Super League clubs reject private equity proposal

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

A lot of these private equity firms are only interested in one thing.Money.

They could not give a rats ass about anything else.
They should be steered well clear from.

Lots?

Point me to one that isn't - I'll think of something to sell them.

People called Romans they go the house

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

At the end of the story it says Sky is offering closer to £30m/yr not £20m for Super League TV rights. Why is that buried down there, not a story in its own right?!

Because Rugby League fans hate good news and it has to be sneaked in, like getting your cat to take medication. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It was a bad deal that looked somewhat predatory by vultures. 750k fee for no deal though, ouch! 

At the end of the story it says Sky is offering closer to £30m/yr not £20m for Super League TV rights. Why is that buried down there, not a story in its own right?!

They're hoping the lower tier clubs won't notice 😉

18 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

A lot of these private equity firms are only interested in one thing.Money.

They could not give a rats ass about anything else.
They should be steered well clear from.

A lot? Surely its all as its the whole reason behind their existence!

This is interesting because it is precisely what I have been saying on here, and arguing about with those in favour of this, for months. It just made no logical sense:

But, with Super League split broadly down the middle, some clubs are known to have opposed their involvement because it would mean that Novalpina would effectively take control of Super League and would get its money back in five years out of the broadcast income generated by the competition.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This is interesting because it is precisely what I have been saying on here, and arguing with those in favour of this about, for months. It just made no logical sense:

But, with Super League split broadly down the middle, some clubs are known to have opposed their involvement because it would mean that Novalpina would effectively take control of Super League and would get its money back in five years out of the broadcast income generated by the competition.

Wanting a 20% return on investment was a staggeringly bad deal for Super League. It would have been madness to accept it yet half the clubs seem to be willing to do so, thank heavens it had to be a unanimous decision.

Possibly the increased Sky offer has meant some clubs are feeling slightly less desperate now.

Good news and sensible given the control of SL remains the same.  I would like to see the RFL involved more though!

So, another £10m appears.  Could this be the result of Clubs playing through 2020 covid, demonstrating their worth to Sky?  

There is also no mention of Elstone negotiating ‘another’ £10m, which was part of his remit.  Was the PE company his one strategy?  

Feeling so relieved with this. Whatever money clubs have they will spend, they are never flush with cash. So obvious to me that taking this PE would have meant clubs still being in the same situation in 3 years time but receiving less from the sky income. Short term gain for long term pain. No thank you.

Archived