Schoey: Is the risk worth it outside Super League?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Total Rugby League said:

Garry Schofield sticks to his suggestion that clubs outside Super League should defer the start of their season until the coronavirus is clearly under control....

View the full article

Schoey is daring to say publicly what a lot of people are considering will be the outcome for '21 affecting those clubs on the outside of SL.

Would it be better to 'mothball' the season and await for next year, or keep limping along from one proposed start date to the next? 

The league seasons aren't scheduled to start for a while yet. I don't see any benefit to saying there can't be a season at this point in time. Only an idiot would pretend a season will definitely happen and be risk free.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The league seasons aren't scheduled to start for a while yet. I don't see any benefit to saying there can't be a season at this point in time. Only an idiot would pretend a season will definitely happen and be risk free.

Betfred Championship and League 1 clubs have targeted the weekend of March 21 as the return date for professional Rugby League outside the Betfred Super League – which will be one year and one week since they were last in action.

Report from the 22/01/2021.

It is odd to write off the season at this stage. These are people's jobs and livelihoods we are talking about, he should maybe be a little more considerate of that. I did see criticism on twitter from players. 

It shouldn't be ignored that modest sports events were held last year, at a time when we had no vaccine. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Betfred Championship and League 1 clubs have targeted the weekend of March 21 as the return date for professional Rugby League outside the Betfred Super League – which will be one year and one week since they were last in action.

Report from the 22/01/2021.

Yes, I know. Challenge Cup.

The Championship season is due to start in April; League 1 in May.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well try to start with it Hela.

I think that if he gave you the winning lottery numbers for this week you would still find something to criticise him for though.

I’d rather not. If I act like he’s not there and don’t give him or his employers the satisfaction in terms of hits to his drivel, he’ll eventually go away. Or so I hope.

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’d rather not. If I act like he’s not there and don’t give him or his employers the satisfaction in terms of hits to his drivel, he’ll eventually go away. Or so I hope.

Probably best not to comment in the first place then? I don’t pay any attention either though tbf. 

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

It is odd to write off the season at this stage. These are people's jobs and livelihoods we are talking about, he should maybe be a little more considerate of that. I did see criticism on twitter from players. 

It shouldn't be ignored that modest sports events were held last year, at a time when we had no vaccine. 

If games are played without crowds, their jobs and livelihoods will still be at stake.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That doesn't mean we decide in January to cancel the season. 

But just like the endless stupid questions asked of our politicians , there is no point in setting timeframes for starting , just to constantly keep putting them back , the govt will tell us when fans in enough numbers are to be let in , they will give more than enough notice 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That doesn't mean we decide in January to cancel the season. 

Exactly. Some form of season will be possible based on a decision made months from now.

You have to assume the people wanting to cancel now want rugby league to fail so they can feel justified in their moaning.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Exactly. Some form of season will be possible based on a decision made months from now.

You have to assume the people wanting to cancel now want rugby league to fail so they can feel justified in their moaning.

Isn’t that the raison d’etre of 75% of people on this forum? I can’t think of any other sport, or walk of life, where so many people involved enjoy wallowing in misery so much. 

I don’t want to see the Championship or Championship 1 mothballed again.

Last year yes it had to be unfortunately.

This year I think we simply have to see it resume if and it is a very big if it is financially feasible.

It is possible it might be as clubs will have had the central funding from last year in the bank plus this year.And the furlough will have helped.

Of course fans will have to be allowed back in at some stage for it to be feasible.Clubs could possibly now afford to post behind closed doors for a very limited period if as I hear games will be streamed on a PPV basis from what I gather.

Whether or not streaming will be for the whole season I don’t know.

I personally hope it is because quite honestly I suspect that in order for fans to be allowed back in we will have to be vaccinated,will have to wear a mask and see very strict unsocial distancing. And I am sorry but if these are the criteria then I for one will not be attending another game,and will not do so until things return to what they were.

