Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Cannot see a thread, so I started one.  Of course, the big question at the moment is - will it happen?  We are really racing against the clock now and the organisers recently said they will make a decision in March, with 3 options on the table:

1) Tournament goes ahead as normal
2) Tournament goes ahead, with certain crowd restrictions
3) Tournament is postponed until 2022
Source:  https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/13/covid-vaccine-roll-out-key-to-world-cup/

Now, normally I hate discussing the pandemic, especially on here, but I was watching the news tonight and heard some interesting figures regarding the vaccine.  While most European nations are still in the single digits, UK has already reached 11.3% of the population.  I wonder if they can get over the 50% mark by the summer? Surely things are looking good for the WC.  But of course, the organisers have committed to making the decision earlier and of course there will be many other things to factor into the decision, that go beyond the vaccine.

Basically, what they will need to weigh up as well is:  being the first major tournament to be played again in the UK (albeit with reduced capacity) vs having a full, unhindered tournament in 2022.  I really hope we can pull it off in time!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


In reality I wonder how many spectators / supporters they lose if only UK / Europe based people attended?  That includes Aussies, Kiwis etc living / working over there.

When I attended in 2013 having flown over from OZ I don't recall meeting to many Antipodean types who were just visiting like I was doing.  Most were young travellers doing the big overseas trip or people now permanently based over there.

With the Australian government not being that confident of outbound international flights getting back to normal levels in 2021 I can't see the Australian - based visitors adding to the attendance figures. 

 

 

 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Why would the ones living/working there not be allowed to attend? 

Misunderstanding here unfortunate LP 😁

I was including them in the UK / Europe population not excluding. Just highlighting them ....poorly it seems 😁

 

 

  • Like 1

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it did get delayed to 2022.... I wonder if that would be to the detriment or betterment of any participants? 

Give a rising star like say Welsby another year to improve his game..or one year too far for a fading star ? 

Maybe provide a team like Jamaica more time to have a game or two together ? 

 

 

 

 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually think a WC in England, is less effected than a WC in Australia would have been.  For WC '17, a few thousand English fans made the trip over.  No team will draw that kind of travelling support to a WC in England.  Just a handful of players' friends & family really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's impossible to say what will be happening by late October, 

If it can go ahead with unrestricted crowds then fine, if restricted or no crowds then I'd be inclined to delay until Oct 2022 imo 

RLWC needs the cash so it can continue developing and improving, they are hoping to get a total of 750,000 supporter's to attend games, an increase of 50% on 2013, and doubling the numbers from 2017 in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. Ticket revenue is expected to make up 40% to 45% of the 2021 budget. So the RLWC is heavily reliant on tickets sales.

 

 

 

 

Edited by 2blackrooks
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

It's impossible to say what will be happening by late October, 

If it can go ahead with unrestricted crowds then fine, if restricted or no crowds then I'd be inclined to delay until Oct 2022 imo 

RLWC needs the cash so it can continue developing and improving, they are hoping to get a total of 750,000 supporter's to attend games, an increase of 50% on 2013, and doubling the numbers from 2017 in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. Ticket revenue is expected to make up 40% to 45% of the 2021 budget. So the RLWC is heavily reliant on tickets sales.

 

 

 

 

The football World Cup starts in November 2022 in Qatar. I don't think there will be much appetite to overlap it with the Rugby League world cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/01/2021 at 10:21, langpark said:

I actually think a WC in England, is less effected than a WC in Australia would have been.  For WC '17, a few thousand English fans made the trip over.  No team will draw that kind of travelling support to a WC in England.  Just a handful of players' friends & family really.

2017’s overall attendance was 382,080. 2013’s was 458,483. It would almost certainly be a bigger issue for the UK than Australia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

2017’s overall attendance was 382,080. 2013’s was 458,483. It would almost certainly be a bigger issue for the UK than Australia. 

I meant UK is less 'reliant' on travelling fans than a WC in Aus is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, langpark said:

I meant UK is less 'reliant' on travelling fans than a WC in Aus is. 

It’s less reliant on fans from Australia to England than England to Australia. It’s more reliant on fans than Australia is and a World Cup scrapped would be worse for us than Australia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s less reliant on fans from Australia to England than England to Australia. It’s more reliant on fans than Australia is and a World Cup scrapped would be worse for us than Australia. 

True most years, but didn't they secure some hefty govt. funding this time around? 

Don't get me wrong, I want nothing less than zero.crowd restrictions, but it will be a real dilemma for them if they are allowed say 50% or even 75% crowds.

Edited by langpark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/02/2021 at 11:32, DimmestStar said:

The football World Cup starts in November 2022 in Qatar. I don't think there will be much appetite to overlap it with the Rugby League world cup.

RLWC start 22nd Oct due to finish 27th Nov 

World cup due to start on 22nd Nov so it is possible with no conflict on BBC, 

They could even start it a week earlier so to avoid conflict totally and plenty of time to sort it.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
On 30/01/2021 at 19:02, The Partisan said:

If it did get delayed to 2022.... I wonder if that would be to the detriment or betterment of any participants? 

Give a rising star like say Welsby another year to improve his game..or one year too far for a fading star ? 

Maybe provide a team like Jamaica more time to have a game or two together ? 

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately it is all but announced that this will be the sceanario.

I believe by 5.00pm Thursday Australian time we should have an official statement from the organisers.

A player like Cherry - Evans is probably going to be one year too old now....and young Roosters half Walker may be ready for senior national honours.

Hopefully the likes of England, France, Jamaica and Celtic naions get some games under their belt to prepare for the postponed event.

 

 

 

 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 30/01/2021 at 04:35, The Partisan said:

In reality I wonder how many spectators / supporters they lose if only UK / Europe based people attended?  That includes Aussies, Kiwis etc living / working over there.

When I attended in 2013 having flown over from OZ I don't recall meeting to many Antipodean types who were just visiting like I was doing.  Most were young travellers doing the big overseas trip or people now permanently based over there.

With the Australian government not being that confident of outbound international flights getting back to normal levels in 2021 I can't see the Australian - based visitors adding to the attendance figures. 

 

 

 

TBH the 2012 Olympics had support for every country based in London or the rest of the UK. I think it will be fine. Tories keep telling us they want more Anzacs over here now we are out of the EU anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...