Jump to content

Championship and League 1 to return in March


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Duff logic. We read some workplaces are not adhering to social distancing or forcing people to come in instead of self-isolating but I don't hear anyone calling for all workplaces to be closed...

Which workplaces?  If true they should be shut down

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Which workplaces?  If true they should be shut down

There's been a load of stories about it recently, like this one: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55705798

In one of them it mentioned somebody forced to take their time self-isolating as paid holiday. Along with government ministers and civil servants, dodgy employers are the real Covidiots, the real super-spreaders.

Gone off topic somewhat. Anyway, I hope the RFL speaks up for rugby league and the need for crowds back by Easter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the clubs can recoup some losses by selling season tickets for a pass to watch their home games live. Also, paying per game can bring some money in.

Probably attract more fans on average than would attend in person so there hopefully there is some money to be made if it can be capitalised on

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It'll be sell 400 tickets and check people in, with the council on hand to monitor social distancing compliance ... scenario

Every game will have the feel of a Huddersfield Giants home game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Every game will have the feel of a Huddersfield Giants home game. 

Could be worse.

It could feel like a Huddersfield Barracudas game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Hopefully the clubs can recoup some losses by selling season tickets for a pass to watch their home games live. Also, paying per game can bring some money in.

Probably attract more fans on average than would attend in person so there hopefully there is some money to be made if it can be capitalised on

If they stagger times you could have fans picking off 2-3 games per weekend which isn't something they could as easily do with physically attending games.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If they stagger times you could have fans picking off 2-3 games per weekend which isn't something they could as easily do with physically attending games.

I guess Away fans will Increase also as people adversed to travel could just tune in

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If they stagger times you could have fans picking off 2-3 games per weekend which isn't something they could as easily do with physically attending games.

I agree. Clubs could potentially sell season tickets to fans of other clubs If they do stagger games so they don't clash 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

There's been a load of stories about it recently, like this one: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55705798

In one of them it mentioned somebody forced to take their time self-isolating as paid holiday. 

Sick pay is only £95.85 a week.  The employer can get that back from the Government so it costs them nothing.  But I would imagine that a fair few folk would rather take holiday pay, bearing in mind that there's not much prospect of actually going on holiday, than take what is usually a very large pay cut.

The question is - what "forced" this fella to take holiday pay ?  His employer being awkward ?  Or having no brass?

Edited by Griff
typo

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d go tomorrow. Nobody’s telling me going to a socially distanced rugby match is less safe than Tesco’s or many of the other indoor places I could go legally (like working in a factory or warehouse). 

Kind of sympathize with you on this one. A trip to our local Walmart or Canadian Superstore brings me into more contact with more people than a socially distanced sporting event with restricted crowds, however the rules here are no fans at sporting events so it is what it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that they are looking at resuming the league games in early April.

 I also understand that in the Championship,each club will play 9 teams twice and 4 teams once.22 games in total.

Personally I don’t like that format.

To me it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever nor is it logical.Indeed it is my opinion that it will not be a true reflection of the division by a long way.
 

My opinion is that it would have been better for all the clubs to have played each other(13 games)once.

 And then split the division into two so the top seven play each other once and the remaining seven play each other once.For me that makes more sense and is a more accurate reflection of the division.

 I think I will more than likely be using the streaming service to watch and will willingly pay per view to watch,because I don’t think I will be going to the games unfortunately because of what I think is probably likely to be the scenario ie the Social Distancing no doubt that will be imposed along with I suspect it being compulsory that in order to gain access to any sport arena you will need a”Health Passport”app on your phone to show you have been vaccinated and that your vaccines are up to date.Sorry but all of that is a huge NO NO for me.

 And if it means I can never go anywhere again such as a rugby match then I have been to my last ever game at the now age of 48.And if that is the case then so be it.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any idea whether the pay per view online streaming app would work over here in Canada? I tried once to get into Our League and it just wouldn’t load, and I don’t know if that because it’s crappy or blocked outside the UK? If I knew it would work for me I would definitely pay for Newcastle Thunder games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

From non league football there were examples of clubs having to reduce their capacity as they failed to enforce social distancing and the council - who ultimately give them their safety certificates - noticed.

