Your Rugby League Regrets.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving sydney to go back to Adelaide(driving) for my teams presentation evening the day before the 2003 nrl  grand final after seeing the two semis. Arrived at 11pm after car trouble and missed  the presentation. So i missed out on watching a grand final and the presentation. 

Saying "yes" to my niece when she really really wanted to watch one of her VHS tapes (she was very young).

It was CC Final day and I thought I'd placate her with 20-odd minutes of kiddie-TV pabulum before the game kicked off. I could miss the build-up in exchange for a quiet and contented child, after all.

The tape was much, much longer. I missed most of the Final.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Saying "yes" to my niece when she really really wanted to watch one of her VHS tapes (she was very young and I was babysitting). This was about 20 years ago.

It was CC Final day and I thought I'd placate her with 20-odd minutes of kiddie-TV pabulum before the game kicked off. I could miss the build-up in exchange for a quiet and contented child, after all.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not going to:

St Helens v Dewsbury in 1990, when we came away with a 12-all draw in the Regal Trophy.

Blackpool v Dewsbury in 1992, the only game I missed all season and lots of club records tumbled. Don't think I'll ever get so close to going to every game in a season again.

England v Tonga in Auckland at 2017 World Cup, when I was in Brisbane. Everyone I've met who went said it was their greatest ever RL exprience.

I have incredibly lame excuses for missing all three.

20 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Saying "yes" to my niece when she really really wanted to watch one of her VHS tapes (she was very young).

Oh, Uncle Futtocks, you old softy, you...!

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Oh, Uncle Futtocks, you old softy, you...!

If I'd said "no", she'd have been okay with it and done something else. But a deal's a deal and I agreed to it.

Later that day, I made a quick inventory of her tapes and which were the really long ones, so I could pretend interest in watching one of the others in future.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Not going to England v Tonga in Auckland at 2017 World Cup, when I was in Brisbane. Everyone I've met who went said it was their greatest ever RL exprience.

I went and can absolutely confirm for you that it (jointly) was 😎👍

Greatest regret, never got to go on a proper Ashes tour to Australia. Had it high on my bucket list throughout the late 80s and the 90s but couldn't afford it, when I finally could the SL wars and changing to summer RL in the UK came along which scuppered the tours. Subsequently been to numerous 3/4 nations and World Cups down under and loved them, but not quite the same as a GB/England v Australia series.

In second place, not going to Brisbane v Wigan WCC in 1994. Would have cost me an arm and a leg to get there for a one off game but it would have been a great memory to have and worth it.

48 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Not going to:

St Helens v Dewsbury in 1990, when we came away with a 12-all draw in the Regal Trophy.

Blackpool v Dewsbury in 1992, the only game I missed all season and lots of club records tumbled. Don't think I'll ever get so close to going to every game in a season again.

England v Tonga in Auckland at 2017 World Cup, when I was in Brisbane. Everyone I've met who went said it was their greatest ever RL exprience.

I have incredibly lame excuses for missing all three.

Last one I can't regret but wish I'd have been there.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

It can be generic but I'm looking at individually for me. 

Not seeing Ellery Hanley in Bradford colours as I started watching a few years later.

Not getting a ticket for the Rob Burrow testimonial. 

I was going to travel on the day to the Wigan-Sheffield cup final and decided against it.

1 hour ago, Willforminis said:

I first saw Ellery and Henderson Gill playing for Northern colts v Leeds colts in a game before the first team match around 1978. Both were outstanding and I think Nobby may have been playing too.

How did Gill end up at Rochdale?

Think mine would be as a junior club in the mid 80s around 13/14 years old. We started raising money to do a tour of Aus we spent a few weeks fund raising before I think the coaches/ parents realised it wasn’t doable unless we brought in some big sponsors. We ended up having a meeting and binned it of. We got new kits and training gear so were happy. Looking back now though it was probably a big missed opportunity. 

Never going on the field after the game in 2005 when London Broncos left Griffin Park. there was supposed to be a photograph of everyone, Players, Coaches and Fans post the last home game before becoming Quins RL taken on the field.

In retrospect, that was the day the dream died..☹️

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Never know, might still get a chance but so far I am yet to see an international in PNG. The atmosphere at PNG games is just unbelievable and that's just what gets picked up in TV. I would love to see England play there, I really hope I can someday. 

...also I am yet to streak on the pitch at Wembley. 😉

Mrs WWD and I (in our pre-kids days) went to Bristol to visit my mum for a week's holiday in Spring, 1985.  The Saturday was cup final day - Wigan-v- Hull - and I naturally fancied watching that.

Come the Saturday, however, and I was told that I should take my wife for a nice day out.  So we went into North Wiltshire and spent some time in Malmesbury.  It is a charming town, with a great ecclesiastical history and much else to commend it.

The trouble is, it's a charming town with all that history on any other day too.

We returned early evening to Bristol, just in time for me to turn on the TV news and learn that Wigan had beaten Hull in what was undoubtedly, the reports already said, one of the greatest Wembley finals ever!  Ah well...

Going to the mid season test between Australia and great britain in 2002/ 2003 where we lost with a lot of points. It's not going to the game that i regret but getting tickets surrounded by aussies and being heckled all game. Plus  having to watch those blokes on the side of the field do push ups for every point australia scored every time they scored for some sponsorship thing. This ended up being more interesting than the game at the end. 

Archived