Sky shelves ‘rugby’ channel

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/01/2021 at 23:14, M j M said:

Absolutely this. You may as well bolt together ice hockey and field hockey in a hockey channel. The crossover in viewers is minimal and indeed many of the desirable time slots will clash. It makes no sense to me.

You don’t get too many field hockey players making the transition to ice hockey...in fact you get none. Nor do you get too many casual observers mistaking field hockey for ice hockey...in fact, you get none. It’s disingenuous not to acknowledge the similarity of the rugby codes. 

Comparing them is kinda like doing so to Rounders and its offshoot Baseball. If you are a back in RU you most certainly can play RL (some forwards too), if you can play Rounders you obviously can play baseball.

On 28/01/2021 at 12:16, Tommygilf said:

Interestingly, RU is moving towards that (at least in England) with all games filmed centrally. It certainly seems to be the way things are going and I wouldn't be surprised to see the English Championship doing the same soon too.

FWIW this is perhaps the only concrete strategy I would have for PE investment in RL.

Interestingly - womens RU provides a different solution. As there is basically no money in it the prem 15's clubs are filming themselves with their own comentary and putting it out on YouTube

As there are no vested interests to feel they are being diddled out of paying subscribers htere is no backlash and should I so wish I could watch Exeter vs Saracens for nothing either live or after the event. The sound quality can be iffy on a bad weather day but the commentary is generally by someone knowledgeable form the home club at least

18 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Interestingly - womens RU provides a different solution. As there is basically no money in it the prem 15's clubs are filming themselves with their own comentary and putting it out on YouTube

As there are no vested interests to feel they are being diddled out of paying subscribers htere is no backlash and should I so wish I could watch Exeter vs Saracens for nothing either live or after the event. The sound quality can be iffy on a bad weather day but the commentary is generally by someone knowledgeable form the home club at least

I really don't think Super League should be looking at a £30 million deal to nothing though!

Perhaps for League 1 its got potential

55 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I really don't think Super League should be looking at a £30 million deal to nothing though!

Perhaps for League 1 its got potential

I meant for the lower leagues to get their product out there - then if they get a bunch of people watching they can go to TV companies in future and say X people watched our stream. PLus if we arent allowed crowds it allows supporters to support and it allows non heartland peeps (like me) to watch lower level games which a lot of the time i only het to watch in the few early rnd challenge cup games the BBC is prepared to let us see

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

You don’t get too many field hockey players making the transition to ice hockey...in fact you get none. Nor do you get too many casual observers mistaking field hockey for ice hockey...in fact, you get none. It’s disingenuous not to acknowledge the similarity of the rugby codes. 

Comparing them is kinda like doing so to Rounders and its offshoot Baseball. If you are a back in RU you most certainly can play RL (some forwards too), if you can play Rounders you obviously can play baseball.

Sorry but no, being able to play rounders doesn't mean someone can play baseball, they're very different sports.  I checked out some rounders footage of a senior match between England and Wales and I even think that softball might be a tough transition for those gals.  The teams from the US and Japan which played in the Grand Final (they used the original 4-team McIntyre playoff system so that's the right name for the title decider) of the 2018 Women's Softball World Championship might be able to beat them at rounders too.

Archived