Jump to content

Eddie Battye gone from the Broncos


Recommended Posts


3 year deal.  Good news.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

London’s squad is looking particularly weak. It’s been said before and they’ve overachieved but can they keep doing that?

Is it a sign that they are accepting that the Championship is their natural level, and that to aim for SL involves spending money and taking risks that they are no longer comfortable with? That way the club continues to exist, they continue their work developing local youngsters, bring them through to the pro ranks, then move the better ones on. Adopting that strategy probably means no need for the SL standard ground, with the rent that would involve, I was going to add that if that is the case then I don’t know how that sits with the fans though, but this is the Broncos, so not known for taking fans feelings into account!

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Is it a sign that they are accepting that the Championship is their natural level, and that to aim for SL involves spending money and taking risks that they are no longer comfortable with? That way the club continues to exist, they continue their work developing local youngsters, bring them through to the pro ranks, then move the better ones on. Adopting that strategy probably means no need for the SL standard ground, with the rent that would involve, I was going to add that if that is the case then I don’t know how that sits with the fans though, but this is the Broncos, so not known for taking fans feelings into account!

I wouldn't necessarily say that is the case, in terms of signing for Championship.

I think Hughes has decided to play it extremely safe with covid, and not wanting to break the bank when he had no idea what was going to happen. 

I think the fact that it took so long for Battye to sign for Wakey shows how keen we were to try and keep ahold of him. 

The signings we have made so far have been good, we just need more of them !  Although unless we get a number of new players we won't be challenging next year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wakefield have too many highly strung forwards most notably the brilliant but erratic Fifita. Battye brings grunt and consistency, a total no nonsense up and at them type of prop, who can also play a bit. Excellent signing who despite being a relatively modest one catapults us right back up there.

Not every player needs to be an NRL star, sometimes they just need to be the missing piece of the jigsaw.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch
Link to post
Share on other sites

A spectacularly graceless statement from London with regards to a player whose commitment on the field was beyond doubt.

  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't expect Trin to share this at the moment but even when it's SRD pinching their players I feel for the Broncos. The idea that the Championship is where they belong is built on SL pilfering as much as anything else, it seems.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

   Solid player with good workrate,i fancied him for Fev but we have more forwards than we know what to do with.Glad he has got a S.L. contract.

I think he's a bit more than solid. True it's his graft that draws the eye but he's also quite smart, good offloader and for a prop scores a lot of tries. He's definitely got some quality.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oxford said:

I don't expect Trin to share this at the moment but even when it's SRD pinching their players I feel for the Broncos. The idea that the Championship is where they belong is built on SL pilfering as much as anything else, it seems.

Of course I don't agree, no club has had its talent base more pilfered than Trinity, London are not even close.

Two names off the top of my head, Gareth Ellis and Ben Westwood, makes Battye look a bit tame doesn't it?

Lets be fair, Battye isn't even a product of Londons junior set up, he was a speculator from Sheffield who turned out well, come on now.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Of course I don't agree, no club has had its talent base more pilfered than Trinity, London are not even close.

Two names off the top of my head, Gareth Ellis and Ben Westwood, makes Battye look a bit tame doesn't it?

Lets be fair, Battye isn't even a product of Londons junior set up, he was a speculator from Sheffield who turned out well, come on now.

Thanks for more than proving my point, though I didn't think I was being unfair to anyone there.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

A spectacularly graceless statement from London with regards to a player whose commitment on the field was beyond doubt.

The already poor communications have taken a sharp downward turn now that the commercial manager is writing them, with all the grace and eloquence he's displayed elsewhere on the internet.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I think he's a bit more than solid. True it's his graft that draws the eye but he's also quite smart, good offloader and for a prop scores a lot of tries. He's definitely got some quality.

True. He's really an old school #13.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

True. He's really an old school #13.

They call them middles now, but basically yes, a smaller, lighter prop with the skill set of a LF. I'd call him a Pocket Battleship. Paul Gallen was probably the first of this new breed, they quite literally battle up the middle, Arona is very similar player for Wakefield. All SL clubs seem to have one or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed watching Eddie Battye at the Broncos he always gave nothing less than 100% he will be sadly missed.

Looks like being a dogfight at the bottom now between Trinity/Leigh and Hull KR having a player like EB in your squad can only improve things for Wakey 

 

Paul

PS/Shame the ground isn't improved its an embarrassment on TV, no disrespect to any Wakey fans out there:(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...