You are correct Ginger.

I witnessed the re-introduction of Non League football in Cornwall. It included copy & paste make-believe Risk Assessments off Google, minimal track & trace, a free for all to sit or stand all together & rammed clubhouses full of boozers on the lash for most of the day.

Man Of Kent isn't wrong about the comparison of risk with Supermarkets & Workplaces but that argument only works if people follow the rules.

Cash at the bar was the main objective with Cornwall Football. They failed to establish and sensibly enforce ground rules for spectators. The authorities saw what was happening hence the lockdown.

If clubs & people stopped being stupid we'd have a case for safely watching live sport. Sadly our population aren't capable to fulfil this.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

You are correct Ginger.

I witnessed the re-introduction of Non League football in Cornwall. It included copy & paste make-believe Risk Assessments off Google, minimal track & trace, a free for all to sit or stand all together & rammed clubhouses full of boozers on the lash for most of the day.

Man Of Kent isn't wrong about the comparison of risk with Supermarkets & Workplaces but that argument only works if people follow the rules.

Cash at the bar was the main objective with Cornwall Football. They failed to establish and sensibly enforce ground rules for spectators. The authorities saw what was happening hence the lockdown.

If clubs & people stopped being stupid we'd have a case for safely watching live sport. Sadly our population aren't capable to fulfil this.

My football club was restricted to 300 (We normally average 150) the crowds went up a couple of times to 450 + one team in the league I know had just under 1000 for one match Step 5/6 non league football was not a good example of social distancing. When you checked the league website on a Monday everyone was announcing crowds of 300 dead (The max allowed) 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

My football club was restricted to 300 (We normally average 150) the crowds went up a couple of times to 450 + one team in the league I know had just under 1000 for one match Step 5/6 non league football was not a good example of social distancing. When you checked the league website on a Monday everyone was announcing crowds of 300 dead (The max allowed) 

 

That's a good example of what was going on and certainly a lesson for our game to learn from.

I went to a sunny all ticket game at Saltash United with strict capacity limitations. Second half they let all the 2nd & 3rd team players, wives, girlfriends & pals into the pitchside clubhouse. They spent the rest of the game boozing and blocking access around the side of the pitch. Must have been over a hundred of em on top of the allowed spectators with actual tickets.

I stopped attending Cornwall SWPL Football after that, utter shambles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I understand that they are looking at resuming the league games in early April.

 I also understand that in the Championship,each club will play 9 teams twice and 4 teams once.22 games in total.

Personally I don’t like that format.

To me it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever nor is it logical.Indeed it is my opinion that it will not be a true reflection of the division by a long way.
 

My opinion is that it would have been better for all the clubs to have played each other(13 games)once.

 And then split the division into two so the top seven play each other once and the remaining seven play each other once.For me that makes more sense and is a more accurate reflection of the division.

 I think I will more than likely be using the streaming service to watch and will willingly pay per view to watch,because I don’t think I will be going to the games unfortunately because of what I think is probably likely to be the scenario ie the Social Distancing no doubt that will be imposed along with I suspect it being compulsory that in order to gain access to any sport arena you will need a”Health Passport”app on your phone to show you have been vaccinated and that your vaccines are up to date.Sorry but all of that is a huge NO NO for me.

 And if it means I can never go anywhere again such as a rugby match then I have been to my last ever game at the now age of 48.And if that is the case then so be it.

There’s one flaw in that. I doubt the streaming service will be in place when crowds are allowed back in. Clubs will want the money on the gates

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Anyone have any idea whether the pay per view online streaming app would work over here in Canada? I tried once to get into Our League and it just wouldn’t load, and I don’t know if that because it’s crappy or blocked outside the UK? If I knew it would work for me I would definitely pay for Newcastle Thunder games.

you may need a vpn to make it look like you're in the UK, and you'd probably have more chance if they ask for paypal as opposed to debit card payments (again, from the geographic pov)

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

A problem for L1, of course, is that two out of 10 clubs don't come under Westminster rules but Cardiff (gawd help us!). The Cru MIGHT have the option of temporally slipping across the border (Chester RU, maybe - nice ground but there's costs to be considered) but I don't know about West Wales.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...