York City Knights

Happy to see BJB has found a club.  Another reason to cheer York on when the sport restarts.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

He's experienced and still pretty quick.  I hope he goes well, he's had some bad luck with injuries and illness in his career.

Indeed. He was unlucky with the illness that kept him out for a big chunk of 2019. Then covid struck and it was a while before he played again. His form on return was back to 2018 standards and he looked to have at least another year at SL level. 

Unfortunately, his contract was up and squads were reducing and a single year was maybe seen as a gamble in a squad with plenty of wingers.

Good luck to him. He will be a top class player at that level. 

33 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

You really are clueless.

Watch the first 20 minutes of the second half of the 2011 Grand Final. He wasn't quite good enough in the biggest game under the most pressure. Not so much a problem at Wakey, perhaps.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Watch the first 20 minutes of the second half of the 2011 Grand Final. He wasn't quite good enough in the biggest game under the most pressure. 

Can't believe that Rhino's fans reading this can let you get away with such a snide remark? 

The guy was part of a very good Rhino's team, being part of three Wembley finals, a Grand Final win and a rare World Club Champions win. 🏆

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

40 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Can't believe that Rhino's fans reading this can let you get away with such a snide remark? 

The guy was part of a very good Rhino's team, being part of three Wembley finals, a Grand Final win and a rare World Club Champions win. 🏆

Like I said above, he was a solid player but in my view was never reliable enough and was prone to horrendous mistakes. That 2011 GF was a key factor, so I understand, as to why the club ended up signing Briscoe - the club wanted the so-called 'All Star Backline' (Hardaker/Hall/Watkins/Moon/Briscoe) and he wasn't quite good enough to be part of it.

Serious question:

As York let a sizeable proportion of their crowd get in for free how can they finance good quality players like BJB?

It's all very well trying to make the ground look half full, longer term you've got to have money coming in.

8 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Serious question:

As York let a sizeable proportion of their crowd get in for free how can they finance good quality players like BJB?

It's all very well trying to make the ground look half full, longer term you've got to have money coming in.

You mean kids? What an odd thing to say. Are you really arguing that encouraging future supporters is a bad thing?

Judging by the lack of youngsters I see at other grounds on my travels maybe this is a strategy other clubs should look to adopt. You know...... looking to the future.

20 minutes ago, JonT said:

You mean kids? What an odd thing to say. Are you really arguing that encouraging future supporters is a bad thing?

Judging by the lack of youngsters I see at other grounds on my travels maybe this is a strategy other clubs should look to adopt. You know...... looking to the future.

Think it's more a case of York wanting to sell an image of how big a club they are in the area. There has been plenty of silly talk about them getting bigger crowds than more established clubs in Yorkshire.

A sparsely attended new stadium isn't going to push the case or compliment the marketing objectives.

Bet they count every kid attending the game for free in the attendance.

Hope it's worth it for the club financially, especially based upon numerous European Sport Studies which researched the percentage of youths attending free ticket sporting events, the findings pointed to over 90% walking away from events when their adulthood meant they had to pay to get in.

At least give the get in free gimmick some credibility, why not just provide a 5 game free kids ticket to an under 16 who comes along with an adult season ticket holder. That would offer a degree of realism to your remark regards "looking to the future" 👍🙂

13 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Indeed. He was unlucky with the illness that kept him out for a big chunk of 2019. Then covid struck and it was a while before he played again. His form on return was back to 2018 standards and he looked to have at least another year at SL level. 

Unfortunately, his contract was up and squads were reducing and a single year was maybe seen as a gamble in a squad with plenty of wingers.

Good luck to him. He will be a top class player at that level. 

Wakefield offered him a contract according to the interview in LE but he wanted a "new challenge".

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Think it's more a case of York wanting to sell an image of how big a club they are in the area. There has been plenty of silly talk about them getting bigger crowds than more established clubs in Yorkshire.

A sparsely attended new stadium isn't going to push the case or compliment the marketing objectives.

Bet they count every kid attending the game for free in the attendance.

Hope it's worth it for the club financially, especially based upon numerous European Sport Studies which researched the percentage of youths attending free ticket sporting events, the findings pointed to over 90% walking away from events when their adulthood meant they had to pay to get in.

At least give the get in free gimmick some credibility, why not just provide a 5 game free kids ticket to an under 16 who comes along with an adult season ticket holder. That would offer a degree of realism to your remark regards "looking to the future" 👍🙂

How many other Championship clubs also allow u-16's in for free or a truly nominal amount?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, M j M said:

Found his level?

(I'll admit it, his performance in the 2011 Grand Final still gives me nightmares).

How disrespectful he has been a great SL player whoever he has played for, I am pretty certain he will be great in the Championship even if he is a yard of pace shorter.

Archived