Jump to content

Recommended Posts


  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My biggest regret is not being exposed to the game until I was in my 20's. If I had played ''little league'' I would have had at least 10 years more fun out of the game (and been a much better pl

Now there's a sentence you don't hear very often.....

I did go to the Wigan-Sheffield cup final and wished I hadn't.

My biggest regret is not being exposed to the game until I was in my 20's.

If I had played ''little league'' I would have had at least 10 years more fun out of the game (and been a much better player/coach).

I feel so sorry for the RaRa kids, forced to butt heads like cattle (in the front row, without ever handling the ball).

The poor lanky lads, taping blocks to their thighs because god didn't make them quite tall enough, taping their ears up to prevent cauliflowers due to hours spent in scrums (and without ever handling the ball).

The poor half-backs who are only ever called upon to put the ball in the scrum and the ''fly halves'' (ha ha) who think rugby's about kicking the ball into the arms of the opposition.

To the poor Ra Ra, centres for all the training they do, without getting more than 2 or 3 passes in a game and to the poor wingers, who leave the field without even getting their shorts dirty, while chasing field kicks, they have no chance of ever catching.

Wake up lads!

There's a much better way to spend your precious time.

Stop sleep-walking your young lives away, being dictated to, by the knobs at Twickers, who couldn't give a monkeys for any of you.

Come and play the people's game, now I've told you, you know it makes sense.

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Being a stocky little so&so at 12  playing on an under 13's team scoring 3 try's in first game, coach thinking I was too good and moving me to under 15's never scoring again all year and getting knocked out into the bargain!

Terrible coaching 

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not learning from Old Trafford in 1990 that, ultimately, Great Britain/England vs Australia will end up disappointing me. 

Special mention to the 2004 Tri Nations final, which led to a massive row with my ex for going to the pub to watch it whilst her family were there, stomping off out of the house in righteous indignation, and then slinking back in about an hour later. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

RLWC 2017. Waking up super early to watch NZ vs Tonga. NZ comfortably leading 16-2 at half-time, looking in control, Tonga not showing the slightest of sparks in attack, so I decided to go back to sleep.

Waking up hours later, seeing the result, Tonga won 28-22! 🤦‍♂️

Edited by langpark
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tom Moore said:

Not learning from Old Trafford in 1990 that, ultimately, Great Britain/England vs Australia will end up disappointing me. 

Special mention to the 2004 Tri Nations final, which led to a massive row with my ex for going to the pub to watch it whilst her family were there, stomping off out of the house in righteous indignation, and then slinking back in about an hour later. 

That was such a horrible day.

I have never felt so much anticipation at a Great Britain vs. Australia game. For the first time it felt like we were going to go into the game not with hope but with expectation that we could beat them.

And then it all turned sour almost straight away. Never felt so down during a game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That was such a horrible day.

I have never felt so much anticipation at a Great Britain vs. Australia game. For the first time it felt like we were going to go into the game not with hope but with expectation that we could beat them.

And then it all turned sour almost straight away. Never felt so down during a game.

It's a different kind of horrible to a lot of them, which are gutwrenching late losses which give you yet another reminder of the importance of playing for 80 minutes (OT 1990, every test in 2003,the first game in 2004) whereas with this one I felt like I'd been run over by a bus. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Passing my 11+ and opting to go to a school that played soccer instead of rugby, albeit R.U. My second choice was Normanton Grammar School, one of the best in the country at Union, but it also produced hundreds of future R.L stars.

My mate persuaded me to go to the other school however, and I still haven't forgiven him to this day. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That was such a horrible day.

I have never felt so much anticipation at a Great Britain vs. Australia game. For the first time it felt like we were going to go into the game not with hope but with expectation that we could beat them.

And then it all turned sour almost straight away. Never felt so down during a game.

The contrast between before kick off and half time was unbelievable. I didn’t stay the whole game as I’d brought the lads along telling them that this was the time and they’d remember it when they were grown ups....they got fed up, started arguing and that was enough for me. 😞😞

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

The contrast between before kick off and half time was unbelievable. I didn’t stay the whole game as I’d brought the lads along telling them that this was the time and they’d remember it when they were grown ups....they got fed up, started arguing and that was enough for me. 😞😞

I also left at half time.  Never have before or since in a game but I just couldn't stand the let down.

Had a mate along and we were staying over in Leeds and hitting the bars... for some reason I wanted to start early.

I do have a very pleasant (if somewhat blurred) memory from later in the night so all was not lost... but that is another story!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would never tire of watching that video.

Me neither. Probably the most incredible comeback of all time! Poor bloke though, Ainscough. Though I think he has gotten over it and seems to have a good sense of humour about it now. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I regret deciding not to travel over to Wilderspool for the Tonga v NZ world cup game - my mates were on the phone afterwards saying I'd missed one of the best ever matches.

I also regret not being able to watch the Wire in Toronto, but that's obviously still possible at some point.....

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

I regret deciding not to travel over to Wilderspool for the Tonga v NZ world cup game - my mates were on the phone afterwards saying I'd missed one of the best ever matches.

I also regret not being able to watch the Wire in Toronto, but that's obviously still possible at some point.....

It was, they're right, ive still got my ticket from that somewhere 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, langpark said:

The guy seen in this video at 0:22 running back up the stairs, any guesses what his biggest regret might be?? 😂

https://youtu.be/C4cg1_07XpU 

 

 

Me and my mate went into the Clubhouse thinking game over, as did many others. Nearly choked on our pints when the cheers went up and we saw on the TV what had happened.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gooleboy said:

Me and my mate went into the Clubhouse thinking game over, as did many others. Nearly choked on our pints when the cheers went up and we saw on the TV what had happened.

Poor owd Ainy..... he's got that sh it for the rest of his life. He was absolutely distraught afterwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest regret for myself was not getting an old crush-barrier from Knowsley Road so i could put it in my back garden. The ones in new stadia are not as nice as the old ones which had two legs either side of the barrier, and all barriers were in the home colours. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...