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

But just like the endless stupid questions asked of our politicians , there is no point in setting timeframes for starting , just to constantly keep putting them back , the govt will tell us when fans in enough numbers are to be let in , they will give more than enough notice 

I don't think it is harmful to have a plan, I think everyone acknowledges that it is likely to move. 

I sampled the experience of watching live sport again last September.

Went along to half a dozen Non League Football games.

Lots of positive publicity up front regards how safe, well planned and sensibly controlled it all would be.

It was a farce.

Most of the precautions listed in the make believe Risk Assessments didn't exist, social distancing was basically ignored, spectators went where they wanted and did as they pleased. I spent most of the time trying to avoid Covid Deniers shadowing me. When it rained everyone crammed together under cover, the small stands resembled sardines in a tin.

The clubs main focus was bar takings. The clubhouses were rammed with boozers. Going to the toilets was a life threatening hazard, there were clowns acting like Covid never existed.

If lower level Rugby League takes the chance of letting crowds back in this season I sincerely hope they do it properly and not simply cash in like the silly football clubs.

Health and Safety is vitally important now more than ever, don't let profit and idiots risk peoples lives. 📈💰🤪

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think it is harmful to have a plan, I think everyone acknowledges that it is likely to move. 

Quite. Right now, we have, a 'best case scenario' plan. My personal view is that it's too optimistic but it is there and isn't just conjured out of nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Lots of positive publicity up front regards how safe, well planned and sensibly controlled it all would be safety wise.

It was a farce.

Most of the precautions listed in the make believe Risk Assessments didn't exist, social distancing was basically ignored, spectators went where they wanted and did as they pleased. I spent most of the time trying to avoid Covid Deniers shadowing me. When it rained everyone crammed together under cover, the small stands resembled sardines in a tin.

The clubs main focus was bar takings. The clubhouses were rammed with boozers. Going to the toilets was a life threatening hazard, there were clowns acting like Covid never existed.

If lower level Rugby League takes the chance of letting crowds back in this season I sincerely hope they do it properly and not simply cash in like the silly football clubs.

Health and Safety is vitally important now more than ever, don't let profit and idiots risk peoples lives. 📈💰🤪

This varied area to area. The clubhouses in Hastings and Rother were closed some of the time and, at others, were basically take away only with all seating removed.

I think, off the top of my head, I went to five different grounds. Two really did absolutely follow the rules. Two gave it a go but there were significant lapses. One was a joke. (All, incidentally, did follow the rules on numbers allowed so I  didn't see that broken). It's no coincidence that the one at the top is the one that has, consistently, the best stewarding anyway with people (even as volunteers) who do the job properly.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Quite. Right now, we have, a 'best case scenario' plan. My personal view is that it's too optimistic but it is there and isn't just conjured out of nowhere.

Yep. It’s already the second version of the plan for this season. No harm in continuing to change/adapt to an ever changing situation. This is just what has been made public. I’m sure there are alternative plans out there as and when required 

1 hour ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Lots of positive publicity up front regards how safe, well planned and sensibly controlled it all would be.

It was a farce.

Why did you go 'half a dozen' times if it was so life-threatening?

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Why did you go 'half a dozen' times if it was so life-threatening?

Checked my diary.

Went to 7 games.

The second game had a track & trace notepad, the fourth game had some 2 metre distance signs & a bottle of sanitiser in the toilets. The rest resembled anarchy.

Suppose I wanted to give it every chance of improving, sadly it didn't so I pulled the plug while I was still healthy.

Mind you this was the South West Peninsula League down in Cornwall. There are hardly any police here and most folk don't even consider themselves part of England. People tend to do as they please no matter what the subject. Cash is king, especially 'tourist or incomers from up country' money (which includes a lot of the Football watchers). 

Rules and safety precautions are well down the list of local necessities 😕

As far as admitting spectators is concerned, the Royal Horticultural Society has just announced that the Chelsea Flower Show is being put back from May to September. Given that they are a very large organisation with probably good sources of information this could indicate what government is thinking in private.

Archived