parata
17 Josh Hardcastle

And, I think that Toulouse could offer a stronger starting 13 than Leigh with all their recent signings, you say surely there are some high profile signings on the way to the LSV my gripe is nothing is being mentioned, I would have thought that at the interview and new appointment of Gareth Carvell as Rugby Manager a playing roster budget must have been mentioned, at present it seems to say "There is nothing extra" but I would love to be proved wrong.

As mentioned the Leigh roster has been put together to contest the Championship, as the teams stand at the moment I would put the Leigh squad in 3rd place in the Championship race never mind avoiding relegation in SL.

A question for those Fev fans who prior to the 12th team announcement, who said their team would not be strong enough for SL, have you had a change of heart? 

6 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Signed yesterday Robin so why is he appearing in an article today even though they published the story yesterday?

https://www.totalrl.com/junior-moors-signs-for-featherstone-rovers/

The free agents story was in Monday's League Express so is actually a few days old. It's just been linked to on here today.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And, I think that Toulouse could offer a stronger starting 13 than Leigh with all their recent signings, you say surely there are some high profile signings on the way to the LSV my gripe is nothing is being mentioned, I would have thought that at the interview and new appointment of Gareth Carvell as Rugby Manager a playing roster budget must have been mentioned, at present it seems to say "There is nothing extra" but I would love to be proved wrong.

As mentioned the Leigh roster has been put together to contest the Championship, as the teams stand at the moment I would put the Leigh squad in 3rd place in the Championship race never mind avoiding relegation in SL.

A question for those Fev fans who prior to the 12th team announcement, who said their team would not be strong enough for SL, have you had a change of heart? 

Leigh still only have 22/23 players so there is definitely more to come. DB has already confirmed on a couple of interviews he did that our remaining quota spots will be used on another centre and 2nd row - Tim Lafai, Dean Whare and Bryson Goodwin were all being considered at centre and i'd expect another couple of further additions on top of that.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

The free agents story was in Monday's League Express so is actually a few days old. It's just been linked to on here today.

Maybe so it appears in the print paper on Monday, however it was published today online, 22nd. I would accept the paper being slightly out of date - but web, nah. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

1. Ryan Brierley
2. Matty Russell
3. Iain Thornley
4. Junior Sau
5. Lewis Tierney
6. Blake Wallace
7. Joe Mellor
8. Mark Ioane
9. Liam Hood
10. Ben Flower
11. Ben Hellewell
12. Nathaniel Peteru
13. James Bell
14. Matty Wildie
15. Adam Sidlow
16. Nathan Mason
17. Jordan Thompson

1. Craig Hall
2 Gareth Gale
3 Thomas Minns
4 Kris Welham
5 Ben Blackmore
6 Nu Brown/Tom Holmes
7 Dane Chisholm
8 Craig Kopczak
9 Connor Jones
10 James Harrison
11 Brett Ferres
12 Brad Day
13 James Lockwood
14 Junior Moors
15 Jack Bussey
16 Dean Parata
17 Josh Hardcastle

Where's Mr J Davies? Loads better than Ferres imo. Can't wait for season to start. Championship will outshine SL by leaps and bounds....

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

1. Ryan Brierley
2. Matty Russell
3. Iain Thornley
4. Junior Sau
5. Lewis Tierney
6. Blake Wallace
7. Joe Mellor
8. Mark Ioane
9. Liam Hood
10. Ben Flower
11. Ben Hellewell
12. Nathaniel Peteru
13. James Bell
14. Matty Wildie
15. Adam Sidlow
16. Nathan Mason
17. Jordan Thompson

I think in some positions we're stronger than the 2017 SL squad, others we're behind. Below is a 17 based on who made the most appearances our last year in SL. 

1. Ryan Hampshire
  2. Matty Dawson
  3. Ben Crooks
  4. Mitch Brown
  5. Adam Higson
  6. Ben Reynolds
  7. Josh Drinkwater
  8. Gareth Hock
  9. Eloi Pelissier
  10. Jamie Acton
  11. Harrison Hansen
  12. Atilea Vea
  13. Glenn Stewart
  14. Lachlan Burr
  15. Danny Tickle
  16. Liam Hood
  17. Sam Hopkins

I think wing, halfback and hooker we're stronger/better balanced than 2017. Centre we're currently a little behind but a good signing will change that, same with second row. Prop is an interesting one, Hock was unbelievable in rounds 1-8 and carried the pack until he got injured but the pack in general was so immobile that teams just picked us off down the middle. 

Archived